Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-23-2010, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You sure go through Z's like water man.
I have seen a Toro Z, Great Dane Z, and Scag Z so far.
Not happy with any of them??
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 03-23-2010, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseman View Post
heck, you cant beat that kind of a deal thats for sure and that truck will last for a while too, cant beat a ford imo haha, great stuff once again!
Yeah, I found it on craigslist!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993lx172 View Post
Good deal man looks like you have your head in the right place, a trait lacking in many of your/our generation. I started off at age 12 with much of what I have in my sig and eight years later, not much has changed lol. Are you going to keep at it through college (assuming that you are going to) or are you going to hang it up after you graduate? My advice to you would be to keep at it and when/if you go to college thin down your roster to your highest paying yards. I had around 12 last year and let me tell ya, once I started classes it was tough but doable.

I hope that your business continues to grow and expand and I wish you the best of luck, my little service is in its twilight years, anywhere between 2 and 4 years (depending if I get an apartment and start living up by school full time) and then I'm out. If you are still doing lawn-care by then I'll have some good leads for you.
I plan on going to Belmont. I'm graduating early as well. I will most likely keep my business through college, as it is extremely well paying. No other job is like it. I've always though about how I'm going to be able to handle the business and college, but I'm sure it's possible. Even if I have to keep all of my well paying accounts, which I planned on doing anyway. But yeah man, cool stuff. Definitely keep me in mind. I see you live in Franklin. Maybe we can toss each other some business. I look forward to talking to you again! Thanks!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
You sure go through Z's like water man.
I have seen a Toro Z, Great Dane Z, and Scag Z so far.
Not happy with any of them??
Well, I've actually only gone through 2 ZTR's. The Toro had major cutting issues. The Great Dane was a loaner that the dealer gave me while the Toro was in the shop. The Scag is what I currently have. Paid cash for it and I don't plan on getting rid of it ANYTIME soon. Outstanding mower!!!

Thanks!!!
-1999 Scag SWZ Hydro Walk-Behind 17hp Kawasaki 52" Deck
-T230 Shindaiwa Trimmer w/ Speed Feed
-223L Husqvarna Trimmer
-Stihl KM110R w/ Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
-EBZ7100 RedMax Blower
-145BT Husqvarna Blower
Old 03-23-2010, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Very nice set-up man, lovin' the Scags!! Sweet deal on that F150 too
Old 03-23-2010, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No problem man, what are you planning on going for?

As for keeping the business running while in school, one thing that saved my hide (and my GPA) was putting my yards on rotation, half one week and half the next, and setting up my class schedule so that I can get home at a decent time to get a few yards done on Friday afternoon so that I have a time buffer on Saturday that I can do homework, take my girlfriend out, do maintenance, spend time with my family, allow for breakdowns, and so on. Now since Belmont is a bit closer than Western Kentucky University (where I go) you don't have to deal with an hour and a half trip like I do, you will have a bit more time to get jobs done. Plus since you are running equipment with more production capacity than I do so that helps you to be able to handle more yards in a day thus a larger roster. I would still trim your list down to your best payers, you can never forget SCHOOL COMES FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Period. I had a talk with my people at the start of last season and let them know I'll still be there but school will always be my first priority.

As for tossing business your way, no problem. I'm at five now (my highest payers from past seasons) and if I get anymore calls I will only take on another one to three yards and any more than that I'll refer you to them and depending on what they say I'll pm you the information, you have my word on that. I would try to hit up the Mckay's Mill sub-division to get your name in the area.

If you get any in Franklin, keep it for yourself. I'm about at max capacity for my schedule and I'm not going to be in it that much longer, get your name out.

