Register free!

Old 03-21-2010, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Centipede Lawn Care

I have a centipede lawn that has various weeds including Henbit, dandelions, and clover. I would like to know what herbacides I need to spray them with. I live in Middle Georgia. Do I need to wait until the grass comes out of dormancy or can I spray now? Please help.
Thanks,
Glenn
Old 03-22-2010, 05:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do not do anything other than pulling some of the weeds just yet. When a turf is coming out of dormancy, it is very venerable to almost all chemical efforts. You could have used a little Simazine to kill off winter weeds a couple of months ago. However wait till full greenup after you've sprayed a non-chlorine based potassium (Potassium Nitrate) and grass is growing; then, and only then use Image. Image when grass is dormant will kill it quick. Or, you may have to read and apply Mansion (Manor/Lesco's Metsulfuron) for the clover. Pull up a label; I do not have my notebook here.
There's no such thing as a granular application for weeds so spraying with diluted chem will be required. How much turf are you needing to treat? Do you have irrigation? What is your soil base (Sandy, clay or loam)?
It is very important to keep the weeds from going to seed--even a high mowing will help with this; so use a bagger and stay off centipede as much as possible. Even during mowing season; mow it to 3".
Old 03-22-2010, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Centipede lawn care

Thanks so much for your response.The soil in my lawn is sandy loam.I have about 5000 sq ft with irrigation.Around what date will the centipede be considered out of dormancy? Thanks again,Glenn
Old 03-23-2010, 06:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Glenn:
I have a brother that has the same name. That is an illusive question--you'll have to watch it. Generally after the 2nd mowing is out of dormancy. This depends on the surface conditions and more ground temp than anything. Are you spraying or dropping granulars for your fertilize? Anything with potassium derived from Muriate of Potash will slowly poision you grass and it will begin to die. Love that sandy loam. I have to battle almost pure sand. Do you mulch mow and throw the clipping out the side or bag them. I'm trying to watch the mowing practices on centipede. I've noticed that sod farms never mow and their grass never get too high nor looks weak. Mowing may be a culprit to centipede???? I have a small 500 sq ft. spot next to the road that I am not going to mow and only fertilize and water for a month-6 weeks to check my theory. My few customers may think it strange but I never know without trying. Hurry up and get 25 posts or more so that you can PM.
Roy
Old 03-23-2010, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
Do not do anything other than pulling some of the weeds just yet. When a turf is coming out of dormancy, it is very venerable to almost all chemical efforts. You could have used a little Simazine to kill off winter weeds a couple of months ago. However wait till full greenup after you've sprayed a non-chlorine based potassium (Potassium Nitrate) and grass is growing; then, and only then use Image. Image when grass is dormant will kill it quick. Or, you may have to read and apply Mansion (Manor/Lesco's Metsulfuron) for the clover. Pull up a label; I do not have my notebook here.
There's no such thing as a granular application for weeds so spraying with diluted chem will be required. How much turf are you needing to treat? Do you have irrigation? What is your soil base (Sandy, clay or loam)?
It is very important to keep the weeds from going to seed--even a high mowing will help with this; so use a bagger and stay off centipede as much as possible. Even during mowing season; mow it to 3".

I have never had trouble spot treating bermuda with Image just before it comes out of dormancy? I am not doubting you, I'm just saying I have never had trouble. I generally use less chemical then what label suggests so maybe that's the reason.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 03-23-2010, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Member

RALmaroad have you used primo maxx on centipede. I tried to get my brother to not cut his centipede last year but his kids did not like all the dew. Wet feet.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
I have never had trouble spot treating bermuda with Image just before it comes out of dormancy? I am not doubting you, I'm just saying I have never had trouble. I generally use less chemical then what label suggests so maybe that's the reason.
Cory: This is centipede. Bermuda--different ballgame.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
Cory: This is centipede. Bermuda--different ballgame.
I misunderstood I knew we were discussing centipede,but I thought you were talking about all grass types coming out of dormancy...I understand that centipede can be very sensitive to herbicides.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2010, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Centipede lawn care

I am spreading granular 15-0-15. What is the best kind to use? Any tips on growing centepede would be appreciative.

Thanks,Glenn
Old 03-23-2010, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I spoke to Dr. Tim Murphy today. He's retired now but most of the literature, turf trial reports and power point presentations put out by the University of GA Extension Service during recent years (related to turfcare) has his name on it. He said that his office typically gets more inquiries about problems with centipede, than all the other grass types combined. Thought y'all might find that interesting.