Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Where are you located in Florida?
North Florida 22 22.45%
Central Florida 54 55.10%
South Florida 22 22.45%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 05-19-2010, 12:59 PM
suavematt's Avatar
suavematt suavematt is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Posts: 113
I think most of Florida is getting like that... here in Gainesville there are college-kids & every other person with a pick-up advertising "$25 cuts, any size yard" & quite a few $15-$20 a yard people all over Craigslist... I've emailed a few of them thinking I might send them to my parents house to take care of that for me when I'm busy .... but only actually had a business & insurance.

I've had to branch out to a lot of surrounding suburb-areas of Gainesville to keep the $$$ rolling in... But it's worth it. One neighborhood I have a regular client in has two different alcoholics, maybe homeless that ride old bikes around with a rake across the handlebars & an old 3.5hp 20" Murray push mower on a string tied to the bike's seat-stem who will cut & rake ANY yard for $10 ... ... though they only have a few, "special" tight-wad penny-pincher people who will always let them mow...

Later!

~ Suave'
__________________
Aloha Landscaping & Lawn Care
http://AlohaLandscaper.webs.com

Far as equipment goes...
- I Like FORDS & STIHL

Livin' for the Lord & Lovin' it
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 05-19-2010, 08:58 PM
going yard's Avatar
going yard going yard is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: orlando.fl
Posts: 5
looking to start up a little side job here...what's the going rate out there...dont wanna be a low baller, wearing a ski mask and stealing jobs away from anyone....been rounding together some equipment, so far I have a 14' trailer (open) rigged it up with racks, I have a john deere gs 30 walker w/junglejim sulky/velky ,gota good deal on a cub cadet 50" ztr, will get me going for now, I have a 4stroke troybuilt xp with all the attachments, but once I get some account's I will upgrade to stihl of course I have all the odds and ends tools, rakes ,shovels,brooms,back pack blower, I have a complete set of tree climbing equipment,(was certified by ACRT, urban arbor culture/electrical hazard's) dont plan on getting back heavy into the tree side of the house but lite work would not be out of the question. can offer a few other items....

now question, is it to late to get some accounts? i live near the polk/osceola border and work my regular job in dr.phillips area...the plan would be to do some accounts after work,and on my off day's to get the ball rolling,(10-15 accounts would be cool)then if work craps out (which might happen after 12 yrs of busting my rear for them) I could switch to full time landscaping.
I was thinking of hitting up the poinciana area, seems like there are not alot of the "big dogs " working in there, do they not want to make the run down there, or is the area just bad for bussiness?

any help would be cool....flyers,signs,truck magnents...etc. who do you guy's use?
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 05-19-2010, 09:13 PM
suavematt's Avatar
suavematt suavematt is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Posts: 113
Right Awn' Sounds like you've got a great start to the equipment side of things... I'm not local to your area so can't help ya there... But I personally don't think it's ever too late to start advertising & marketing & looking for new gigs... Until you find a nice local vendor for your vinyl lettering what ever you want, & other business items... Go check out www.vistaprint.com for some dirt-cheap marketing materials like magnetic door signs, shirts, business cards, etc... I like local printers myself, just to keep the $$$ in the local economy... But vista prints is a nice resource for people to spring-board their business ventures from for a small price.

Good luck with it all!

Later!

~ Suave'
__________________
Aloha Landscaping & Lawn Care
http://AlohaLandscaper.webs.com

Far as equipment goes...
- I Like FORDS & STIHL

Livin' for the Lord & Lovin' it
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 05-20-2010, 12:33 AM
going yard's Avatar
going yard going yard is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: orlando.fl
Posts: 5
got my first gig tonight! scored 4 model homes for KB homes! ball is rolling ....just hope to keep it going....dont know how long the model's will last, will have to come up with a creative contract...hope they dont sell for awhile!

oh and I found vista prints, ordered my first set of cards and door mags.

