Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-14-2010, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dang that sure looks like a lot of growth for using a slow release product. Is there really any height difference of the grass between regular fert and the one ap product you used? They sure claim less clippings and growth but you picts look scary to me. I'm contemplating using some on 400k of grass I have but am a bit leary to just spread the stuff and hope it doesn't eat my lunch on the mowing end.
2 Walkers
2 Toro Z Masters
1 Scag Tiger Cub
1 Lastec 28hp 61"
Trucks, trailers, and lots of trimmers, blowers
Old 04-15-2010, 06:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
yes it is a real pic fron one app, but it is not that bad, maybe 3in. it was i think 8 days between cuttings. i cut it again today and it was not bad atg all, but then again we are starting a dry spell right now and hopefully it will end soon. but all lawns are slowing down right now for a minute

yes i used a zspray to apply it. basically i did the advice from tim with one app and spread it twice using half rate each time and spreading in perpendicular patterns to make sure no spots will be missed. my zspray is set to spread 4lbs per K when i have it set at 5.5-5.7 mph, spreading 15ft on gate setting 5.25. spread twice and you get your 8lbs per K app rate i was going for. hope this will help you
Any thoughts on setting for full rate? 6? We are more comfortable running around in circles. I think we might cause more problems by chris/crossing. I may try it on one one the smaller lawn we SOLD this to..
Old 04-15-2010, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart may View Post
Dang that sure looks like a lot of growth for using a slow release product. Is there really any height difference of the grass between regular fert and the one ap product you used? They sure claim less clippings and growth but you picts look scary to me. I'm contemplating using some on 400k of grass I have but am a bit leary to just spread the stuff and hope it doesn't eat my lunch on the mowing end.
Bart,

The One AP as with all the SiFi approved products, are blended with some quick release N. One AP is 90%Duration CR a polymer coated urea. 8% of the nitrogen is derived from ammonium sulfate, 2% from urea. It may not seem like much but when applied at the recommended spread rate 1/3LB of quick release nitrogen is applied per 1000 sq ft. Additionally some of the Duration is Type 45 so depending on the weather some of it will begin releasing. The goal of One AP is to perform everyday during the growing season. Since the desire is to have dark green grass in the spring itís necessary to design a product that would give results in a cool spring.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

it is not any more tall using the one app than any other lawns we are mowing right now after going thru the rounds again this week. they are however very green. i think that shot of amonium really did the trick to get things rolling out of dormancy. i dont think my second pic attached so i am going to repost it here and try
Old 04-15-2010, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

ok, never mind, i guess it did and somehow my computer did not download it to view!! oops
Old 04-15-2010, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So would you say that in 3-4 weeks when the amm. sulfate wears off you could expect to see the growth slow down but still maintain a nice green lawn?
2 Walkers
2 Toro Z Masters
1 Scag Tiger Cub
1 Lastec 28hp 61"
Old 04-16-2010, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart may View Post
So would you say that in 3-4 weeks when the amm. sulfate wears off you could expect to see the growth slow down but still maintain a nice green lawn?
Yes, the goal is to design One AP to mimic a conventional program without the peaks and valleys. However, depending on application timing and spring weather the initial kick can vary a bit. Earlier the application the better so the release will ramp up as the ground temperatures increase. After the ammonium sulfate release is done then the Duration takes over and the release is very consistent. The spring kick out will be equal to a conventional program. For the spring, if you suddenly have warm wet weather then you may see a typical surge as you would a convention fertilizer. Comparing to a conventional as Grassman is doing is the best way to evaluate. This year, many markets are having an early quick warm up so this may be a little more present than the last two years where we had cooler springs.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tim summed up what i think perfectly. we did have a rapid warm up and the first out the gate greening came first with the amonium. but it is by far not growing any more than my conventional program is now. just to clarify as many questions as possible. i will take more pics after a wek or two past my rd 2 has been in effect and watered in.

to be honest, i am only worried about the cavalcade being as effective as my normal barricade app than the fert not performing like it should. i have always been weary of generic AI. i am sure it will be fine though
Old 04-16-2010, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for you help.
2 Walkers
2 Toro Z Masters
1 Scag Tiger Cub
1 Lastec 28hp 61"
Old 04-16-2010, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

FYI for 8# per k of SIFI the settings for the Z-Spray are 6.5 on the impeller speed and 6.5 on the hopper opening. For lesco push it should be "I" setting to get 8lbs..I will take pictures as well....I applied this on my home lawn 2 weeks ago and have not seen any major growth. But it is early for upstate NY...