Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2010, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Here in KY, you could drive around town using a Ford Ranger to tow a backhoe on a dual tire dovetail trailer(if this was possible) and the police would not even stop you!! Ive seen a guy towing a backhoe on one of those huge dual tire gooseneck equipment trailers with a f250, I have no idea how that truck was pulling it, but he does it quite often and I assume he never gets stopped? It is only certain states that enforce towing laws.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewellmark View Post
Have you ever seen a dump truck with the "construction vehicle do not follow" on the back of it???? Next time you see one, take note that every single one of those trucks have an amber "snow plowing" light, usually mounted on the mirrors. It is a DOT reg that "can" be aplied to landscapers if the DOT trooper wants to. Dont forget laws are all up to enturpretation, and if its in the V & T law book a trooper or town cop can write you a ticket for it even if it really doesnt apply to "your occupation". It all sucks because just when you think your good and have nothing to worry about, half the rules change. Somewhere on the internet there is a site that sells DOT rule books, but Im sure their written so normal peaple couldnt understand them, and there updated every 6 months. And their like 70 a set (1 owner responsibilties and 1 drivers responsibilities )
Its funny too that Joe non-business can hook up almost anything but as soon as the business sign and DOT# goes on trouble starts. I mean how many 70+ year olds do you see driving those massive motor homes with no requirements but towing a small trailer holding 2 mowers gets you in all sorts of trouble. Plus with all of NYS fiscal problems they will be going after every penny they can get! Oh well I will try and stay low profile the best I can.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2010, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

DOT is very lax on checking light duty trucks and trailers here in Ontario. The DOT equivalent here is the MTO (Ministry of Transporation). Anything with dual axles has to enter a truck scale when they call for it along the highway, but around town, they hardly pull anyone over these days. Here, Police in all branches don't have the authority unless they notice something obvious, to write you a ticket for an offense. Something like running a flat bed load that's not secured they can stop you on, but for not having two 5K rated straps on a 10K load is up to the MTO whether or not to ticket you.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Here in NY its crazy, I think we all know to use heavy enough straps or chains, here the DOT will write you a ticket if the (heavy enough) strap is not DOT approved. Same goes for gas cans,light lens', mirrors, etc. Hell they can even write you for unsecured articles in the cab....Hats, gloves, coats, hand tools, trash etc. its just crazy. If they cant find something easy to write you on then you usually get a "stupid" ticket like mentioned above.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewellmark View Post
Hell they can even write you for unsecured articles in the cab....Hats, gloves, coats, hand tools, trash etc. its just crazy. If they cant find something easy to write you on then you usually get a "stupid" ticket like mentioned above.
Unsecured PILLOW! Ack!