Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-19-2002, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

EXMARK transmission - hard shift

I just bought an older Exmark 48" metro. It has an old peerless tranny on it that shifts very hard. It feels real dry. The seller said the fluid level was fine. Is this normal for these older peerless'. It doesn't grind or anything, it's just hard to shift it. Anybody have any input on this.
Thanks
Old 06-19-2002, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

some of those peerless trannies are filled with a special heavy grease. I would install the correct grease and run it till it dies.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Look on the case in the general area where the shifter goes into the tranny. You should see a hex head allen screw recessed in the case. Simply back the screw out until the shifting feels good to you and the tranny stills stays in gear. This is just the shift detent ball adjustment and nothing terrible will happen even if you take the screw all of the way out. Just watch out for the spring if you do.

Old 06-21-2002, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Does the transmission shift fine if the engine is off and it is sitting on level ground? If it shifts good with the engine off, but is hard to shift with the engine running your belt adjustments are off and the belt is trying to spin the inside of the transmission all of the time causing hard shifting effect.
Old 06-21-2002, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Member

JMAN,
I found that the set screw, as mentioned, was tightened all the way. After using the mower for a while yesterday, I found out why(or at least I think I did). The tranny keeps slipping out of gear. If I wiggled the shifter, it would go back in gear but only for a short time. I popped the top off of the box and it looks like the fork is worn. I don't know if I should look into replacing that piece or buying a new tranny. I'd like to find a rebuild, but I'm not having any luck.
Bill
Old 06-21-2002, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

You can replace the fork, but also replace the shift keys right away. I don't know of anybody that sells a rebuilt trans, it might not hurt to buy a new one and fix the old one for a spare.