'99 Dodge Ram 2500 reg cab long bed
'91 JD Lx172 38"/ bagger
'11 JD X300 48"
22'' '66 Western Auto Wizard
21"push mower/w bagger
Stihl KM 90 w/trimmer,tiller, and hedge trimmer
Husquvarna BT130
MTD 3.5 HP edger
AgraFab 17 cb ft trailer
Precise-Fit Areator
Random dethacher
Precise-Fit lawn sweeper

"Never Give Up! Never Surrender!"
Old 03-23-2010, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Looks great keep it up
Ferris 32
Toro 21
Redmax BCZ2401s, Redmax HE225f, Redmax EBZ7100 Kawasaki KRB300
1999 Honda Oddsey
6X10 trailer
Old 03-24-2010, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Dillon, I have a toro similar to the one you had and am experiencing some cut issues with it. It is the turbo force 48" and clogs bad when cutting through weed mixtures and moist grass. Also no matter what the deck is filled with crap by the time I;m done my first lawn. Also the cut grass is pushed over and makes dead spots over time killing parts of the yard.

Is that what you've experienced with your toro and does your scag do a lot better?? Because I ready to put an end to the madness and buy a scag finally.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnboyTim View Post
Very nice set-up man, lovin' the Scags!! Sweet deal on that F150 too
Thanks man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993lx172 View Post
No problem man, what are you planning on going for?

As for keeping the business running while in school, one thing that saved my hide (and my GPA) was putting my yards on rotation, half one week and half the next, and setting up my class schedule so that I can get home at a decent time to get a few yards done on Friday afternoon so that I have a time buffer on Saturday that I can do homework, take my girlfriend out, do maintenance, spend time with my family, allow for breakdowns, and so on. Now since Belmont is a bit closer than Western Kentucky University (where I go) you don't have to deal with an hour and a half trip like I do, you will have a bit more time to get jobs done. Plus since you are running equipment with more production capacity than I do so that helps you to be able to handle more yards in a day thus a larger roster. I would still trim your list down to your best payers, you can never forget SCHOOL COMES FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Period. I had a talk with my people at the start of last season and let them know I'll still be there but school will always be my first priority.

As for tossing business your way, no problem. I'm at five now (my highest payers from past seasons) and if I get anymore calls I will only take on another one to three yards and any more than that I'll refer you to them and depending on what they say I'll pm you the information, you have my word on that. I would try to hit up the Mckay's Mill sub-division to get your name in the area.

If you get any in Franklin, keep it for yourself. I'm about at max capacity for my schedule and I'm not going to be in it that much longer, get your name out.
I'm probably going to go in for some sort of business/ marketing or music. yeah, staying close should be helpful when maintaining the business. I couldn't imagine having to drive a couple of hours just to cut some grass! I haven't heard of Mckay's hill, but I'll google it and find out where it is. Thanks bro!! Talk to you soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerdude777 View Post
Looks great keep it up
Thank you!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S man View Post
Dillon, I have a toro similar to the one you had and am experiencing some cut issues with it. It is the turbo force 48" and clogs bad when cutting through weed mixtures and moist grass. Also no matter what the deck is filled with crap by the time I;m done my first lawn. Also the cut grass is pushed over and makes dead spots over time killing parts of the yard.

Is that what you've experienced with your toro and does your scag do a lot better?? Because I ready to put an end to the madness and buy a scag finally.
I had very similar issues with mine. My Toro had the 7-Gauge deck. The Turbo Force deck was much better, IMO. Go demo a Scag! You have different grass than we do up here in Tennessee. I know a buddy of mine lives in extreme southern Georgia, and he has a scag and it runs and cuts like a striped ape!! You should definitely see if you can demo one for a day. Best of luck!

Thanks!
-223L Husqvarna Trimmer
-EBZ7100 RedMax Blower
-145BT Husqvarna Blower
Old 03-24-2010, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

1100th post...... just had to do it.
-223L Husqvarna Trimmer
-EBZ7100 RedMax Blower
-145BT Husqvarna Blower
Old 03-24-2010, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i dont think you could get many more different angles on the same mowers etc, wow. and i now feel like i have spent time in yuour garage from so many detailed pics right down to every tool you have!!! i know , i am poking fun at you, by not trying to be mean, just find it funny!
Old 03-24-2010, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice stuff, I remember reading about the toro problems, scag is a good choice. I'm also about to pull the trigger on an '05 f-150 extended cab black with all the goodies !