Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2010, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

another question: Bolt the floor boards down?

I'm taking up my floor boards so I can spray paint the chassis. This equipment trailer (no idea what it was for) has 1.5" square cross braces every foot or so. Here is the kicker- every other one has 3 carriage bolts per board! about 100 total in whole floor! (14ftx6ft) and even on the ends of boards so as there is no metal covering either of ends of boards on trailer. the boards sit slightly higher than frame. I can weld plate across both ends (once I figure how to raise it slightly above boards) but do I even need to bolt it down again after securing both ends? what about maybe just middle area..or say about 4.5ft in from each end- so only 2 rows of bolts across? any input appreciated- thanks
Old 03-07-2010, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I would weld the flat pieces on the top and bottom, this will prevent the wood from curling up over time, and hold the boards down too, but for good measure you could use bolts in the center too. Maybe just one bolt in the center of each board, any more than that will just be over kill. A little hint, weld a piece of angle to the ends of the flat pieces with the "legs" pointing down, this will allow it to clear the boards that stick up above the frame and give more area to weld to.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Mike..

Thanks Mike..Glad to hear that- really don't want to use that many bolts again. The Boards only stick up 1/8" to maybe 3/16" above the frame on ends. That 'angle' you mentioned would have to be 1/4" wouldn't it? weld the flat under one side then have othe end of angle go straight down to frame? if so then I'd have a 1/4 inch piece to drive over which is no big deal..or guess could use say 3" wide flat and have angle right at end of frame? note: Haven't built a ramp yet so the change of height at rear not big deal if need be. Perfer not to add more than needed thou. Thanks alot on reply..maybe confirm if I'm seeing what you mean right. Geno
Old 03-07-2010, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Well, if your pieces of flat steel are 1 or 2" wide and, you could go with 1/4" thick steel, but really 1/8" thick steel would work fine too, and you are welding the little pieces of angle to the ends of these flat steel pieces, it would be no higher than the flat piece itself. Im talking about cutting the angle pieces to the same width as the flat piece, 1or 2" I assume, and then either butt welding or or a fillet weld with the angles "legs" pointing down, it would clear the boards to go to the frame, but if the boards only stick up around 1/8" or little more, you may be able to just bend the ends of the flat piece down a little bit? That would be alot easier than welding angle pieces to it, and look alot better.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks..

good idea mike- gives me some food for thought. I'll keep that in mind when I get that far..right now sill 'busting' almost all those old bolts off..almost every one is spinning in wood (carriage bolts) so back-n-forth with vise grip until breaks. about 18 off..82 to go. Geno
Old 03-07-2010, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Geez, good luck with that!!!