Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-23-2010, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well , what did you find out ? Did they find the problem with the truck ?
Old 03-24-2010, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTR_Diesel View Post
Completley, totally agreed!

Part of why this economy is such a mess now is that so many folks worship the "new" factor. And live their entire lives in debt trying to keep up.

Now - if that's not your situation, that's good, but you still have a troublesome truck to deal with. Sorry about this, the 6.0's issues are well documented, especially from the MY '03 - '04. In your case if it's costing you down time I would consider something else - but be brand-blind as you do. Good luck.
Someone has to buy it new so you can buy it 10 years later, if no one spend there money this economy would be way worse then it is now so what your saying doesn't really work. you would be out of work cause everyone would to to cheap to pay someone else to cut there lawn!...
Old 03-24-2010, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldny want one of our trucks when are done with it. We buy new , it has a warranty and you know what that truck will cost for 3 - 5 yrs. It all depends on your needs. Down time is the worst thing to me. Hate it when something is in the shop . Yet another way to look at , the truck only gets you to and from the job, its your equipment that makes you money.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

With the 6.0 you really have to be carefull on who has worked on it. Many Ford dealers didn't know what they were doing with the the 6.0. Some trucks had bad problems from dealers trying to fix something and it snow balls into something else.

I own two 6.0s a 2003 which is supposed to be the "Bad" year I have replaced the turbo and the ICP sensor and a couple EGR valves. The truck was serviced by the previous owner that took it to a dealer that could work on 6.0s. The dealer in my area is pretty good with 6.0 trucks.

My second 6.0 it is a 2006 the dealer I bought the truck from has a Ford mechanic that knows the 6.0 inside and out and said the truck I have is good.

Fuel quality is important with the 6.0 I buy from one place 90% of the time they did have problems with their fuel until they started getting multiple complaints and the fuel is back to normal again. The place sells hundreds of gallons of diesel in a day.

I maintain my 6.0 trucks regulary and running synthetic oil and motorcraft filters through out. I let my trucks warm up before I drive them I don't excessivly idle my trucks soon as I feel the turbo has cooled down I shut the truck off. I drive my trucks fairly hard to keep the turbo working.

The fuel filter is drained regulary and I collect what ever has been drained out and see what comes out. I keep track if I'am getting water in my fuel I never go till the water in fuel light comes on.

My trucks are always run with no less than half a tank of fuel less chance for condensation and I never run it so there is a possibilty to suck up the crap in the tank. It is very rare to never I get below the half tank mark.

The last thing I'am the only driver nobody else drives my trucks not even my brother or my dad.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto52 View Post
Someone has to buy it new so you can buy it 10 years later, if no one spend there money this economy would be way worse then it is now so what your saying doesn't really work. you would be out of work cause everyone would to to cheap to pay someone else to cut there lawn!...

Not my problem.

With that sort of advice, more and more folks would be taking 60% of thier combined income and placing that into thier housing. How long would that last?

Everyone has differances in their values. You don't have to agree with me, you also don't have to attack someone you disagree with either. Thanks.
200? Husquvarnia straight shaft trim
Old 03-26-2010, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTR_Diesel View Post
Not my problem.

With that sort of advice, more and more folks would be taking 60% of thier combined income and placing that into thier housing. How long would that last?

Everyone has differances in their values. You don't have to agree with me, you also don't have to attack someone you disagree with either. Thanks.

Holy take it easy man I didn't know I was attacking you...
Old 03-27-2010, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie James View Post
I bought a F550 last year and it seems like every 3 months another problem comes up. Its great when its running but taking it to ford is killing me. Last week I put a Fuel injection control module in, plus the tow $1000.00 then just yesturday the truck ran rough and died on me, had to tow to ford and that was $200.00 plus they have not called me with the problem yet. The season is new and Im going broke,,,,,

I think I might let her go and get a GMC 2500 hd what do you think.....

Any answers,,,,,,,,

Jamie
Eco Green Landscaping

Ive had my 04 f-550 since it was new i have 120XXX on it and havent had any problems with it "knock on wood" except my EGR cooler went out two months ago,ford wanted $2500 to fix it but i found a commercial truck dealership that did it for $1300 this truck will do anything and everthing i want it to do! ive had it over weighted once before and put it in tow/haul and it did marvolous! good luck with your's bro! i must have got one of the few only decent trucks.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Member

6 litre

I got my truck back.......... Maybe I should not be knocking any trucks due to the fact they all have problems at some point.

If I was to buy another truck I would get a new or newer GMC pickup, 2500 HD diesel or gas...............

I have talked to many landscapers,,,,,,,,,, and they run chev and gmcs

Old 03-27-2010, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

EGR valve.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check my thread about F550 problems.http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=256566. Also check out the thousands of complaints with the national traffic safety association.

Tags
i i