Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-29-2010, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you remove old much.

Do you completely remove all of the old much before putting down fresh mulch for the season?
Old 03-29-2010, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoste76 View Post
Do you completely remove all of the old much before putting down fresh mulch for the season?
not unless the area is overflowing over a curb or something.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 03-29-2010, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Member

so i take it it just depends on where the mulch is and how it will look if you over lay it
Old 03-29-2010, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
so i take it it just depends on where the mulch is and how it will look if you over lay it
I very rarely take it away. It decomposes and breaks down. I only add 1 -1 1/2 inches every year. we just add more every year.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
yes............

SOLO OPERATION
Old 03-29-2010, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We take mulch off alot, but only from new accounts typically..huge selling point for me actually, because I show new clients how badly their old company has been choking their trees and plants, and how we do it at the proper depths and levels to save their plants and their wallet. Works every time!
Old 03-30-2010, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieFerris View Post
We take mulch off alot, but only from new accounts typically..huge selling point for me actually, because I show new clients how badly their old company has been choking their trees and plants, and how we do it at the proper depths and levels to save their plants and their wallet. Works every time!
so you sell them a line of BS and rip them off?

SOLO OPERATION
Old 03-30-2010, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nope, not BS at all. Most companies don't train their staff about proper mulching (go look at all the unhealthy mulch volcanoes soon) and how improper mulching is even worse than none at all. This error is a great opening for me to go in and tell the potential customer a major error on their property and how we noticed it from a distance and can fix it. They appreciate our help, we often save them lots of money on replacing trees that would die or get diseased because of this poor practice, and we make more money. WIN-WIN-WIN. And if you read at all, you should do some research about mulch, because even installed properly, you still need to take some out from time to time
Old 03-30-2010, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It depends on how much mulch is down & wether or not it has a lot of broad leaf; clover, fungus, etc. growing in it from overwatering. If the beds are reasonably clean, we apply glyco & a pre-emergent & leave the old then add just enough to get to about 2" if overgrown with weeds, we put down a pre-emergent mixed with Glyco (Pendulum Aquacap is cheap and good) before we add the mulch.

If the mulch shows evidence of fungus, we take it out and put down a fungicide & pre-emergent (copper sulfate is cheap as a fungicide)

It may cost a little more, but I'd rather pass on the job if I can't do it right. Specially down here, put down some new mulch on weeded out old mulch or one contaminated with fungus, the weeds & fungus will still be a problem kill off his ornamentals and the customer be P.Oed at you.

I also like to be careful about what I mulch around and how close to the woody part of the ornamental I get; Hibiscus for example is fussy.

Truth is, most of the time I quote the job along with the specs, somebody else does it and I'm not responsible for the results... they have been warned.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

jvan

When you say fungus in the mulch, are you referring to the white stuff that shows up on older mulch?? I thought that that fungi was beneficial?? What other fungi would be in the mulch and what does it look like??