Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-09-2010, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Do bad boy mowers hold up in the long run?

I am considering buying the bad boy lightning z with either the 31hp air cooled kaw or the 26hp liquid cooled. Either that or the pup with the 30hp kohler. My question is for anyone who has operated or operates a bad boy mower.
What brakes on them?
Do their non greasable spindles last?
Also, can the bearings be replaced on the spindle without junking the whole thing?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm about a year into my BB Lightning Z w/ Kawasaki 31 52"... So far no problems...
Peco Triple Bagger
Husqvarna 180 Back Pack Blower
Husqvarna 323L Trimmer
Husqvarna 455 Rancher Saw
Power Trim Walk Behind Edger
John Deere 21" Walk Behind
Old 03-09-2010, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Member

We have run a Bad Boy Lighting Z 60" 26 hp water cooled Kawasaki for two years commercially. Nothing has broke or needed replaced except the blades and or course oil filters when we change oil. We have run gravely commercial,
John Deere and Kubota. We have been extremely pleased with our BB, we just called the dealer yesterday and am going to buy another one. We are going to buy a BB Outlaw with 50" deck and 31 hp motor.
We run our decks with a 1.5 degree forward slope. Don't listen to the crap about cut quality being any different by the guys willing to pay 2-3 thousand more to run a Ex-Mark, Scag, we have cut side by side with these guys and if your blades are sharp and the deck is set right you can't tell the difference.
Bad Boys are extremely tough and durable. The 26hp Kawasaki water cooled is extremely easy on fuel. We going with the 31hp on the BB outlaw for heavy/heavy mowing conditions it has a little more torque, but will burn more fuel and will be louder. We like the 26 hp kawasaki because it's so quiet.
Can't go wrong with the BB in my opinion.
Lightning Z 60" 26 HP LC Kawasaki
Diesel AOS 60" 35 HP CAT Diesel
Stihl Trimmers, FS 74, 80(3) 90R
Stihl Blowers
Shindawia 242 trimmer
Kubota push mowers
JD Farm Equipment
Bridgeport Mill
Old 03-09-2010, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sais13579 View Post
I am considering buying the bad boy lightning z with either the 31hp air cooled kaw or the 26hp liquid cooled. Either that or the pup with the 30hp kohler. My question is for anyone who has operated or operates a bad boy mower.
What brakes on them?
Do their non greasable spindles last?
Also, can the bearings be replaced on the spindle without junking the whole thing?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Sealed spindles last a long time if you don't pressure wash them , and the obvious don't mow where ther are onjects hidden that will break a spindle greasable or sealed. I have several over 3000 hrs. If the bearing goes out I just buy a new one , but if you want to you could replace the bearings if the damage is minimal. Look at the BB Outlaw and see if you like that one too.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 03-09-2010, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i cant believe a BB thread that has not gone negative yet. i think they are made well, but recently talked with a LS member that demoed one and thought it was really a big pile of doo doo. said it was too top heavy, and i would say that part is right, especially for the bigger aos models.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input, it is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 60" with the 32 briggs. I am very happy with mine. Great cut and built like a tank. I have never felt uneasy about the center of gravity like some who haven't seen one comment on. Don't listen to the fools that have never seen or run one. I would run mine against anything on the market. I have had wright and exmark and demoed a couple of Toros before I bought the BB. Some of you guys that post negative comments in the BB threads that have never seen or run one make me laugh.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucec View Post
I have a 60" with the 32 briggs. I am very happy with mine. Great cut and built like a tank. I have never felt uneasy about the center of gravity like some who haven't seen one comment on. Don't listen to the fools that have never seen or run one. I would run mine against anything on the market. I have had wright and exmark and demoed a couple of Toros before I bought the BB. Some of you guys that post negative comments in the BB threads that have never seen or run one make me laugh.
Wait Wait Wait, im not going to bash BB here. I have run one and Have also run exmarks and Toros, And I am probably one of the most anti exmark people on here. BB seems to be doing a good job at trying to compete with the big companies. But they are no where near where toro company is at. Lets keep this to Apples VS Apples.
Wright
Snapper
Snapper pro
Redmax
Snow ex
Blizzard plows
Boss plows
And fix all the rest...
Old 03-10-2010, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had my lightning exactly 1 year.......happy birthday, it's her first birthday! lol At any rate I've been extremely satisfied with mine and have had no major problems. I completed the 50 hour service mid-way through last season and I just got her out of storage yesterday and have begun the spring tune-up. I'm flushing the hydraulics, oil change, lube, blades, etc... and it's ready to go. I'll list off the only "issues" that I've run into over the last year.

For reference, I have the 60" Lightning with the 26 kawi and now have 100 hours on it.

Issues:

- One wheel bearing in the front caster went bad. Two minute call to BB and in two days had a replacement at no charge.

- Gas gauge went out at the end of last year. same result as above at no cost. After pulling the "bad" one I actually was able to fix it as the float mechanism just needed adjusting. I now have a spare, technically it didn't break

- Had to replace the two rubber handles on control arms. Same result as above at no cost. This was actually caused by me when lifting the seat. It rubs against the ends and just wore holes in the ends. I've since realized another way to do it by simply pressing the sticks all the way forward and let the seat rest on them. problem solved.

- Broke a belt. Again this was a freak thing that I did when I engaged the blades on an incline where the deck was kinda cocked and it simply jumped the pulley and was sliced in half.

That's it. Nothing major at all. To answer your question on the spindles, yes the bearings (they are sealed) can be replaced in sets of two. There is a blow-up in the service manual that shows this. Simply press them out, order new and you should be back in business for short money.

Best of luck in your search, I think you will be very pleased with the BB should you go that route.
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter
- Custom FIMCO boomless spray rig

1989 John Deer 1070 Compact Tractor - 40hp/4WD
- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

1993 John Deere Gator 6x4
- HD Field Trax tires
- brush/fender guards
- hydraulic dump bed w/storage and bed cover
- 2" receiver hitch
- HD front suspension
Old 03-11-2010, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like they make a great product, and have excellent customer service. Their also made in the USA.

Sold!