Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-14-2010, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_S_S View Post
I saw an add for a local guy on kijiji (same idea as craigs list) that i will try to look up. But he was charging $35 an hour for skidsteer services, which included any attachment he had (auger,breaker , power rake ) and free delivery within 100kms (60 miles). I sent a very nice email to him...
Hopefully your email had a virus attached.

Anyone working that cheap should be beat to death.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

you should see what the stump grinding market has turned into. 4-6 exchange students in a rusty, single cab pickup carrying axes, picks, shovels, and tecate...haul the stump down the road, roll it off into a ditch. I always wondered why there were so many stumps along the roads! I have friends with Mexican ancestry that HATE the illegals for that very type of work ethic. $25-$30 to remove a stump is ridiculous.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 03-14-2010, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I flip flop on the whole fly-by-night/low-ball guys, I generally care less but sometimes they really annoy me. Lets be honest, a large part of the market doesn't really care and uses these guys. Those customers are not fun to deal with and for the most part they deserve what they get. I also get a kick out of guys that I would consider a low-tier/low-ball contractor complaining about other scrappers when you are in the supply yards or equipment dealers. If nothing else they provide entertainment and contrast how good the contractors that care are. I do try to stay out of the mud and work for people that care and want good quality work but it can be frustrating.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
I flip flop on the whole fly-by-night/low-ball guys, I generally care less but sometimes they really annoy me. Lets be honest, a large part of the market doesn't really care and uses these guys. Those customers are not fun to deal with and for the most part they deserve what they get. I also get a kick out of guys that I would consider a low-tier/low-ball contractor complaining about other scrappers when you are in the supply yards or equipment dealers. If nothing else they provide entertainment and contrast how good the contractors that care are. I do try to stay out of the mud and work for people that care and want good quality work but it can be frustrating.
I like your attitude more and more.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 03-14-2010, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
I like your attitude more and more.
Some day I hope the money part will catch up but at least I know I'm giving the clients my best.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, last summer I was working on the same job as a guy who was working himself, a Morooka tracked dumper, a mini ex and a 5 ton dumptruck......all for 45 dollars an hour. The homeowner told me what he was paying and suggested that I was going to need to give him a break.($85.00 an hour plus a move for my SK650). I said no deal. lol. I stayed and did the job at my full rate that I never drop for anyone. If that poor sap had stuck to his guns even a little bit, he would have doubled or tripled his money, and still got the work.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's amazing the ads you can find on craigslist/kijiji. I think each one of them is trying to undercut the next craigslist ad, and rates of $45/hr are not uncommon. I remember one ad saying since he was new and had no insurance or taxes to pay he could pass the savings on to his customers. . .Some guys just don't get it.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoh View Post
It's amazing the ads you can find on craigslist/kijiji. I think each one of them is trying to undercut the next craigslist ad, and rates of $45/hr are not uncommon. I remember one ad saying since he was new and had no insurance or taxes to pay he could pass the savings on to his customers. . .Some guys just don't get it.
Lmao! And i bet he got a lot of phone calls too...

In all seriousness if you do a good job and stand behind your work, you will get the best type of advertising-word of mouth.

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

The problem with these guys that with cut rates also cut corners when it comes to safety.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak406 View Post
I am going to play devils advocate here. I agree with the poster who said atleast they are out trying to work instead of sitting at home and collecting welfare (god only knows that would be easier).. Now i do not landscape or do construction any more, when i left construction last year times were bad the company i was working for who has been around for a long time was bearly making ends meet. (so i know how hard it is for you guys) Here is were im going to play devils advocate, in this economy and this time (until things get better) you have to feed your family. Just about every job out there is cut throat, right now. So what im saying is if you get offered a job for 250 dollars, that you would normally do for 500, i would rather take the 50 bucks you make after expenses at the end of the day than sit around and make nothing. Its sad but true making 50 dollars at the end of the day may not put steak on the table but its something, and imo something is better than nothing. Another thing gravel rat, and im not knocking you. You just bought another truck with montly payments which is fine, however you cant knock the guys who under cut you with a pos truck..... You need to make x amount every month just to pay off your truck payment. Were as they dont have to because they have no payment, and if they do, it may be very little compared to yours. The simple fact of the matter is some people can live on x amount of money were as others need xxx amount of money to make it... My family as i am still young are not rich nor are we poor, we are probably middle, middle class. We do not take vacations, we do not buy new cars every 5 years, we do not own a boat, vacation house, nor do we own camp or camper. That is just throwing away money. With that being said all we need is enough to pay off our morgtage and bills every month and that is it. So what im getting at is since we dont own boats, vacation houses, camps, campers, or brand new cars, we dont have to bring in as much as a family who does buy brand new cars every year, or has a camper or camp. Does those material items make other familys better than ours, in our day and age people seem to think owning a corvette is a status symbol of money, when in reality those people may be strapped to the wall in debt.... Business these days (once again until things get better, which i hope they do soon) will require survival of the fitest (sp) who can have the lowest over head to bid the lowest to get jobs.... That of course is my opinion i know some of you may not agree with me but time will tell...... Btw i may have merged away from the topic a bit but its good discussion none the less....
Amen to that. I fully agree with you. Sounds like you are a conservative guy like me and my family.