Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2010, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Home Depot is who sells Echo and Lowes sells Husqvarna. There is a true value hardware store around here that sells stihl and exmark. But it is independently owned, that is the key word here. Stihl is dead set against the big box stores and will never sell any of their stuff in one. Wish more companies had the same feeling! I should mention that the Echo you buy at home depot IS NOT the same as one you buy at an independent dealer, I found that out last year, the home depot models use certain cheaper parts. There should not be any difference in prices for Stihl either, if that Ace hardware is selling them for more, you need to let stihl know that. Stihls prices are set for every dealer and are the exact same price everywhere, even down to the penny! Those a**holes at Ace are just trying to make more profit.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a couple of troy bilt 4 cycle trimmers a few years back when I first started out. They work fine for about 6 months or so and then one day, they stop. Nobody will work on them, so you have to trash them and be something else. Bite the bullet, buy commercial from a dealer and they will keep your equipment running for years and you'll come out ahead in the long run.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i still find it hard to believe stihl is selling there equipment any where else except the dealers. i've never seen any good lawn equipment in any of the big box stores or even the little guys like ace or true value. i know home depot does carry toro but thats the only quality equipment i've ever seen at a big box store.

i wish you could get commercial equipment at the big box stores.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarebreedx5 View Post
I have heard mix match stories about troy bilt mowers and how they are shitty is this true, and if so are any of there products worth looking at like there hand held blowers or hedge cutters?

thanks dave,
to me, if it dont cost no more than 300.00 green ones for a trimmer its not worth it, and a troy bilt is a weedeater trimmer to me.
echo srm 266 trimmer
echo srm 2400 trimmer
redmax ebz 6500 blower
echo bp 250 blower
john deere stick edger
2 crapsman push mowers
20 inch key start lawnboy self propelled
weedeater gas hedgetrimmer

5 years in business
Old 03-10-2010, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
i still find it hard to believe stihl is selling there equipment any where else except the dealers. i've never seen any good lawn equipment in any of the big box stores or even the little guys like ace or true value. i know home depot does carry toro but thats the only quality equipment i've ever seen at a big box store.

i wish you could get commercial equipment at the big box stores.
Why would you wish that? Most people do not like the big box stores. especially for commercial lawn care equipment. They end up putting the mom and pop stores out of business. I wish all the big box stores would suddenly go under and close. then we would go back to having many little shops and independently owned. And again, the label may say Toro, but if it is being sold at a big box store, it has cheaper parts on it. Buy from independent dealers, nobody in this industry should be buying any equipment from Lowes or Home depot, parts and little disposable type stuff..yes, but not trimmers, mowers, trailers, etc.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Anything that is mtd troy bilt / mtd is $hit but I have a garden way/ troy bilt 21 that I am loaning to a relative right now that is a sweet mower the old troybilts are bullet proff
Ferris 32
Toro 21
Redmax BCZ2401s, Redmax HE225f, Redmax EBZ7100 Kawasaki KRB300
1999 Honda Oddsey
6X10 trailer
Old 03-11-2010, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKle View Post
Why would you wish that? Most people do not like the big box stores. especially for commercial lawn care equipment. They end up putting the mom and pop stores out of business. I wish all the big box stores would suddenly go under and close. then we would go back to having many little shops and independently owned. And again, the label may say Toro, but if it is being sold at a big box store, it has cheaper parts on it. Buy from independent dealers, nobody in this industry should be buying any equipment from Lowes or Home depot, parts and little disposable type stuff..yes, but not trimmers, mowers, trailers, etc.
if the big box stores carried the commercial equipment it would be the exact same equipment the dealers carry. no cheaper parts or anything. i realize thats not the case but that would be included in the wish that the big box stores carried the commercial equipment. at least trimmers, blowers, edgers and push mowers.

there aren't to many mom and pop stores in my neck of the woods that are dealers. even the dealers around here are bigger than mom and pop stores.

i like to shop where it's convient and the dealers aren't close enough to me location wise. i live 5 min. away from lowes. the closest dealer to me is 20-30 min. away from me.

i also have connections with lowes where i can get things at a discount. so it'd save me some money as well.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxuryLawnCare View Post
its bothering me now so im heading to lowes soon i know they are there now
So I'm guessing you didn't find any Stihl equipment there?

Old 03-11-2010, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
So I'm guessing you didn't find any Stihl equipment there?
I think he was mistaking the orange Husqvarnas for stihls?
Old 03-11-2010, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Basically stay away from all the "name brand" equipment that is sold in the big box stores. So much of that equipment is made by MTD and MTD has ruined the quality of all those companies. It's all mass produced equipment with low end, plastic parts, cheap thin metal, and crap motors.
2 -Toro Z450 w/ Bagger + Striping Kit
32" Lesco w/ Sulky & Bagger
36" Lesco w/ Sulky
3 - Husqvarna Push Mowers
Lawnboy Push Mower
Husqvarna 125E Combi w/ Hedge Trimmer
2 - Husqvarna 223L Trimmers
3 - Poulan Pro BP400 BP Blowers
Husqvarna 125BT BP Blower
Tanaka TPE-260PF Stick Edger
Cyclone Rake
3 - Stihl Hedge Trimmers