Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-20-2000, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Member

my chevy 3500hd gets its 5th tranny installed this week this makes 5 in one year. i always thoght chevy was a good truck but this one is Junk. does anyone else have this problem?<br>
Old 07-21-2000, 07:45 PM

Gee, I'd like to help but I've spent too much time and money learning about stuff to give it away for free. Kinda sounds like some of your posts in the lawncare forum, doesn't it it?
Old 07-21-2000, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

What do you DO to this truck? Time for a bigger cooler? What tranny is it?
Old 07-21-2000, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

OK Steve<br>First things first,STOP TAKING IT TO MALLAN cHEVY FOR REPAIR WORK.<br>They dont know their a** from a hole anywhere else. Took them 8 months to fix a seatbelt the right way in the wifes mini van.<br>Go to MJ Sullivan and ask for Andy Osga in the service Dept. He is an ace and will fix it right. I cant believe that the 4L80E has that many problems. Funny how most people complain about the 6.5 but he has a tranny issue.<br>They are best auto out there right now. It sounds like something else must be bad.<br>Alan take it easy on Steve, he is a good guy who always is willing to help me out.<br>BTW Steve I talked to Art last night, and he was hit in the head with a rock, and took 8 stitches while eating lunch. the rock came from the two women who do the Lebanon Green. No deflector shute. Makes you think eh.<br>Maybe it wasnt an accident.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org
Old 07-22-2000, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Alan, very funny. <p>Dino, thanks for the advice, i will bring it to M.J. next.<br>Art got hit in the head, hope he is alright . i have not seen much of art this year. i have seen some of his work and it looks good.<p>
Old 07-23-2000, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with PlowKing on the 4L80-E automatic. My company truck at my full time job is a 95 C-3500 Chevy with a 350 V8 and a 14 ft box on the back. It's got the 4L80-E in it, and it's been flawless. We use it as a delivery truck at a newspaper and haul lots of weight in it, sometimes it's been as much as 3,500 lbs. The payload rating on the truck is about 3,000. Being a delivery truck, it stops and starts constantly. I make sure the tranny fluid is changed at least every 30k, even though the manual calls for a fluid and filter change at 50k. <br>The truck only has 40K on it, but it's been 40 thousand hard miles. I don't run it hard, but I don't pamper it either.<br>I've got a good friend who has a 99 Suburban 3/4 ton 454 V8 with almost 50K on it, and he pulls a 9900lb. Jayco camper with it. He's had no problems to date either, and he runs this truck hard in his daily driving. He also is a vol. fire fighter, and when he gets a call he puts the pedal to the metal. <p>Tim
Old 07-23-2000, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah,I can see 1 maybe 2 trannies being bad, but 5 leads me to believe that the CPU may be bad. Perhaps sending wrong info to the tranny and haveing act as if something is wrong with the tranny.<br>I also wonder what exactly is going bad in these trannies. Is it the same thing everytime or a new diagnoses?<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org
Old 07-23-2000, 05:41 PM

I'd be way more inclined to think it is computer rather than tranny. With electronic control the puter might be sending so much trash to the tranny that it can't work properly. Other than that, there has to be something other than tranny bad. Like Dino said,, one, maybe two,, but not a whold flock of 'em.