Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-08-2002, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

auto or standard

I'll take the standard: more power and torque to the ground and in a Ford-International application more power/torque available with the standard. 275/525 vs.250/500 dyno's don't lie and will support this fact. i have a '95 350 with the 5 speed and been loaded heavier than chipped SD's and I walk all over them in the hills,just goes to show who's getting all that grunt to the wheels.
I'd have to quote a member froma different site: cyber beers to all my SHIFTY friends!:blob4:
Old 07-09-2002, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I loved driving the 6 speed...wife had problems depressing the clutch all the way (ya...I know, but she does drive it sometimes), so we would up with an auto
Old 08-04-2002, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I own both, and both are Fords. I have the auto in the F-350 SRW flatbed for pulling my mower trailer and plowing residential driveways.

I get manuals in my dump trucks to handle the heavy loads. I had a '94 F-350 dump with an auto and the tranny went to lunch at 32,000 miles. Cost me $2200 and 2 weeks down time. My dumps do street plowing so there's not a lot of backing and shifting on their route, I feel the manual handles heavy loads better.

The other thing to consider is servicability. I can replace the clutch on my truck in a day's time, but you are at the mercy of a tranny shop if the auto fails. As I mentioned, my truck was down 2 weeks for the tranny repair and I missed 3 snow storms and the related revenue during this time.
Old 08-04-2002, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Manual trannys are the only way togo I never did like juicers and never will for use in a truck heavier than a 1/2 ton I had a auto in a old 70s Ford 350 and lost the tranny and had to stop the load with the brakes alone. With a manual you can use the gears to down shift and you know it will hold you back and if you have to double clutch it into 1st gear.
Old 08-12-2002, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One point to consider is will the truck be driven by you only or is it liable to be driven by "anyone & everyone"?

This is based solely on what I have seen at my work, in a different business (welding/fabricating) but if the truck is going to see a lot of different drivers the automatic is, IMO, your best bet. Other than shifting between "D" and "R" before coming to a complete stop, there's not t-o-o much a "flunky" can do to hurt an automatic, provided the maintenance is up to par.

The same "flunky" can burn up a clutch and/or tear the driveshaft(s) out on a manual transmission fairly quickly, especially when you're towing or carrying a full load.

'75 GMC "Blood, Sweat & Gear$"
Old 08-18-2002, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

if a ford diesel, get a stick shift.........that is unless ford has redone their tranny's and are no longer having probs with it

replace clutch every 30,000? good gracious who is driving that thing? i had over 90,000 miles on factory clutch and that was while pulling a 30 foot flatbed almost everyday.....maybe 75% of time i had the trailer hooked up
Old 08-18-2002, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
In every truck, we replaced the clutch on an average of once every 30,000 miles and it costs a fortune.
I missed this the first time, m&m's right Mowingman, your boss needs to do some driver training.

Quote:
You can almost replace the automatic trans. for what it costs to just replace a clutch.
If you're paying $2200 for a clutch, you're getting hosed! Parts are around $400, another $50 to turn the flywheel, plus a day's labor, around here that would total to $810. If you have any machanical skills, you can do the work yourself, it takes about 6 hours if all goes well.
Old 08-18-2002, 09:32 PM

I replaced mine with a heavy duty Luk clutch kit, includes a new fly wheel for some thing like $650 in parts. Supposedly WAY better than factory.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Member

brickman
i had my flywheel replaced when i did my clutch also........the factory clutches in the fords were not right..........they even admitted that the idea they tried was not as good as they thought it wouyld be.......instead of having springs in the clutch to absorb pressure, they had a dual flywheel that had something like a rubber "cushion " in between them......kinda hard to explain but Dorain told me about it when he fixed mine......all is well now....

as for the other guy, if he can find a auto tranny replacement for the price of a clutch,, lemme know because i have friends who would be very grateful to him......lol
Old 08-19-2002, 10:09 AM

Dual mass fly wheel. Not one of Fords better ideas.

But then it is hard to be the best ALL the time.