Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-29-2010, 03:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had owned Toro, Exmark, Scag, Hustler, and Kubota. I have owned 3 Toro Zmaster (500 series) and currently own a Zmaster Diesel (500 series of course).

You will not be disappointed with Toro quality or pricing, I can almost guarantee you. I have not met a single person around here who has not been pleased with Toro.

The 500 series Toro are great mowers, as I said I have owned a variety of mowers and always find my way back to Toro. I really like to "test" new/different brands of mowers and that is why I have owned a variety of brands. I have yet to find a mower that has the same match of quality and value as the Toro.

I would strongly suggest getting the TurboForce deck, this is the only deck I have owned on my Toro. I have heard some negatives about the "non turboforce" 7 gauge deck, so I would definitely get the TurboForce.

As far as that pricing, that sounds like a very good price. At least better then anything around here, that is for sure. I would not go with an engine smaller than a 27hp Kohler on a 60" deck and as stated before absolutely get the TurboForce deck. Back in 2007 I got a 2006 Toro 52" w/ TurboForce deck and 27hp Kohler engine for $6800 (from a dealer that had problems with Toro headquarters and was discontinuing carrying Toro), and I was told that I got it for about $200 more than what they had bought it for directly from the manufacturer. Also, keep in mind that that was back in 2007 so there has been a bit of inflation since then.

If you have any other questions you can shoot me a PM as I am pretty familiar with Toro 500 series mowers.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I have the exact model you seem to be speaking of and can tell you I have had no issues whatsoever. I will tell you I only have 26 hours on it and the kohler does burn oil but the 7 guage has done everything i have wanted it to do. It does well on hills and has burned through tall grass with ease. I paid 7350 for it back this month. The next mower i get will probobly be another toro and i will upgrade to the turbo force deck. Good Luck
Old 04-29-2010, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybo700R View Post
Greg, Can you elaborate exactly why the Bad Boy is a piece of junk? What about them is a problem? I really want to know.

..Jay
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2010, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtharris View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Theres nothing wrong with them
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2010, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocs27 View Post
I have the exact model you seem to be speaking of and can tell you I have had no issues whatsoever. I will tell you I only have 26 hours on it and the kohler does burn oil but the 7 guage has done everything i have wanted it to do. It does well on hills and has burned through tall grass with ease. I paid 7350 for it back this month. The next mower i get will probobly be another toro and i will upgrade to the turbo force deck. Good Luck
Are you saying that on a brand new mower the kohler is burning oil already?
36" toro t-bar walk-behind
2 blowers
2 line trimmers
22' lawnboy residential mower
Old 04-29-2010, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've heard talk about the Kohler 27hp having problems too. Maybe someone that knows can elaborate. As far as the Toro goes ask them to let you demo it if you like it buy it. Never buy a mower you've never tried without a demo.

Then demo a few others don't take anyones word on what is junk what is not.
The dealer is important. The John Deer 910 would be my choice over the Toro,
or at least I would do a comparison. The BB Outlaw would also be in that price range and worthy of a demo. If nobody wants to let you demo their mowers, go to a better dealer.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 04-29-2010, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtharris View Post
Theres nothing wrong with them
Posted via Mobile Device
If you want the right answer sometimes you got to answer the question yourself...

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 05-01-2010, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish5 View Post
I have been looking at new mowers, i wish i could afford a turf tiger, and i really like the xmark lazer z in a 60inch, but about 10k out the door. So i go by a toro dealership and see the 500 series. 12 gallon tank, 10mph, 27 kohler, and a sale price of 7200.00? Now i have never owned a ztr, and the only one i have used is my uncles turf tiger "which is a 61 with the 27horse kohler". Does anyone out there know of a better deal than the toro? Does anyone have a 500 series. here is a link. would love to hear your opinions.

Is their a huge drop in quality from the master series to the 500 series?

P.S. , I know nothing of gravely, great dane, and bobcat. You just dont see them down here in florida. My ears are open to all suggestions though. Maybe except for badboy, the fanatics have turned me off to them by hyjacking every post i have read on this forum where a lawnmower was mentioned.

here is a link to the toro 500 series. you can click on specifications for the specifics. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this forum.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-01-2010, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

u should listen to the bad boy fanatics i did and im totally satisfied with mine and have a lot of money left over if u want tn spend a lot more money and get no more mower then go for it just trying to help u save somehard earned cash fanatics are the way they are because they believe in their cause just like some other different brand ownerson lawnsite whatever floats your boat its ur money and decision
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-01-2010, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
If you want the right answer sometimes you got to answer the question yourself...
Posted via Mobile Device