Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-29-2000, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A couple questions for the Chevy owners.<br>I have the chance to buy an 85 one ton with dump bed as part of a lawn business buy out.<br>It is two wheel drive, 350 auto.<br>Would this truck work for plowing?<br>I live in a part of the country that gets a couple 6 inch snows per season and some ice storms also.<br>What is this truck worth? Almost 200k miles, no rust, new tires. Old highway dept truck.<br>Thanks for your input.
Old 07-30-2000, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The truck is worth about 1500-2000K with out the insert. The suspension will handle an 8' plow, and 2wd is ok as a spare or on falt paved surfaces. You will need at least 1 ton ballast in the rear, and if its an auto make sure it has a very large cooler.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org
Old 07-30-2000, 11:25 PM

I could not agree more with Dino. Only thing I'd add is get a set of single wheel chains. If you're dealing with ice you'll want them. And keep your rear brakes adjusted up, other wise yor fronts will be locking and you lose steering control. With 4wd you can't lock the fronts without applying braking to the rears as well, even if it comes by way of the drivetrain