Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-09-2010, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Is Troy Bilt any good?

I have heard mix match stories about troy bilt mowers and how they are shitty is this true, and if so are any of there products worth looking at like there hand held blowers or hedge cutters?

thanks dave,
Old 03-09-2010, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I had a troybuilt string trimmer,years ago,it was hard as hell to start and the bump head never worked right,I gave it away,and that was back when I was just doing my own lawn
Old 03-09-2010, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Stay away from Troybilt mower. I have the then top of the line mower for home owner use, It is less than 3 years old with once a week mowing. One wheel is dangling, the deck bend out of shape from hitting something. It clogged all the time until I increase the rpm quite a bit. The bag opening is very small that it is hard to empty the bag...........Need I continue??

I think the mower is made by MTD that makes Crapsman also. The engine is the bottom of the line B&S Quantum crap.

If you are looking for a cheap mower, look at Husky 7021.

I have the Troybilt 4 cycle 25cc trimmer. The head is not good, but the motor works great. If you can change to a speed feed head, I think it works.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Their tillers are even crap now. The ones made before MTD bought them out are great. But I wouldn't trust their mowers as far as I could throw them.

'99 Dodge Ram 2500 reg cab long bed
'91 JD Lx172 38"/ bagger
'11 JD X300 48"
22'' '66 Western Auto Wizard
21"push mower/w bagger
Stihl KM 90 w/trimmer,tiller, and hedge trimmer
Husquvarna BT130
MTD 3.5 HP edger
AgraFab 17 cb ft trailer
Precise-Fit Areator
Random dethacher
Precise-Fit lawn sweeper

"Never Give Up! Never Surrender!"
Old 03-09-2010, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Member

i have the largest troy built edger there is to buy at lowes its like 156cc 4 cycle its the big one around 300 well i have not took it out of the box yet should i? or should i take it back get in store credit and get a smaller edger and a good hedge trimer to? its very large has 4 or 5 wheels. what do ya think?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2010, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxuryLawnCare View Post
i have the largest troy built edger there is to buy at lowes its like 156cc 4 cycle its the big one around 300 well i have not took it out of the box yet should i? or should i take it back get in store credit and get a smaller edger and a good hedge trimer to? its very large has 4 or 5 wheels. what do ya think?
Posted via Mobile Device
I think you'll be better serve if you pay a little more to get a commercial brand. Troybilt is not cheap like Ryobi ( might be the same with different name only) or Homelite etc. The price is between the el cheapo and the commercial with quality more on the el cheapo side.

I can't say too many negative things about my 4 cycle Troybilt trimmer but I did pay close to $200 for that. I think I'd be better serve buying an Echo SRM210 at the time. The mower was a joke.....even for home owner use.

I looked at the Troybilt hedge trimmers, they are the cheap type of blades, not even the true blades. It is like those paper scissors that is not a knife edge. I don't think you can sharpen it. YOu want to get commercial equipments, get on ebay and look at Kawasaki hand held new for really cheap.

For mower, check out Husky 7021, they are in $270 to $330 range depend on specific. They are have ball bearing wheels and the deck seems thicker with Either Honda GCV160 or Kohlor XT-7 engine. Much better than the B&S Quantum engine on Troybilt/Crapsman!!!

Far as I know, Troybilt biggest bp is only 32cc. That is peewee!!!! You the Husky 125 hand held, it would be stronger for $149 or Echo PB265 hand held for $169 or Stihl BG55. These are low end commercial stuff that you can't go wrong. You can step up with the Husky 150Bt for $299 bp that can blow all Troybilt out of the water.

Last edited by Alan0354; 03-09-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Everything with the Troybilt name on it is total crap now, and I mean everything. I was a dealer for Cub and Troybilt for one year. Never want to have to deal with that junk again. Stay away from that brand, far away.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I live in the original Troy-Bilt town,Troy NY.It was a shame what happened to the company.The CEO ran it into the ground with his on private jet,buying stairmaster,etc.Their tillers were top notch and most everybody in the area had one.My familiy has 5.They just keep running and running.
MTD cheapened up the entire line.It will never be the same.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They suck...their product has chinese motors now....it's sad..troy built used to be quality and now they're junk! Buy Stihl!
Old 03-10-2010, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a google search on "the man to said no to walmart" and that will show you what happend to trybuilt in a nutshell. Its a great article.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/...n_snapper.html Here you go Il post it up for ya.
Wright
Snapper
Snapper pro
Redmax
Snow ex
Blizzard plows
Boss plows
And fix all the rest...