Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2010, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

trailer worn out

i was doing brakes on my trailer the other day and after i got it in the air and un loaded the suspension i found that both the equalizers were worn out. if i hadnt raised it up totally with both axles off the ground i never would have seen this as they were up in the hanger brackets. i recommend everyone take the time and check this on your trailers, both sides were worn and one had a crack starting in it. i will post a pic tomarrow i couldnt believe i never saw them wearing like this til now.

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Old 03-27-2010, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

gone

yeah this newer stuff is made any more out of the cheapest Chinese junk they can get they cast iron they use is the worst quality around ,i used to have to sell it .the older American made part's used to last to long and they couldn't make any money on replacement part's .every thing used to be grease-able with bronze bushings ,now you are lucky if it lasts a year and a half .my ol mans trailer was made in 1962 and it is just getting to the point of needing some part's rebuilt .
Old 03-27-2010, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

this is one reason I bought the 'used' trailer I did..It is torsion suspension. I would be ok with springs if was buying new..( but maybe not after reading previous post) but buying used..I don't want to replace all the stuff right away. My trailer was of the 70's/80's I'm guessing..but still good working suspension. I Know torsions can get weak in time too..but not heard of alot. mine isn't.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

the good thing is all the parts only cost me a little over 50 bucks, just for the suspension not the brakes. probably take a couple hours to do it with an air impact and a torch.

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint