Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2010, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Menards selling EC Grow fert

Saw an ad on TV tonight. Menards is now selling "EC Grow" fertilizer with pre for $6.99 a bag (after 3 dollar mail in rebate, limit 4 bags). Each bag covers 5000 s/f so I figure it's a 20 pound bag?
Don't know the analysis cuz I don't want to bug 'em or drive up to Menards.

EC Grow (Eau Claire, Wisconson) is a huge supplier for our favorite companies like Agrium, Zimco, and JDL. EC Grow has been in business for over 20 years, and they produce high quality fertilizers.

Anybody else see this TV ad? Do you think it will take away from the Scotts Company? Is Scotts nolonger "better"? (as seen on tv) Has anybody seen exactly what the $6.99 bag contains?

BTW we love Menards and we truly appreciate the quality of EC Grow fertilizers. rscvp, thanks
Old 03-19-2010, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Agrium is one of the largest fertilizer manufacturing and mining companies on the planet. They are listed on the NYSE and I own 300 shares. I doubt they buy fertilizers from this company.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

EC Grow and Menards will do fine locally/regionally but they won't threaten Scotts in the big picture. For starters Menards is only in 11 states in the upper midwest. The thing they do have going for them is branding their own fertilizer, and having the store staff actually push their "house" brand over Scotts. It's my opinion that Lesco and Home Depot could have taken serious bite out of Scotts with a similar strategy... having the old Lesco blend and bag a "Home Depot" brand of fert. Of course HD sells so much Scotts that they would have been too afraid to piss them off by offering a serious challenge, but that's a whole 'nother discussion.

The $6.99 Menards stuff is likely the 26-0-3 with Dimension IIRC... a little heavy on the N and light on SRN, 20% I believe.

EC Grow does put out a high quality product, equal to anything Lesco/JDL/TCS or Andersons puts out, and they are a stand up group to work with as well.

And yes, Seedpro, on a regional level they absolutely supply Agrium outlets. You're right in the scope of Agrium the manufacturing and mining company, but there are also hundreds of Agrium distribution outlets throughout the country that may or may not have access to their own mined/manufactured/blended materials. In the upper midwest, MN and Iowa for sure, Agrium distributors sell EC Grow blended material. In many of the products EC Grow may have bought some of the raw material from the "big" Agrium then sold the blended product back to "little" Agrium.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

"EC Grow and Menards will do fine locally/regionally but they won't threaten Scotts in the big picture. For starters Menards is only in 11 states in the upper midwest. "

They are the third largest Home improvement retailer in the U.S. He most likely is part owner of EC Grow as it's his home town and owns or partially owns some of his suppliers. All Midwest Manufacturing stuff is his (trusses, pole barn steel, doors, etc). Mastercraft doors also. Most of the store brand handtools they are buying overseas and putting their brand on it.

They make a couple bucks and he is the sole private owner.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mr. Menard does own EC Grow. He is a smart, smart man ! He does a lot of things, and a lot of things well.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

EC Grow

They have very good clean quality fertilizer
Old 03-19-2010, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Most of the granular material I use is ec grow I have been very happy with it thus far. quality has been just as good as lesco or helena products
Old 03-19-2010, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedPro View Post
Agrium is one of the largest fertilizer manufacturing and mining companies on the planet. They are listed on the NYSE and I own 300 shares. I doubt they buy fertilizers from this company.
Well, actually they do. EC Gro is a blender that just mixes up whatever you want. If Agrium doesn't have a blending plant close that will just buy from whoever does. Otherwise shiping cost will eat them up. JDL is finding that out right now.

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Very true on Agrium. My Agrium fert is blended at TCS (The old Lesco plant), as is the fert I buy at JDL. As was previously stated-Agrium has mines & plants all over, but does not always make sense to ship everywhere when they can use another blender closer to a local outlet.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedPro View Post
Then you have stock in a company you know nothing about or dont buy from. Agrium has ec grow bag their signature fert.
2004 Perma Green Ultra
2 Spyker 288 Supers
6 Shurflo electric backpacks
2 Husqvarna 356 low noise blowers
Ryan Mataway Overseeder
Plugr PL410H