Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2010, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Questions about adding spraying & fertilizing service to my lawn mowing business - MN

I sent out a customer survey last fall to my 50+ lawn mowing customers (1/3 acre on average). About 40 of them requested that I add on a spraying & fertilizing service to their properties. I am taking the pesticide applicators test next week. I am also looking into registering for fertilizing application in MN. I am considering purchasing one of two herbicide sprayers:

The prolawn spray shield ESC 52 $1300
http://www.prolawnsprayshields.com/product/esc52_2.html

OR

The rittenhouse earthway S25 $450
http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/product.asp?PG=2280

The first one has a shielded spray system, the other does not.

I also will need to buy a granular fertilizer/pre emergent spreader and am considering buying this model:

http://earthway.com/product/commercial-1/

I plan on offering my customers a pre emergent granular herbicide application (with nitrogen based fertilizer) 'weed n feed' type of product in early/ mid may. I also plan on offering a Trimec type spray application later in may and early to mid june. Then a Trimec or 2,4-D spray application in the mid fall. The main weed problems in my customers lawns are: dandilion, creeping charlie, clover, broadleaf plantain, and yellow nutsedge.

I am asking for other professionals advice in the MN/ MIDWEST region, to see if there is anything I am missing regarding application times? Or do I have a good base idea for starting a spray/fertilize operation within my lawn mowing business?

Let me know, I'd be glad to hear from you!

Thanks!
Mike
Old 03-07-2010, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The only thing I would check is if you can even apply legally.

Check with the ag department to see if you need verifiable experience to apply pesticides and a business license. Here in Michigan you need two years verifiable experience before you can get a business license. Thats NOT an applicators license.

Anyone can get those by paying 75 bucks and passing the quiz.

All states are different though.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All you need in MN is your cat A&E as you know considering your taking the test soon, i would check your spray program though, if you have clover issues, 2,4-d will kill it but might take a while, momentum FX2 will kill it in a day, go to your nearest John Deere Landscapes store (lesco) and speak with them, they will set you up with the right program, and give you diffrent options. Speaking with the JDL rep is how i learned what and when to apply. you can also go to Johndeerelandscapes.com and it will give you the nearest dealer. Good luck...i think it will be a good choice to expand to chem. work....it was for me. As far as application equipment...most of the boys here use either a ride-on spreader sprayer, or a skid sprayer and a push spreader, you can buy used reasonably priced, thats what i did.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Your on the right track. I question the equipment a bit but you need to start somewhere. There is some used permagreens on craigslist for cheap in St Cloud.

Guys in my area use the 19-0-6 .10 dimension when ground temps get right then 3 more rounds of fert. Momentum FX early June spot when needed after that. The one last spray when the first hard frost comes (this will get the creeping charlie gone and spring will not have many weeds).

Stop by a lesco and get more of your local info also.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice! i'll check out the John Deere Landscapes website, keep the advice coming, I appreciate it!
Old 03-07-2010, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a Permagreen for sale in Indiana if you would consider a drive.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

How much for the permagreen, and what condition? I haven't researched the permagreens yet, what do i need to know about them? Is calibration difficult?
Old 03-08-2010, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premium Properties Lawns View Post
How much for the permagreen, and what condition? I haven't researched the permagreens yet, what do i need to know about them? Is calibration difficult?
I see there is one for sale in Plymouth, Mn for $2400.00 dollars, might be worth your time to look at it, there is a loot of info on PG's on this site, just type it in on the search screen and read away.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would recommend a shurflo backpack: http://www.sprayingequipmentsupply.c...k-sprayer.html

Spyker Spreader:
http://www.spyker.com/

For tough weeds like clover & creeper, you need more than 24d. At use least tri-mec, we use surge or t-zone to control the tough weeds. Q4 round 2 or 3 for crabgrass break thrus. Spot spray every app, if you do nothing round 1 for weeds, it will be tougher on you the rest of the year.
2004 Perma Green Ultra
2 Spyker 288 Supers
6 Shurflo electric backpacks
2 Husqvarna 356 low noise blowers
Ryan Mataway Overseeder
Plugr PL845 Pro VS
Plugr PL410H
Old 03-08-2010, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Bros View Post
I would recommend a shurflo backpack: http://www.sprayingequipmentsupply.c...k-sprayer.html

Spyker Spreader:
http://www.spyker.com/

For tough weeds like clover & creeper, you need more than 24d. At use least tri-mec, we use surge or t-zone to control the tough weeds. Q4 round 2 or 3 for crabgrass break thrus. Spot spray every app, if you do nothing round 1 for weeds, it will be tougher on you the rest of the year.
Rd 1 you are putting pre down, so you ARE doing something for weeds. Pre's control more than just crab. It seems to me a waste of time trying to hunt down broadleafs in April when germination really has not occurred yet - soil temps too low. I don't apply selectives until May with my 2nd Rd, to knock out that first good round of germinating broadleafs. Then spot during the summer and possibly blanket again late Aug after the late surge.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13

Tags
fertilizing , herbicide , license , minnesota , spraying