Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-11-2007, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Log Homes

1st post-glad to find this website.

Have a job coming up, a nice Log Home, most of the lighting will be in the back around the deck, hot tub , gazebo,etc.
But they also want some accent lighting on the front of the house and front walk. The house is a large 2 story Log home with Log Diameters of 18 to 22 inches,( dark stained wood ) large sloping roof with 3 dormers. The house is also surrounded by tall trees as well.
So heres the catch, the front has to be done with 6-8 fixtures max, it's a rush job for a up coming party and home owner wants 2 of those to be path lights. Moonlighting can be done nicely from both sides but thats about 100 plus feet across.The roof also over hangs the front so up lighting is cut short at 10ft above grade.

I will be going out one night this week with a pile of different fixtures and bulbs and do the old trail and error technique...BUT..

Anybody have any pointers for dealing with large diameter dark stained logs,
These logs will also cast alot of shadows, not mention the dark stain.

Good news is home owners knows what I'm faced with and will be happy regardless, and there is plans for more fixtures in the spring. so just need to make it look nice and balanced.

Thanks
Old 09-11-2007, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I suggest using wash or flood lights instead of bullets for these logs. This will give a more even coverage. Some down lights and an oversized transformer for the future upgrades.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 09-11-2007, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Because of the dark color, the effect of the light will be absorbed. You will need to use higher wattage lamps to get good effects. The minimum lamp you will use for wall washing will probably be 35w. It would be nice if you could post a pic, but it sounds like you are going to have your back against a wall if you are limited to only 6 fixtures for a home that large. Good luck.
, GA Lic#LVG105244
www.JohnsonLightingInc.com
Old 09-11-2007, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We had the pleasure of installing a system on a log home a couple of years ago. This was by far our toughest design to come up with, not only because of being a log home, but also because this particular home has been in many magazines and won numerous awards. Needless to say everything had to be perfect.

What ended up looking the best on the home itself were flood lights with 35 watt wfl's. We actually moved the fixtures back about a foot further than we normally would to get rid of some of the shadows, all the while being careful not to shine the light into the home itself. We didn't want to get rid of the shadows all together because that's what brought out the character of the home. Anyway, I'd recommend from experience going with 35w well lights on the facade of the home. There will probably be some shadows from the logs, but unless the homeowner specifies differently, in my opinion it's what kept the character of the home intact.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ext,
I was with you until you said "well lights". That's when I left you all by yourself.
, GA Lic#LVG105244
Old 09-11-2007, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
ext,
I was with you until you said "well lights". That's when I left you all by yourself.
If not for wellights what do you install in grass?
Old 09-11-2007, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

In his application, I'm assuming that there are mulch/planting beds against the home. If not, I'm also assuming that his definition of "well light" is the typical sewer pipe with the par36 lamp. If I have to install a fixture in grass, I will use an in-ground, recessed enclosed MR-16 fixture. To me, par lamps simply suck. But I'm nobody, and this is just my opinion so please take no offense. If you like them, then you go right ahead and use a bunch of them.
, GA Lic#LVG105244
Old 09-11-2007, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

how bout mr-16 wellights? the non enclosed variety
Old 09-11-2007, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If it's the type I'm thinking of, this will not do you much good in a "grass" setting as they will be an obstacle for the lawn guys just like the other types of well lights would be. This type of light causes more aggravation and service than it does any good. If your going to use an MR16, I would suggest either the recessed inground, or regular bullet and create your own mulch bed around it.
, GA Lic#LVG105244
Old 09-11-2007, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
If it's the type I'm thinking of, this will not do you much good in a "grass" setting as they will be an obstacle for the lawn guys just like the other types of well lights would be. This type of light causes more aggravation and service than it does any good. If your going to use an MR16, I would suggest either the recessed inground, or regular bullet and create your own mulch bed around it.
\

how can I use a bullett in the middle of the lawn and build a mulch bed around it. It will stick out like a sore thumb and I don't think my clients will appreciate re-landscaping their homes without notice. I'm talking bout those ones like Nightscaping has with the grates over them. masterliter I think it's called. yeah that's the ticket.