Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2010, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
you just are a hard baller arent you. what about the fact that my product cost is actually higher as i chose to do something different on the lawn and nix the fert and still charge the same price, dont you think they are getting their money worth?

these same lawns are ridden with nutsedge and third or fourth round they dont need any more fert by a long shot so i blanket spray for nutsedge which costs more than fert and touch up weeds. seriously, do you have any ability to see things in other ways but your own? it is in no way like i am ripping off anyone, and yet somehow you think so. in fact, at least most of these cutomers i have told them what i have done in conversation and they thanked me, so how would that be?
It's not about your product cost or how many weeds they have.

I'm just saying that if they think they are getting five rounds of fert and you only do four, or two, or one...they are not getting what they signed up for.

Im just going off what you said earlier that you have done less applications than they signed on for and that you dont think you need to tell them when they are gonna get one treatment instead of four or five.

At TGCL they called that Ghosting.

It has nothing to do with the performance of this stuff you want to use. It has everything to do with what the client ordered and pays for.

Honestly I can't believe you typed that you change the application numbers called for in the contract without telling the client and that you ghost applications and that you don't think you have to tell them when they are gonna get one instead of five apps of fert.

That's just crazy talk.

Do what you want GM but don't blame me......they were your words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
no shenanigans here, but i dont feel i have to go all out and say listenup everytbody, this year you are only getting one fertilizer, any questions?

i tell folks what they want to know when they ask, most dont ask and i have changed my program more than once with little to no qualms from anyone. and some accounts i have eliminated a fert app(believe me it grows very well) and they never said a thing,

Last edited by SeedPro; 04-05-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Member

I just read this whole thread and I can see that Seedpro is a traditionalist and makes some valid points, but everyone seems to be missing the environmentally friendly angle to sell your smaller customers.

The fact that the coating on the prill is both elastic and porous means it takes in water and expels it and the coating isn't knocked off by the spreader. There is much less runoff and more absorption by the plant.

I see this as the future for many types of accounts, with residential DIY being the last market the will go after. I have a copy of the Powerpoint presentation that they use, and it's got great info with DAILY pictures of properties for the whole season. We are testing on about 30 acres this season... we shall see.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i see where you are coming from seedpro, but i never skip or ghost an app, i just change what i do on the property to meet the needs of each individually. doesnt that make sense? some dont always need the extra fert, so i devote the app to other things. i dont feel wrong or deceitful in any way. i am sorry you think i am some crook when in fact i am viewed much the oppposite here.

we will have to disagree i think as i thought you would be able to see my points i i gave mroe details but i guess not.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Grace Sierra tried this in the late '80's with ONCE...then Scotts with Osmocote in the '90s and Purcell with polyon. They all flopped. Its is hard to get a release from thick plastic coated products like these when one cannot control temperature or rainfall. These products only work in container nurseries and golf applications during dry warm weather when you can water to rinse the fert into the soil as necessary. If you get a wet spell in the summer, better get ready to mow hay and make another one app or if it is a dry summer it stays inside the plastic;ready to release for a competitor, because the grass won't be green for you.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i will be anxious to see. i irrigate my lawn and shop, but the other one i did is not watered. all are very similar blends and mowed the same too. i will see if the wet effects it too much, and hopefully i dont have to see what it does when too dry if you know what i mean!

i do know the one ap treated lawns are the greenest and most lush right now as most lawns are on the second cut of the year or getting ready for it. a few are not mowed yet but should be as they are a cut away from out of dormancy. i am going to cut the shop again in a couple of days and then take some pics, in fact i cut my lawn yesterday again so i have the camera and i can get some pics here in the morning if i can remember.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosepuller View Post
Grace Sierra tried this in the late '80's with ONCE...then Scotts with Osmocote in the '90s and Purcell with polyon. They all flopped. Its is hard to get a release from thick plastic coated products like these when one cannot control temperature or rainfall. These products only work in container nurseries and golf applications during dry warm weather when you can water to rinse the fert into the soil as necessary. If you get a wet spell in the summer, better get ready to mow hay and make another one app or if it is a dry summer it stays inside the plastic;ready to release for a competitor, because the grass won't be green for you.
Hosepuller, youíre correct that it has been tried before but this is not a new product of the same old stuff. Similar but not the same. I know a lot of old Once users that are glad that there is a similar product that is available. They were happy with the results of Once and never understood why it disappeared. I personally think the end of Once had more to do with economics not results. SiFi certification did just begin however One AP, a SiFi certified blend is going into its sixth year in Chicago and the upper Midwest with a history of success. Itís never been a question of efficacy just value and marketing. To release properly, the finished product does need to be blended properly with the different release types of Duration CR for the growing zone. This is the reason for the SiFi certification.
You are correct that different types of weather from year to year does influence the release as it would influence any other fertility product but Iíve found that it influences Duration little compared to conventional programs. Using One AP would give the most predictable release. Shifts in the amounts of moisture do not overly affect the release. Experienced users do see a shutdown of the product entering into a drought. So much so that sometimes the turf may have an anemic look before entering a dormancy period. This happens because there is still enough deep soil moisture to keep the turf blades green but not enough to maintain the release of the Duration. This usually only lasts 2-3 days. Once in summer dormancy, the (cool season) turf turns brown just like it would with any fertility program. When the rain returns the turf bounces back and the Duration will begin releasing. Of course if the lawn is irrigated you would not notice any difference in the summer months. Markets, like Salt Lake City, where irrigation is necessary just to have turf we donít see this happen. Only in markets that allow the turf to enter summer dormancy.

I donít have any distributors in Atlanta but there is other SiFi certified blends available in your area. If you havenít done so yet go to the SiFi website and click the Georgia map for suppliers in your area. You should try 8-10 bags to evaluate yourself. I know Jay Fountain from Howards and he would do a good job of helping you evaluate this year.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

alright, more pics

these are examples of how much each side is being cut off per mow. given the one ap side has always grown a bit taller per week anyways, it is much thicker than the regular program side as of now, but they are getting close.

first pic is the regular fert, the second is the one ap
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2010, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That looks way deep! Is the bottom picture really a one app. lawn? How many days growth is that between cuttings?
2 Walkers
2 Toro Z Masters
1 Scag Tiger Cub
1 Lastec 28hp 61"
Trucks, trailers, and lots of trimmers, blowers
Old 04-14-2010, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

grassman, do you use a z-spray to spread SIFI? I have a 110k lawn to do with it and was wondering what the ballpark calibration might be? spread width and hopper opening. Thanks
Old 04-14-2010, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yes it is a real pic fron one app, but it is not that bad, maybe 3in. it was i think 8 days between cuttings. i cut it again today and it was not bad atg all, but then again we are starting a dry spell right now and hopefully it will end soon. but all lawns are slowing down right now for a minute

yes i used a zspray to apply it. basically i did the advice from tim with one app and spread it twice using half rate each time and spreading in perpendicular patterns to make sure no spots will be missed. my zspray is set to spread 4lbs per K when i have it set at 5.5-5.7 mph, spreading 15ft on gate setting 5.25. spread twice and you get your 8lbs per K app rate i was going for. hope this will help you