Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Customers!!

Had two customers freak out because mowed exactly one week apart. These are customers from last year that I keep on a 7-10 day mowing rotation. I explained to one of them again how it works. She was ok with how I do things just would like it closer to 10 days which I'm ok with. The other talked to my brother and went back in the house. He said she was a little crazy so I figured I'll let her cool off and call her later. She is probably having money problems because she gambles for a living. This is a good area for me because my brother lives in the same area and he helps me in exchange I mow his yard. Making 200 in a hour and half. Plus I lost six house due to them being sold or moved. Not starting out too good this year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2013, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Work hard to replace those nutjobs. 7 days is too long to wait in the spring. They really need cut every 4 or 5 days.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I no longer accept customers who want it cut every 10 days. Every customer of mine is put on a once a week schedule (every 7 days), very rarely I will accept a customer who wants it every 2 weeks, but even then the lawn better not grow too fast. I find that the people who want their lawn cut once a week are more the customers that I want and actually care about what their lawn looks like.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-26-2013, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. These lawns do not grow fast at all that is why I go up to 10 days. One day I will replace a couple of them just for this reason but not yet because they are priced pretty good. Both of these women have there 40 plus year daughters living with them and grandson. Something wrong with this picture but keeps money in my pocket.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2013, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in an argument right now with a customer who had azaleas that were unkept, out of shape , and being choked by vines and growth. It looked like a big green blob. Well, when i cut everything away, and back, it left them bare. Alot of it due to being smothered by growth, and cutting the outer edges left them bare. There was no way to cut them back without leaving them bare. I worked hard on it, and gave her a great price. In my mind, i thought she would be thrilled. Now she says i butchered her bushes. You can't reason with some people.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm normally a patient man but I was pushed to my limits just last night by a new customer like this. A new customer hires me Sunday and says he wants it to always look nice because his wife is picky. I was mowing it last night when she came out and started fussing at me that it's only been 5 days. She wants to call me when it needs mowed. "No, I'm sorry, I can't do that. I have a schedule that I need to work you in to." And I explain that if they're on a budget I can keep it to no more than 7 days, but it will look bad and will ruin their lawn because it's so lush. She said she wants it to always look good, but to not mow it more than every 7 - 10 days. It took all I had to bite my tongue and not kick her to the curb. If it wasn't such a small yard and next door to one I already mow...
Old 04-26-2013, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea that's the way I see it too. 5 houses in less than a 1/4 mile I don't even shut the mower off. Just put it on the trailer running.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2013, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

With a full schedule, I could never fit them in. I had one last year that wanted every 10. I did it and was a nightmare. This year its every 7 until it gets dry if it gets dry.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2013, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Now looking for referrals to give these types of customers to. Qualifications- must be desperate.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2013, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i dunno how you can schedule yards if they want every 5 days or every 10 days. that would make for mass confusion and constant changes all over the place. keep it simple. i mow every 7 days or every 14 days. that's the only 2 choices.