Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-16-2002, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Member

automatic or manual tranny?

on a f350 desil do i want an automatic or a manual tranny.... lawn and landscape trailor, not super heavy hauling
Old 06-16-2002, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what I have....

2K F-350 PSD,CC,long bed.
I've got the auto. (With a few aftermarket goodies.)
Does a great job pulling the trailer. The extra HP helps keeping up with traffic.
I would have loved to get a "sixer" but I'm happy with the auto.
I wish I had the 3:73 instead of the 4:10 rear.
Old 06-16-2002, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Get the Automatic. Avoid the manual. I bought several F350 Fords for my previous employer. Most had manual transmissions and all of the manuals were troublesome and expensive to repair. The Trans. itself was not the problem, it was the clutch. In every truck, we replaced the clutch on an average of once every 30,000 miles and it costs a fortune. You can almost replace the automatic trans. for what it costs to just replace a clutch. None of these trucks were even used for towing trailers. The ones with the automatic trans. had over 150,000 miles on them and were still going strong when I left there.
Old 06-16-2002, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Auto problems....

When the auto goes "south" there is a shop in the south-east that builds "killer" trannies for the PSD. He advertises at the Ford truck site that I frequent.
Brians Truck Shop.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:29 AM

When the PS clutch goes you got to put in a heavy duty Luk clutch. If you put in factory OEM you will continue to have the same problem. I got 70K or 80K out of mine before the clutch went. I pull heavy (as much as 30,000 lbs gross) some times too.

On the original question. If you do a lot of stop and go during the day (mowing route) then you will want the slip and slide box. I have the 6 spd. During the summer I WISH for an auto. The rest of the year I get along great with the manual.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Member

aftermarket clutch

yeah i talked to this one dude who knew this guy in cali who set him up with an aftermarket clutch kit in his truck... im sure they are pretty common, but i hadnt heard much about them... but like dumping the clutch doesnt hurt the transmission, so there are a lot fewer problems with grinding and stalling, but this kit ran him 4 or 5k, so i think i will be better off with the auto... if i were pulling 30,000 lbs of steel in the mountains mabey the 6 would be for me, but i think i can handle what ive got with the auto.

and a question about dulleys, will mileage change much between a standard 4 wheel or the dulley in the back? im talking a ford f350 disel. i dont need it for the towing im doing right now, but it would be nice for 5th wheel type applications, and just to have the extra width for if i ever did need it...
Old 06-17-2002, 12:59 AM

The guy that spent 4 or 5K on a clutch kit got raped. Unless he bought a racing application. I spent less than $700 on mine. Plus installation.
I would think that dumping the clutch would be hard on any clutch. I do not do that with mine.

Dunno on your mileage. More tires on the road means more friction, but I don't know if it is enough to notice on the mileage.
Old 06-17-2002, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Member

go with the auto. i love thoses guys that want standards you might as well skip the starter and go with a hand crank like they did with the model t. it's too hard to drive with a cup of coffie while shifting.i have three f-350 diesel with auto and love them.i will not use anything else.
Old 06-17-2002, 08:12 AM

Too hard to drive with a cup of coffee? LEARN HOW TO DRIVE.

I have drove a standard thru town, watching the lights, DRINKING MY COFFEE, talking on the cell phone and writing in the note pad. All while shifting the truck. If you don't believe me, ask the two guys that were riding with me. I was pulling my lawn trailer at the time as well.
Old 06-20-2002, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Member

heh multitasker