Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2010, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have never used the heal of a bucket for this, just the cutting edge. And its not hard to do if you can run the machine at all. I guess its all in the operator, I don't know.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcatexc View Post

All these years I've been cutting grade with the cutting edge and teeth on excavator buckets and now you tell me!! I only use the bottom or heel of the bucket to smear mudd or level out clumpy dirt.

Like Scag and the rest stated just keep the machine level by throwing out a little dirt under the tracks and cleanup and grade as you go. Or do like another guy in town that does a lot of basement digs and put a helac tilt attachment on pretty slick setup he has.

I like the idea KSSS except it ties up a skidsteer for 20 minutes of work plus the cost of mob of an extra machine.
Its just a skidsteer though, not like its a dozer or something..

How much more would it really cost to load up the skid behind the work truck(for most of us its a 3/4ton+ truck) and roll to the job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 03-11-2010, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Most companies around here the operator hauls the excavator out to the jobsite with dumptruck/trailer to dig basement for a day job.

My main point JR is that the skidsteer could be out doing other jobs rather than be tied up all day to slick basement grade down.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Most companies around here the operator hauls the excavator out to the jobsite with dumptruck/trailer to dig basement for a day job.

My main point JR is that the skidsteer could be out doing other jobs rather than be tied up all day to slick basement grade down.
Good point.. I dont know anyone that digs basements here, or runs anything smaller than a 20ton.. So yeah. I was just kinda talkin through my ass, but it did kinda make sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 03-11-2010, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

All these years I've been cutting grade with the cutting edge and teeth on excavator buckets and now you tell me!! I only use the bottom or heel of the bucket to smear mudd or level out clumpy dirt.

Like Scag and the rest stated just keep the machine level by throwing out a little dirt under the tracks and cleanup and grade as you go. Or do like another guy in town that does a lot of basement digs and put a helac tilt attachment on pretty slick setup he has.

I like the idea KSSS except it ties up a skidsteer for 20 minutes of work plus the cost of mob of an extra machine.

Yea the skid steer is an extra mob but I use it to stack and separate topsoil anyway. All topsoil here is precious so it is placed outside of the work area, easier with a skid steer than to triple swing it with excavator. Also we will usually build access into the lot, lay in pitrun for a drive. So the skid steer is on scene anyway. there are many guys here who put an excavator and a wheel loader on the same foundation. I don't see the sense in that for all but the biggest holes.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
How spendy is that?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
Yea the skid steer is an extra mob but I use it to stack and separate topsoil anyway. All topsoil here is precious so it is placed outside of the work area, easier with a skid steer than to triple swing it with excavator. Also we will usually build access into the lot, lay in pitrun for a drive. So the skid steer is on scene anyway. there are many guys here who put an excavator and a wheel loader on the same foundation. I don't see the sense in that for all but the biggest holes.
Our rocket scientists here mix the black dirt and basement dug material and then the people whine because we have to truck lots of black dirt back in for the lawn.

A lot of the basements that I've seen they put the skid in the hole to level also.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I always get it within a couple tenths using the teeth, then just use the back of the bucket to give it that smooth finish.

Here's a example of how its done.

Starts after 0:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5WBhpDuYE4

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall

Old 03-12-2010, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

chris were u down in fl when u made that clip bro
Old 03-12-2010, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf lawn care View Post
chris were u down in fl when u made that clip bro
Nah that was taken around here.

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall