Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 03-20-2010, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Super Z light kit

I may order a new Super Z this coming week and was considering their light kit as an option. Is there anyone reading this who has the new Hustler LED light kit on their's? Can you drop me an email with your evaluation? Have you ever snagged it on low hanging bushes? Here is a link to a YouTube video of the product: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azeEZdOm7z0
Thanks.
Les.
Old4rd@aol.com
Old 03-22-2010, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This kit has been our for a couple years now, I have never heard of any issues with snagging.

Pj
Old 03-22-2010, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have the light kit on my Super Z. I think it's Highly over priced, but it does do a good job when it's completely dark outside. Would I buy another light kit if I had a second mower? Yes.
'09 Hustler Super Z 60" 31 hp Kawasaki, Echo SRM-210 trimmer, Redmax HBZ 2601 blower, '98 Massey Ferguson 231 utility tractor, 5' Bush Hog 285 rotary cutter, 5.5' King Kutter box blade, 6.5' United disc harrow, United middle buster, Dearborn single row cultivator, single row HD row hippers, Bark Buster pto log splitter, log skidding "tongs", 6' Fred Cain landscape rake, LMC boom pole, drawbar, '09 Honda Foreman 500 4x4 FPE, '04 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS
Old 03-22-2010, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post
I have the light kit on my Super Z. I think it's Highly over priced, but it does do a good job when it's completely dark outside. Would I buy another light kit if I had a second mower? Yes.
Thanks for your reply Thunderhead. I priced out a '10 Super Z 66" today and had the light option included. I was also a bit concerned about snagging it on low hanging bushes & branches, ever have that issue? Are they substantially mounted so that they should take minor hits?
Old 03-22-2010, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would of given you my light kit... I threw it away last week. I got almost every option on my super z and by far the light kit was the biggest waste. The lenses oxidized and it became useless. I figured it would be good for fall clean ups when it starts to get dark early... I was wrong.

Best mower you can ask for otherwise

CJ's Lawn Service LLC
Christopher Jodoin Owner
www.cjslawn.com
ICPI CERTIFIED PAVER INSTALLER
Lawncare-Landscaping-Snow Removal
Est.2002 Licensed and Insured
Old 03-24-2010, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=Mimowerman;3482660]I would of given you my light kit... I threw it away last week. I got almost every option on my super z and by far the light kit was the biggest waste. The lenses oxidized and it became useless. I figured it would be good for fall clean ups when it starts to get dark early... I was wrong.

Best mower you can ask for otherwise[/QUOTE

I wonder if waxing the lense on an annual basis would help prevent that (oxidizing) you refer to?

(and thanks to all who replied)
Old 03-26-2010, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Light kit

I ordered lights for my unit. The wire harness and brackets are great.

The Moon puts out more light than these the LED things do.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Keep an eye on your lights!!

Today, I mowed with my Super Z for the second time this year. I have probably have just under 22 hours on it now. The lens fell off of one of my lights! It landed on top of the deck and wasn't hurt a bit. The Only thing holding it on is silicone so be careful and watch out for ya'lls!! Mine didn't have near enough silicone on it to keep it in place. I think these lights are cheaper made than I thought. Now I know for certain that they're way over-priced.
'09 Hustler Super Z 60" 31 hp Kawasaki, Echo SRM-210 trimmer, Redmax HBZ 2601 blower, '98 Massey Ferguson 231 utility tractor, 5' Bush Hog 285 rotary cutter, 5.5' King Kutter box blade, 6.5' United disc harrow, United middle buster, Dearborn single row cultivator, single row HD row hippers, Bark Buster pto log splitter, log skidding "tongs", 6' Fred Cain landscape rake, LMC boom pole, drawbar, '09 Honda Foreman 500 4x4 FPE, '04 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS
Old 03-30-2010, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post
Today, I mowed with my Super Z for the second time this year. I have probably have just under 22 hours on it now. The lens fell off of one of my lights! It landed on top of the deck and wasn't hurt a bit. The Only thing holding it on is silicone so be careful and watch out for ya'lls!! Mine didn't have near enough silicone on it to keep it in place. I think these lights are cheaper made than I thought. Now I know for certain that they're way over-priced.

These reports on the light kit are not what I was hoping to hear. Most reviewers seem to love their Hustlers but the light kit seems to be lacking in performance and durability. I placed my order this week & included the light kit. I'll be sure to watch it for loose lenses & maybe even run a fine bead of silicone caulk around the seam as a (hopefully) preventative measure. Thanks again for all the replies. (PS): it's a '10 Super Z 66" SD w/ 30 hp Kohler, hyd. deck lift, flex forks, deluxe seat, hitch, and (ugh!) light kit.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Options

I took a measurement of the bracket and it appears the light size is pretty standard. I'm going to look for a "regular" light to replace the LED lights.