Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2010, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Mulch installation, can you look over my numbers

I know some of you have a hard time looking at post like this. But I just want to make sure I am close to being right on my numbers.

The bed prep will consist of pulling weeds around all mulch beds. Edge is already defined. There is A LOT which im going to estimate at 3 hrs max. - $75

Next the H.O wants 5 large bushes cut off at the base. Doesn't want them dug up just cut off and covered up. - $50

One tree to be trimmed, not very big. - $20

There is 1125 SF of mulch which is about 10.5 cubic yards. I will provide 11 yards. For the 11 yards installed, including me buying mulch will be - $550

The delivery fee for mulch will be $45

Tax will be $71.04

For a grand total of $811.04

After all of my cost for fuel, mulch. I should be getting around $41 per man hour.

Do my number sound good, I am new to the mulch installs and all. I usually just do mowing.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Are you planning on putting down 3" of mulch? Seems like lot of mulch for the area unless they have never had mulch before. How much are you paying for mulch? It seems very cheap. I don't think you will make any money on this job. I would be 50% more than you on the job.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Member

sounds to me like you need more mulch than that. if you spread a yard of mulch one inch thick it will cover 125sf. you will only be spreading it one inch thick?
Old 03-29-2010, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah they are wanting 3" of mulch put down. He is wanting just the plain jane $16 per sf mulch. It is friend/family member. So im trying not to break the bank on them either. I figured the amount I would pull all said and done would be around $415 over the 10 hours which would put me pulling $41 or so an hour.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated though. Cause I certainly don't want to work for peanuts either.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdutcher003 View Post
sounds to me like you need more mulch than that. if you spread a yard of mulch one inch thick it will cover 125sf. you will only be spreading it one inch thick?
1 yard should cover 125 sf at 2" thick.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKJLawnCare View Post
1 yard should cover 125 sf at 2" thick.
Almost 3 inches.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdutcher003 View Post
Not sure where you get your calculations from but that is wrong. LxW/300 is the formula I use for mulch. I believe the number is actually 314 but I use 300 to make a round number. 1 yard will cover 314 square feet at 1 inch. Under tools in the upper left corner there is a mulch calculator and all you have to do is punch in the square footage if that helps. The formula I use works out to be almost exactly the same except I will have a little more because I divide by 300 rather than 314.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKJLawnCare View Post
Yeah they are wanting 3" of mulch put down. He is wanting just the plain jane $16 per sf mulch. It is friend/family member. So im trying not to break the bank on them either. I figured the amount I would pull all said and done would be around $415 over the 10 hours which would put me pulling $41 or so an hour.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated though. Cause I certainly don't want to work for peanuts either.
Do you think you can finish all of that in a 10 hour day by yourself. I don't
Old 03-30-2010, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
Do you think you can finish all of that in a 10 hour day by yourself. I don't
Yeah I could do it by myself in 14 hours. My wife will be giving me 4 to 6 hours of help seeing as it is her family. So I think 10 hours is doable. If she doesn't help I will still be done in 14 making my per hour around 32. I think that will work since it is family.

How many man hours do u guess in this job. Like I say I am still new to all of the landscape side. Thanks again everyone
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2010, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

At 3" deep you need 10.4 yards and me and one helper could do it in like 4-5 hrs tops,I would be around 850 just for the mulch but that's me and for a family member i would do the entire job for around 5-600