Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2010, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Honda HHT35SLTAT 4 Stroke

It's all a matter of personal preference. When practical and available I prefer a 4 stroke engine over a 2 stroke engine. To me a 4 stroke engine is more of a work engine and a 2 stroke engine is more of a performance engine.

That said, I prefer the Honda 4 stroke trimmer over a comparable 2 stroke trimmer for the following reasons:

1 No gas and oil to mix.

2 Better fuel economy

3 Quieter

4 Lower emissions

5 Less vibration

6 Easier starting

7 More torque at low RPM's means less fuel used, tall grass trimmed at partial throttle, less debris kicking up,quieter operation.

8 The Honda 4 stroke trimmer can be operated and stored in any position just like a 2 stroke.

I have used both a 2 stroke trimmer and the Honda 4 stroke trimmer, I prefer the Honda, but that is me, you should demo several makes and models to reach a decision.

Info on the Honda trimmer I own in below link.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/p...lid=HHT35SLTAT
Old 03-31-2010, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gatorline .095 or .105 is definately the hands down best.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Where is the face of the Earth? I want to take a picture.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynnC View Post
Since I have more string trimmers (weedeaters) than I can count, I'm not sure there is a "best" trimmer. I have a Shindaiwa 270 that I traded an hours work for--it's rock solid, but heavy. It came from commercial crew that uses and abuses equip. Worked on several more--they are tough!

Just bought a new Kawasaki KGT27A as my own personal trimmer--hands off is the word when we go out. Bought it because one of the guys that I maintain equip. for has some that I know are on there 4th or 5th year--could be longer, they have thousands of hours on them, are light weight, and strong enough for anything I get into.

Maintain equip for another guy who uses RedMax. Previously he ran Shin 270 but got tired of the weight. The older RedMax's were great--newer ones come to me for repair more often than they should. He mostly runs the 2301 and 2401.

All this said, today I would vote for the Kaw KGT27A.

Haven't used or worked on Stihls--no opinion! RedMax and Shindaiwa rule the trade around here, beginning to see a few more Stihls on trailers.
Being a big Shindaiwa fan, the T270 with the loop handle was legendary in it's power to weight ratio. However, I had a friend turn me on to the Kawasaki KGT27A with the SpeedFeed head and that was the perfect combo right there. Grab a KGT27A if you can still get one! The Kaw KGT27B are not the same. I've tried the Stihl 2 cycle trimmers and they seem to have a lot of torque for their size but not the smoothness and refinement of the Shindaiwa IMHO.