Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-13-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARK LAWN View Post
Hey duellyvette, terrastar gonna be available with a Cummins by the end of the year.
Posted via Mobile Device
That changes everything! A crew cab 4x4 Cummins/Allison TerraStar would be SWEET!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2013, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Hey duellyvette, terrastar gonna be available with a Cummins by the end of the year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Source please. I see where the Durastar will be available with the Cummins 6.7, and where all MaxxForce engines will get Cummins SPF system, but no mention of any Cummins for the Terrastar.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I work for an international dealer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2013, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I work for an international dealer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds like insider info not yet available to the public(?). Does this mean you have to kill us now?

Seriously, it would be nice to read more about this when/if you can release it, such as which model & specs.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think that working for an International dealer gets you better information. I know that the salesmen that I have talked to don't know as much as I do about their trucks
Old 11-24-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I researched it and it is even said the terrastar will NOT be getting a Cummins due to packaging issues... at least not a isb, will it be a isv? maybe???
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2013, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Member

With the success that Navistar has had since the announcement of the return of Cummins to pretty much all there line i would think the Terrastar will probably follow. I read in HDT mag that Durastar sales increased by 22% fairly shortly after revealing it could be ordered with a Cummins. Not choosing the SCR [DEF] emissions type has been a nitemare for Navistar. Their new head comes from Pete so maybe we will see some improvements that have been long needed.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meador56 View Post
With the success that Navistar has had since the announcement of the return of Cummins to pretty much all there line i would think the Terrastar will probably follow. I read in HDT mag that Durastar sales increased by 22% fairly shortly after revealing it could be ordered with a Cummins. Not choosing the SCR [DEF] emissions type has been a nitemare for Navistar. Their new head comes from Pete so maybe we will see some improvements that have been long needed.
The nightmare was caused by the feds attempting to force technology that just wasn't up to the task. Had they not stuck their noses where it arguably didn't belong, there never would have been an issue. Then, they stacked the deck heavily in favor of DEF. The truly sad part is that the feds forced all the eggs into cummins' basket, thereby effectively creating a monopoly where we, the consumers, lose.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I beg to disagree partly. It seems when new regs are sought by feds they consult with manufacturers first to see what is doable and the makers have a part in the decisions. We have operated diesels for more than 50 years and there is a lot of profit in doubling the price of a truck engine and blaming the gov. The SCR/DEF technology has been used in Europe for some time and does well. No one has ever been happy in our part of the country with DPF . SCR allows for a less invasive exhaust the DEF is just urea and can be bought here for as little as $2.79 a gallon. Most trucks use very little in comparison to the extra fuel and down time DPF systems have.