Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2010, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Just applied Atrazine to Centipede, what's next?

I have been browsing this site for a few days and finally decided to join. Lots of great info, but I'm still needing a little more...

I learned about Atrazine and decided to it apply it to my centipede yesterday afternoon since it has weeds and some other types of grass types mixed in it. I used Hi-Yield and hopefully it wasn't too late in the year to spray.

What do yall suggest I do next and at what time of the month/season? Should I spray anything else once my centipede starts to green up? Also, what kind of fertilizer do yall recommend?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 03-26-2010, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Member

It's been over a week since I sprayed the Atrazine and I have yet to see a difference in my lawn.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What rate (How Much)did you apply? Where do you live? Florida has tough restrictions on the amount that can be applied in total over a year. Hi-Yield is the weak 4%. What weeds are you targeting? As for fertilize, do not use anything with a chlorie based potassium (read label). The best is a 14-0-44 potassium nitrate but is must be sprayed. If you can't get the right fertilize, just use the old stinky Milorginite. It is a natural product that will help the soil and add some iron. If you can't apply any liquid and only find granular products; you're going to find nothing out there. You could mix your own with ammonium sulfate for your nitrogen source and potassium sulfate. Other than Milorginite, not many granular products.
You should have seen some wilthing of weeds by now, If not apply a second round, but stronger. 4L (Professional Stuff) is 40% and generally applied at .75oz/1000sq.ft. How much does the label recommend? Do the math.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Where are you located? What are the temps & long range forecast? What is the ground temperature?

Hi-Yield is essentially useless once diluted; try looking at Scott brand of St. Augustine weed & feed, I believe it contains 1.23% or so to put on the ground; actually for the home owner Lesco with peloxalum (or something like that since my supply is under 25 50lb bags 0f 10-10-10; I'm sure that some-one will correct me )is more effective especially on broad leaf.

Re. Temps, make sure long range weather calls for temps above 70... & check your ground temp. Putting the stuff down with low temps will waste it and just wash it below the root zone, it doesn't work well on cold shocked or dormant plants. Timing is everything.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm located in Wilson, NC.

The Hi-Yeild Atrazine mixed 4.3oz to 1 gal of water sprayed 6 times over a 3,000 sq ft section of yard finally kicked in a day or two after posting my previous reply. It killed most of the weeds, but I still have a few left in the yard. Would it hurt to spray the yard again with "Image with Atrazine"? I also still have another grass, maybe bahia, mixed in with my centipede. What is a good way to get rid of it? There is right much so it would be time consuming to hand pull each section up.

Anyways, the centipede is greening up nicely. What do you all recommend doing next?

By the way...We just had a week with highs in the 80-90° range, and now we have a forecast with highs in the 70-75° range.

Last edited by crazywhitebo; 04-09-2010 at 12:15 PM.