search sponsored by:
Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Dimple Dimple is offline
LawnSite Member
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hastings, NE
Posts: 29
Aquiring a City Business license and...

Is an LLC all I need to cover my smaller scale business? Is an operating license required in all cities to become a legally run mowing company? What does this cost? Are there any other permits required, and what are their costs?

Also, where can one obtain business insurance and how much does that cost?

Are there any minimum numbers of accounts needed before the permits, insurance, etc. become mandatory?

Thanks for your answer if you do answer...

Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Assuredlandscape's Avatar
Assuredlandscape Assuredlandscape is offline
LawnSite Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Milwaukee Wisconsin
Posts: 63
price out insurance depending on what you all want to cover. and how much you want it to cover. I got a good deal and went thru a broker and he got me a great price. As far as permits it depends on the city code and if it required. It is normally required when doing a big scale job. Insurance will save you if you have any accidents.
2-toro wb 36"
48" Ferris wb
52" toro grandstand
12' trailer
10' trailer
1997 dodge
1995 chevy tahoe
stihl backpack blower BR-550
echo backpack blower
4 stihl straight shaft trimmer FS 90
push mower
ATV with plow
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:48 PM
motorscot's Avatar
motorscot motorscot is offline
LawnSite Member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Birmingham, Al
Posts: 133
I currently do work in 4 cities, but have permits (business license) for 2. One was $50 and the other $110.

You might not have an issue with working without permits, but you never know. Down here, the police have better things to do than follow LCOs around checking for proper paperwork. You could run into someone that wants to hire you and then call the city to check to see if you are legal. There is also the LCO that calls the city to have them come and spot-check you since you are competing with them.

An LLC is your best bet, and some banks will do all the groundwork for you if you use them for your business accounts (mine did). You will need Liability coverage of 1-2 million to cover everything and to get most commercial accounts. Mine is $133/month, but I'm covered for damages to windows and little Johnny's eye from rocks, etc.

There is no minimum number of accounts necessary. Aim high.
Shelby Lawn Enforcement
"Bringing Lawn and Order to Grass Everywhere"

My stuff: black truck pulling a trailer with lawn equipment in it

Stop Lowballing!!
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Layout Style:

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:19 AM.

Page generated in 0.06607 seconds with 10 queries