Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-13-2010, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

discharge chutes missing?

I have bought 3 wb mowers and looked at many used wb and all seem to have the discharge chutes missing? Anyone make their own, if so post pics please?
Old 03-13-2010, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

bought my dixon a couple of years back missing the chute kinda made me mad someone would take it off and just lose it those things are pretty pricey
Old 03-13-2010, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My used scag came without a discharge chute, so I bought one for about $50....

$50 for a piece of plastic and a few bolts.....
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 03-13-2010, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The discharge chute is the opening in the deck to allow clipping debris to fly out from underneath. Short of a full mulching mower where is no need to have a discharge, every mower has a discharge chute.

I think you are meaning the deflector that extends beyond the chute. They are either metal or plastic and keep the flow of material in a more orderly manner. The primary reason for the deflector is to keep debris from flying places you don't want, namely non-grass objects that might get thrown for long distances.

Some mowers work well without the deflector, others make the discharge much better. I have an Exmark Viking, and when the deflector is down, the clippings are usually left in neat rows -- not a good thing. On the other hand, I also have a John Deere 717A, 7 Iron II deck, and when the deflector down, the dispersing of clippings is considerably better than with it in the up position. When up, the deck will tend to leave rows, when down, the clippings are discharged further away from the machine, spreading them more evenly across a wider path.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I take all my deflectors off when I first buy them, but I install an OCDC too, dont need both of them! Some people do not use their deflectors though, or an OCDC, bit risky, but its their mower? If you do not want to buy one from the dealer, take a look at the deflectors Ferris puts on their new WBs, it is a piece of thick black rubber, like the rubber on mud flaps on a semi truck. They bend it to the shape of a deflector, then bolt it on. It is good, cause it will not damage anything if you hit something with it, or damage it either, and it goes right back to its shape! Unlike the metal deflectors! You can find that thick black rubber about anywhere too! Good luck