Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-17-2002, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of sprinklers do you all use?

I'm looking at putting a sprinkler in my own lawn. I have been looking at Rain Bird and Hunter products which do you recommend and which models?
Old 06-17-2002, 05:28 PM

I generally install Hunter PGP's, or Rainbird 5000's, ALWAYS Hunter HPV Valves, and Rainbird ESP Controllers, And Rainbird 1800 Spray with VAN series nozzles, even though some people don't like them on here.
Old 06-17-2002, 05:31 PM

Check with your local contractors to see what they are putting in too.
Old 06-17-2002, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hunetr PGP rotors, Hunter PGV valves, Hunter Pro -C timer, I like the Rainbird ESP timer the best but it can be spendy, RB 1804 or Hunter Pro series spray heads, RB nozzles
Old 06-17-2002, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

If it were my yard.....

Hunter I-20 rotary, Irritrol 205 valves, Hunter Pro-C timer or ICC timer, I'm not real picky about the 4" pop-up, toro, hit rainbird or the good hunter pop-up will do...for nozzles rainbird van's only where neccesary...fixed patern where you can use them....definately not a hunter nozzle. Same goes for the 6" and 12" in the garden beds...whether you use rainbird / hunter style, or toro style popups and nozzles really depends on what part of the coutnry you're in....

-J
Old 06-18-2002, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hunter I-20 rotors, Hunter Pro or preferably Institutional sprays, Hunter HPV or RB 100dv valves, Hunter Pro-C or ICC controllers with remote, miniclik rain switch, RB spray nozzles

Anything Toro makes is a step backwards. Their spray nozzles alwasy get more grass growing in them in the off season. RB VAN's are also more dirt tempermental. We use standard halfs, fulls and strips and vans for 1/4, 3/4 and other parts of circles. We tend to uase more 1/2 and full nozzzles than any thing else.

The irritrol 205 valve has been around forever. They give excellent service. Haven't seen one lately but I quit on them because if dissasembled if a guy wasn't careful you could get dirt in the screw holes or mis align the bonnet and diaphram easily and put it together messed up. They have/had 8 screws rather than 4 or 6 like most other makes.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I was once fixing a cracked valve manifold and had taken all the valves out of the pit. they were the 205's predecesor, the green richdell / hardie 204...they were date stamped "Aug 1981" and were working perfectly when I put the manifold back together....I learned my lesson one time about mis-aligning the bonent, I had it "clocked" one screw hole and had tightened down the bonnet.....it ruined that little piece that passes through the diapragm going up to the solenoid...had to replace the whole valve..I was always careful after that.....they stand up well to high pressure, and they don't leak the way the 2400's do... I would use them at my house....

-J
Old 06-21-2002, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Money to Burn.

Quote:
Originally posted by DanaMac
Hunetr PGP rotors, Hunter PGV valves, Hunter Pro -C timer, I like the Rainbird ESP timer the best but it can be spendy, RB 1804 or Hunter Pro series spray heads, RB nozzles
Except for the expense, I don't think you can beat the Rainbird TDR-2/R-50 rotors and the T-Bird Series. The 1800 pop-ups are good also. As you all know, most sprinkler system problems result from poor installment and cheap heads. Hunter makes excellent rotors but I would never use them because they are way over priced and they under perform compared to the Rainbirds.
Old 06-21-2002, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

James

Obviously you have never worked with the older problem R-50's and T-Birds and spent countless hours working for free to replace them under warranty. RainBird didn't reimburse those of us that suffered those losses and didn't even really want to really talk about too much. After writing to my regional rep, then national rep and finally to the president after getting no response from the 2 prior reps I cut my RB purchases. It took weeks to get a response after I wrote the president and then he didn';t really respond. He had the national rep respond that I had writen to prior and not recieved a response from.

Despite having good products, RB is not the type of company I want to do a lot of business with.

On the other hand, in 2001 we experienced a very unusual electrical anomaly with a Hunter controller gone bad. I reported it to Hunter explaining the problem in detail, the circumstances under which it occured and my guess about the problem. Within days they acknowledged that they had duplicated the problem in the lab and had taken steps to correct the problem. My kind of company.
Old 06-21-2002, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hunter all the way, they stand behind their product 100%