Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-19-2010, 01:10 PM
DoetschOutdoor DoetschOutdoor is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: S. IL
Posts: 1,826
I went with diesel with 68k miles mainly because of resale value....I am going to put 30k miles on her for the next 3-4 years and then still have one helluva down payment when I go to trade this diesel in.

I was in the $20-25k price range and after comparing gas to diesel, resale value, and mileage the diesel seemed like a better rig. Im was soooo tired of getting 10mpg towing and about 12 unloaded that I just couldnt go gas again. This is my only truck though and once I have the option of having my personal truck not being used for work, it will be cheap gassers all day long.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Evan528 Evan528 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montgomery County, PA.
Posts: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoetschOutdoor View Post
I went with diesel with 68k miles mainly because of resale value....I am going to put 30k miles on her for the next 3-4 years and then still have one helluva down payment when I go to trade this diesel in.

I was in the $20-25k price range and after comparing gas to diesel, resale value, and mileage the diesel seemed like a better rig. Im was soooo tired of getting 10mpg towing and about 12 unloaded that I just couldnt go gas again. This is my only truck though and once I have the option of having my personal truck not being used for work, it will be cheap gassers all day long.
What brand of truck did you get? My 03 cummins only gets 10-11 towing and 12 not towing in stop and go..... highway it were it shines at almost 20MPG. I know most of the newer powerstrokes dont do any better.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-19-2010, 08:16 PM
360ci 360ci is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kitchener, ON
Posts: 986
Under 15K, I'd find a low mileage gas unit. If you can find a newer, lower mileage diesel, especially pre 2007 emissions I'd pick it up if it looks to be even in decent shape.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-19-2010, 09:38 PM
JMiller08 JMiller08 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brunswick, Oh
Posts: 343
If i had the cash right now i would buy this thing in a heartbeat. http://cleveland.craigslist.org/ctd/1637187827.html
__________________
Dreams To Reality Lawn Care & Landscaping
Est. 2009
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-19-2010, 11:04 PM
doubleedge's Avatar
doubleedge doubleedge is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ND
Posts: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller08 View Post
If i had the cash right now i would buy this thing in a heartbeat. http://cleveland.craigslist.org/ctd/1637187827.html
At that price, I would be surprised if the 6.0 diesel in that truck wasn't a lemon.
__________________


Cummins isn't spelled with a g!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-19-2010, 11:14 PM
JMiller08 JMiller08 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brunswick, Oh
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleedge View Post
At that price, I would be surprised if the 6.0 diesel in that truck wasn't a lemon.
Supposedly it was a theft recovery.
__________________
Dreams To Reality Lawn Care & Landscaping
Est. 2009
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-20-2010, 09:51 AM
360ci 360ci is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kitchener, ON
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller08 View Post
Supposedly it was a theft recovery.
I'd stay away. The dents might have been caused by a getaway! Who knows what/if anything was put on the engine such as a tuner, and then removed by the shop afterward. Tuners not properly calibrated can do severe damage to a diesel on the best of days. In any case, check out the CarFax first, and then take a THOROUGH test drive.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-20-2010, 12:32 PM
DoetschOutdoor DoetschOutdoor is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: S. IL
Posts: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan528 View Post
What brand of truck did you get? My 03 cummins only gets 10-11 towing and 12 not towing in stop and go..... highway it were it shines at almost 20MPG. I know most of the newer powerstrokes dont do any better.
I got an 06' cummins 3/4 ton longbed and my around town mileage has been 16 and the little I had it on the hwy it jumped up to almost 19. I went from a dam zr2 s-10 to a 3/4 ton diesel and my mileage has nearly doubled! Going to hook up to my small enclosed trailer now but not gonna fully know how it is around town until we get in the full swing of things. Right now Im only pulling a 14' enclosed trailer with 2 smaller mowers in there so Im hoping my mileage wont drop with that little weight.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Evan528 Evan528 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montgomery County, PA.
Posts: 2,144
Wish mine got 16..... been this way since it was new. Sure does have power though......
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-20-2010, 03:18 PM
CornerstoneCS CornerstoneCS is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 13
It seems like the diesel haters are in abundance in this thread, and there is nothing wrong with that, to each his own.
I went from a Ford 5.4 gas to a GMC 6.6 duramax turbo diesel, and even though I have yet to get into any major repairs (175,000 miles) I can honestly say I doubt that I will ever go back to a gasoline truck. I was lucky if I was getting 8 mpg towing my equipment with the Ford gasser, now I'm getting 15 mpg towing with the diesel. If you do get a diesel, get it tuned and your gas mileage will be better as well. Also, the added power with the diesel is great. This truck will pull just about anything I throw at it and could still do more.
From what you stated you will be doing with it, it does seem a little iffy to try and justify getting a diesel, but I have to say, I doubt you would be disappointed if you did buy one. Good Luck in your search.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 PM.

Page generated in 0.09915 seconds with 7 queries