Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
View Poll Results: fixed or floating deck hydro wb?
fixed 5 14.29%
floating 30 85.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-21-2010, 11:51 PM
yardguy28 yardguy28 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Yah, if necessary. Most of mine are cut at 3 inches but some higher or lower. And if it's long and there's a little hay on top I may raise up a little and give it a second cut. I've got some lawns that are fesque, some bluegrass and one thats mostly zoysia. Cut height is adjusted to what I consider ideal on each lawn for each cut. I thought that was how to do it, not just cut them all the same because you're too lazy to adjust it or your mower is too difficult to adjust.
everyone around here pretty much has the same type of grass. fesque and bluegrass. ideal cutting height for that type of grass is 3, 3.5 inches.

it's not that i'm do lazy or it's to difficult to change the height. i cut at the correct height. if it's a little longer than normal i just throw my catcher on the mower. forget double cutting.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Darryl G Darryl G is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 7,957
Do what works for you, but taking issue with me adjusting my cutting height as necessary for each lawn is kinda weird dude.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-22-2010, 12:16 AM
Glenn Lawn Care's Avatar
Glenn Lawn Care Glenn Lawn Care is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN
Posts: 2,531
floating decks are much better. you can change the height with in seconds. they really work nice when going over uneven areas compared to a fixed deck.
__________________
'02 Ford F-250 5.4l8' unimount
Scag
Lesco
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk


Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-23-2010, 01:41 PM
yardguy28 yardguy28 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Do what works for you, but taking issue with me adjusting my cutting height as necessary for each lawn is kinda weird dude.
wasn't trying to take issue. like you said do what works for you. i'm just putting it out on the forum the way i do it.

after all you did say i was lazy for not changing height on my mowers and i'm just defending why i don't.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Darryl G Darryl G is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 7,957
Nooooooo...what I said was "I thought that was how to do it, not just cut them all the same because you're too lazy to adjust it or your mower is too difficult to adjust." Sorry but it hadn't occurred to me that you just don't know you were supposed to adjust your cutting height as necessary.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-23-2010, 05:36 PM
yardguy28 yardguy28 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Nooooooo...what I said was "I thought that was how to do it, not just cut them all the same because you're too lazy to adjust it or your mower is too difficult to adjust." Sorry but it hadn't occurred to me that you just don't know you were supposed to adjust your cutting height as necessary.
oh no it occurres to me.

like i said i have one lady who always wants it 2.5 or 2 inches. and when i come across a lawn that hasn't been touched in say maybe 3 or 4 weeks i'll raise it up and actually make a double cut out of it. but if it's a weekly or even bi weekly they all get cut at 3 inches so far.

my clients don't really specify what height they want it cut at and i never ask. i just cut it at what its suppose to be for the type of grass we have here.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-23-2010, 06:24 PM
Darryl G Darryl G is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 7,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
oh no it occurres to me.

like i said i have one lady who always wants it 2.5 or 2 inches. and when i come across a lawn that hasn't been touched in say maybe 3 or 4 weeks i'll raise it up and actually make a double cut out of it. but if it's a weekly or even bi weekly they all get cut at 3 inches so far.

my clients don't really specify what height they want it cut at and i never ask. i just cut it at what its suppose to be for the type of grass we have here.
You contradict yourself...when I mentioned that I adjust the deck for long grass and to double cut you said you don't double cut, you just bag...and I quote "if it's a little longer than normal i just throw my catcher on the mower. forget double cutting. " Do you even mow or are you just making this stuff up as you go?

I'm done with this thread...I got better things to do than shoot at moving targets....first you say you don't adjust height, then you say you do, then you say you don't double cut, then you say you do...wth. I bet if I say I just bag everything, you'll say you never bag.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-23-2010, 08:15 PM
yardguy28 yardguy28 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
You contradict yourself...when I mentioned that I adjust the deck for long grass and to double cut you said you don't double cut, you just bag...and I quote "if it's a little longer than normal i just throw my catcher on the mower. forget double cutting. " Do you even mow or are you just making this stuff up as you go?

I'm done with this thread...I got better things to do than shoot at moving targets....first you say you don't adjust height, then you say you do, then you say you don't double cut, then you say you do...wth. I bet if I say I just bag everything, you'll say you never bag.
i'm not really concerned with what you think but for the record

if i'm mowing your lawn every week and one week i show up and it's a little more growth than a week because of some rain or maybe my bi weeklys have a little more than 2 weeks of growth on there's. i throw a catcher on the mower going over everything once, never raising the height from the 3" mark.

if some calls and there mower broke and the lawn hasn't been cut for a month or more i will raise the deck up all the way to knock it down to a more managable height then make a second pass to get it down to that 3" mark.

on a regular basis no i don't double cut or adjust the height. all but one client gets cut at the 3" mark. out of 40 clients none of them will get double cuts. if someone class this season that hasn't cut there grass in 3 weeks or longer then i'll be doing a double cut.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Darryl G Darryl G is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 7,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
oh no it occurres to me.

like i said i have one lady who always wants it 2.5 or 2 inches. and when i come across a lawn that hasn't been touched in say maybe 3 or 4 weeks i'll raise it up and actually make a double cut out of it. but if it's a weekly or even bi weekly they all get cut at 3 inches so far.

my clients don't really specify what height they want it cut at and i never ask. i just cut it at what its suppose to be for the type of grass we have here.
Rofl, your two paragraphs here contradict themselves....you say you have a lady that wants it cut at 2.5 or 2 inches and then go on to say your clients don't specify and you don't ask.

The problem with BSing is that you can't remember what you said. When you tell the truth you can....

Now may I remind you that this post is about fixed or floating decks, not the tall tales you tell just so you can disagree with whatever anyone else says....I vote floating deck!!!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-23-2010, 11:50 PM
alex94 alex94 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cottage Grove
Posts: 201
i would go for a floating deck before fixed. let us know what you do and post some pics of it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:23 PM.

Page generated in 0.11789 seconds with 8 queries