Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-01-2000, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

All this metal stuff that we pay big $$$ for occasionally beaks, cracks or needs improving. I have never welded before, but trying to get minor repairs/modifications done has become a hassle. Has anyone experience in this area and what type/brand of welding unit should I buy? I see wire fed gassless models at Home Depot and in catalogs for 3 to $500. The super glue just aint doin' it.<p>----------<br>Robert Travers<br>TPI Landscape Service
Old 08-01-2000, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use the wire fed gasless ones. I got it at Sears or something. Its very easy to use and it saves time waiting for slow repair places. I think every Lawn Care should have one. I would leave the major repairs to the pros
Old 08-01-2000, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've never welded but I asked a welder about it one time.<p>he said to get the electrode arcwelder that has reversible current.<p>sometimes you want the material to be welded to get hot, sometimes you want the rod to get hot. the reversible polarity helps accomplish this.<p>other than this I don't know whattinthehell I'm talking about!<p>GEO
Old 08-01-2000, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a lincoln wire feed welder with a mig conversion on it. You can use flux core wire in the machine so you don't have to use a tank although I would suggest you buy the mig conversion for it with the medium size bottle of gas and the conversion kit which is the gauges and hoses will cost another 300. I have the little one like you see at home depot but I have the 220V which you can't buy at home depot but can get a sears. The one at depot is 110V I would suggest the 220. I can weld up to 1/4&quot; and the wire feed welder will be a lot eaisier to use than the arc welder. The 220V lincoln wire feed should be plenty enough for any lawn mower. Hope you understand what I just said.
Old 08-01-2000, 06:50 PM

I have a small wire feed and use the flux core so I don't need the gas. It is a 110v unit that I picked up on sale for $200 at Harbor freight-It is a cheap unit. For repairs it is fine. The major difference between the Lincoln Electric and a cheaper unit, from what I heard and read, is the duty cycle. Mine has a 20% duty cycle, but a higher priced welder will hava around a 50% duty cycle. This is the amount of time you can weld without taking a break for it to cool down. (the % is out of 10minutes--example- a 20% duty cycle will weld for 2 minutes continous out of 10 minutes on high power). I went to a welding shop and got a few pointers, and this guy had a 110 v Hobart that costs around $500 and had a 50%duty cycle-nice for projects, but wasn't worth the extra money for my repairs on decks and catchers. I also got a decent book on welding and the different types of welders from Sears (good reading for picking the type of welder you want). I also picked up a metal bender from Harbor freight that will bend up to 1/8&quot; X 2&quot; flat, or 1/4&quot; round or square stock--I can now make brackets to hold trimmers and fancy plant hagers for the wife (I had to justify getting it somehow !!!) Hope this helps<p>jeff
Old 08-02-2000, 12:17 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I learned how to weld 52 years ago. A salesman came by the farm with a Forney Welder and demoed it and my dad bought it. I still use an old arc welder to do all my welding. I wouldn't be without it. Hearing you guys talk about all the new features, makes me want to go buy a new one. Welding just takes practice, so I suggest you get one and you can repair anything at any time you want, not when you can get it to a shop.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://elmlawnsite.com/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 08-02-2000, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Northern Tool & Equipment sells all kinds of welders and supplies. You can check out your local community college to see if they offer courses. I got my brother in law to show me. We've built trailers and made lots of mods to other stuff. When the bottom gets worn off your Jungle Wheels, you can weld on a new one. Get a MIG welder and an 220V AC/DC arc welder for thicker metals.
Old 08-02-2000, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Member

i just watched other do it and copyied. yea i melted some peices and was able to even breack some apart just cost a couple of dollors but just like with trimming bushes the more you practice the better you get just keep making adjustments there are a couple of web sites out there to look at. I and using a stick welder that my father inlaw had laying around not pretty welds yet but give me a little bit. good luck
Old 08-02-2000, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Lincoln sp100 Mig welder, i got the gas setup when i bought it,suppose to make better welds. I've used it for everything from making 2 trailers down to fixing parts on the mowers, great tool to have.
Old 08-02-2000, 08:47 PM

I think i have spent half my life at the weld shop too. Always wanted to learn how to do it. To keep me from having to beg them to do it. NOW!!!