www.goingyard.webs.com

still fresh got some work to do on my site!
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 05-20-2010, 11:08 PM
jimithing31 jimithing31 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Orlando,Florida
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by going yard View Post
looking to start up a little side job here...what's the going rate out there...dont wanna be a low baller, wearing a ski mask and stealing jobs away from anyone....been rounding together some equipment, so far I have a 14' trailer (open) rigged it up with racks, I have a john deere gs 30 walker w/junglejim sulky/velky ,gota good deal on a cub cadet 50" ztr, will get me going for now, I have a 4stroke troybuilt xp with all the attachments, but once I get some account's I will upgrade to stihl of course I have all the odds and ends tools, rakes ,shovels,brooms,back pack blower, I have a complete set of tree climbing equipment,(was certified by ACRT, urban arbor culture/electrical hazard's) dont plan on getting back heavy into the tree side of the house but lite work would not be out of the question. can offer a few other items....

now question, is it to late to get some accounts? i live near the polk/osceola border and work my regular job in dr.phillips area...the plan would be to do some accounts after work,and on my off day's to get the ball rolling,(10-15 accounts would be cool)then if work craps out (which might happen after 12 yrs of busting my rear for them) I could switch to full time landscaping.
I was thinking of hitting up the poinciana area, seems like there are not alot of the "big dogs " working in there, do they not want to make the run down there, or is the area just bad for bussiness?

any help would be cool....flyers,signs,truck magnents...etc. who do you guy's use?
Poinciana is a ghetto for the most part... LONG drive and very shady people... I used to do in home sales for a solar company before I started the landscape biz... I did A TON and I mean a TON of buisness down there... Problem was most of it was BAD business... Majority of people I dealt with were dead beats with bad credit...

I would not risk the expense of getting down there for the strong possibility of people not paying...
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 05-24-2010, 04:22 PM
BearWise Landscapers's Avatar
BearWise Landscapers BearWise Landscapers is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearWise Landscapers View Post
The Magic are looking good. I'm excited to see how far they can go this year in the playoffs...
Tonight might be the last game for the Magic. The Celtics get in their heads. Hopefully they will have another big year next year in the new stadium. It is nice and should help develop downtown Orlando.

Here is a picture I pulled from their online video stream of the construction. It uploads a new picture every hour.

Have those of you from out of town driven through Orlando recently and seen it?
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 05-24-2010, 11:47 PM
Landscape Poet's Avatar
Landscape Poet Landscape Poet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo/Orlando
Posts: 3,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearWise Landscapers View Post

Have those of you from out of town driven through Orlando recently and seen it?
Although I actually live in town - got to say - city beautiful - is not looking so hot with the transition to Bahia from SA (article in past issue of Turf).

The areas that I have seen are riddled with weeds - look like it has been growing out of control. I am thinking they may save money, but I am still not sure it was the right thing to do.


On a brighter note - Magic pulled it off, GO MAGIC
__________________
"the art of survival is a story that never ends"

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 05-28-2010, 06:35 AM
Landscape Poet's Avatar
Landscape Poet Landscape Poet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo/Orlando
Posts: 3,473
Did not catch the game or even turn on the news since getting home last night. Did the boys pull off another win or did the fumble?
__________________
"the art of survival is a story that never ends"

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 06-01-2010, 09:20 AM
BearWise Landscapers's Avatar
BearWise Landscapers BearWise Landscapers is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Did not catch the game or even turn on the news since getting home last night. Did the boys pull off another win or did the fumble?
They did not play well. Boston gets into their heads. Maybe next year...


How is business going for everyone this summer?
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 06-01-2010, 11:26 AM
suavematt's Avatar
suavematt suavematt is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Posts: 113
Sorry to hear about the Magic...

Business is good here. Got a few more commercial road-side accounts that will be great advertisement & with the approaching storm-season lots of people around Gator-town want the trees trimmed or removed. Life is good

Later!

~ Suave'
__________________
Aloha Landscaping & Lawn Care
http://AlohaLandscaper.webs.com

Far as equipment goes...
- I Like FORDS & STIHL

Livin' for the Lord & Lovin' it
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
central florida , florida , north florida , orlando , south florida

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:11 AM.

Page generated in 0.13126 seconds with 9 queries