Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-19-2010, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I went with diesel with 68k miles mainly because of resale value....I am going to put 30k miles on her for the next 3-4 years and then still have one helluva down payment when I go to trade this diesel in.

I was in the $20-25k price range and after comparing gas to diesel, resale value, and mileage the diesel seemed like a better rig. Im was soooo tired of getting 10mpg towing and about 12 unloaded that I just couldnt go gas again. This is my only truck though and once I have the option of having my personal truck not being used for work, it will be cheap gassers all day long.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoetschOutdoor View Post
I went with diesel with 68k miles mainly because of resale value....I am going to put 30k miles on her for the next 3-4 years and then still have one helluva down payment when I go to trade this diesel in.

I was in the $20-25k price range and after comparing gas to diesel, resale value, and mileage the diesel seemed like a better rig. Im was soooo tired of getting 10mpg towing and about 12 unloaded that I just couldnt go gas again. This is my only truck though and once I have the option of having my personal truck not being used for work, it will be cheap gassers all day long.
What brand of truck did you get? My 03 cummins only gets 10-11 towing and 12 not towing in stop and go..... highway it were it shines at almost 20MPG. I know most of the newer powerstrokes dont do any better.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Under 15K, I'd find a low mileage gas unit. If you can find a newer, lower mileage diesel, especially pre 2007 emissions I'd pick it up if it looks to be even in decent shape.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If i had the cash right now i would buy this thing in a heartbeat. http://cleveland.craigslist.org/ctd/1637187827.html
Old 03-19-2010, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller08 View Post
If i had the cash right now i would buy this thing in a heartbeat. http://cleveland.craigslist.org/ctd/1637187827.html
At that price, I would be surprised if the 6.0 diesel in that truck wasn't a lemon.

Cummins isn't spelled with a g!!!!!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleedge View Post
At that price, I would be surprised if the 6.0 diesel in that truck wasn't a lemon.
Supposedly it was a theft recovery.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller08 View Post
Supposedly it was a theft recovery.
I'd stay away. The dents might have been caused by a getaway! Who knows what/if anything was put on the engine such as a tuner, and then removed by the shop afterward. Tuners not properly calibrated can do severe damage to a diesel on the best of days. In any case, check out the CarFax first, and then take a THOROUGH test drive.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan528 View Post
What brand of truck did you get? My 03 cummins only gets 10-11 towing and 12 not towing in stop and go..... highway it were it shines at almost 20MPG. I know most of the newer powerstrokes dont do any better.
I got an 06' cummins 3/4 ton longbed and my around town mileage has been 16 and the little I had it on the hwy it jumped up to almost 19. I went from a dam zr2 s-10 to a 3/4 ton diesel and my mileage has nearly doubled! Going to hook up to my small enclosed trailer now but not gonna fully know how it is around town until we get in the full swing of things. Right now Im only pulling a 14' enclosed trailer with 2 smaller mowers in there so Im hoping my mileage wont drop with that little weight.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wish mine got 16..... been this way since it was new. Sure does have power though......
Old 03-20-2010, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

It seems like the diesel haters are in abundance in this thread, and there is nothing wrong with that, to each his own.
I went from a Ford 5.4 gas to a GMC 6.6 duramax turbo diesel, and even though I have yet to get into any major repairs (175,000 miles) I can honestly say I doubt that I will ever go back to a gasoline truck. I was lucky if I was getting 8 mpg towing my equipment with the Ford gasser, now I'm getting 15 mpg towing with the diesel. If you do get a diesel, get it tuned and your gas mileage will be better as well. Also, the added power with the diesel is great. This truck will pull just about anything I throw at it and could still do more.
From what you stated you will be doing with it, it does seem a little iffy to try and justify getting a diesel, but I have to say, I doubt you would be disappointed if you did buy one. Good Luck in your search.