Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2010, 06:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

72" mowers cost a lot more than 60". Yes, it is overkill most of the time.
Actually, a 52-54 would be better for me because it get's in a lot more places. That's why I have my WB.
You'd be surprised how much a 60 will get done.
One more thing, a 60 probably would be easier to sell in the future. Not to say the 72 wouldn't sell but there would be more people interested in a 60.
Most landscapers that own 72"s already have their bases covered with 60"s and just need a wider mower, usually for some extraordinary big open areas.
If you get a 72, get the biggest engine available. BTW-My 60 has a 25 Kawasaki and it performs great.

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Well, I hope everyone is happy now.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:53 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree with Tharrell the 60" mower is all you will need. Weather you go with the tank or the scag.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

go scag or any other brand than cub tank. a cub tank m60 would be like scags wildcat 61 inch just way better. the turf tiger is above the wildcat. if you want to compair a cub tank to something the closest thing would be what you drop in your toilet when sitting down
Old 03-31-2010, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

See what I mean? This guy has either had a bad experience or more likely hasn't even used a CC. That's unfortunately the way it is on here.
Too many people commenting on items they know nothing about.
Sometimes it's a bigshot wanna be, sometimes it's a 14 year old kid, sometimes they're one in the same.
You have to be careful who you listen to.
I say demo them both for yourself.

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Old 03-31-2010, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharrell View Post
See what I mean? This guy has either had a bad experience or more likely hasn't even used a CC. That's unfortunately the way it is on here.
Too many people commenting on items they know nothing about.
Sometimes it's a bigshot wanna be, sometimes it's a 14 year old kid, sometimes they're one in the same.
You have to be careful who you listen to.
I say demo them both for yourself.
lol wrong, i owned 2 of them. and still have a walk behind cub tank. in business 12 years and have owned almost every mower made. just cause you own 1 dont make it the best. they are not near the top compaired to scag, exmark, hustler, bobcat, than next i would put ferris, dixie, gravely, wright. and than yazoo and cub
Old 03-31-2010, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I ended up with a Lesco z-two. The cub is a better machine than the Lesco because of the suspension seat that comes factory; however, the Lesco is older than the cubs I have seen with factory suspension seats so this could be due to its age.

The cub compared to the Scag well the Scag is a superior machine but that doesn't mean the Cub/Lesco is bad. I don't have any problems with my 25hp 60" I have owned a Turf tiger. I can't see a difference in decks cutting the type of grass around here maybe in your area that would be different. I can see a considerable price difference between a cub and scag though and I would buy the Cub over the Scag just for that reason alone.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

"if you want to compair a cub tank to something the closest thing would be what you drop in your toilet when sitting down"

That's the sort of ridiculous statement that doesn't belong in a review.
It sorta puts you in the "disgruntled" category and negates your opinion.

By the way, for being in business for only 12 years you certainly seem to have been through a lot of equipment.
You either have a HUGE operation or are very hard on equipment or........

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Old 04-03-2010, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Just one data point here but my M48 Tank has been a mess since it had 0.1 on the hr gauge.
Most all of the issues have been tied to the 23hp Kawi engine however the Hydro pump failing at 45 hrs was ridiculous.
Some of the issues to date:
23 hp Kawi likes to spit flames/fire out the muffler, die and fail to restart. It only did it twice in 45 hrs and couldnt be replicated. I sometimes had a flame continue a good 10+ seconds after turning it off, scorching the gas tank! (I didnt see it the 2nd time until a neighbor ran over to tell me my tractor was on fire!) The scorch marks on the bottom of the gas tank and blackend muffler were enough to convince 2nd dealer there was an issue that resulted in a few calls to Cub Care to resolve.

1st dealer performed leak down test indicating there was an issue and replaced all the gaskets on the carbs. Within 15 hrs or so flames returned.
After several tries, a 2nd Cub dealer replaced the carbs, gas tanks, and fuel pump (and some other related items at Cub Care's direction). No issues in last 3 mowings <fingers crossed>
Also had to have the left hydro pump replaced as it was bad.
Belt broke 3 times in less than 5 hrs (1st dealer accidentally removed a washer when reinstalling the deck after the first service and dint realize it until refrencing a model on the floor)

So, with 51 hrs on her she has operated the last 3-5 without incident. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Only other issue that pissed me off was reception by local dealer here who put me on the bottom of every wait list because I didnt get it locally. Well, I didnt live here when I bought it. We moved shortly afterwards and damn, that pissed me off. Hell, I brought it in there for all it's maintenance and that's where many dealers count on making money anyway.

The good news is that it's operated without issue this year and I have identified a competent dealer to service it and buy parts from. I Know there are guys out there who have had good luck with these Cubs. In fact, several services around here have gone to all Tanks. I'd like to think I just went through a stretch of bad luck.

On a side note, the 23hp Kawi is a little overwhelmed in the M48. Wish it had the 25 hp Kawi or even the 27hp Kohler.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

It takes a wider trailer to haul the 72 " mower.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't have a lot of faith in dealers like I did when I first started. I'm sure a lot of you may be the same way. The mechanics they hire are sometimes questionable and it truly is hard to make a living in a mower shop working on cheap throw away equipment most of the time. That said, you should be assurred that your equipment is fixed as it should be.
Motorcycle shops are about the same. Some of these shops actually farm out work. Then what do you get?
I know that Cub Commercial is built with the same name brand, quality components as all the others. It's actually overbuilt in my opinion.
The hydro pumps and wheel motors are top notch. Kawasaki makes a great engine, most people will agree. I think maybe you got a lemon or it was setup and serviced incorrectly. Don't want to piss you off further so I'll tell you one of my horror stories.
My only issue is the rear brakes. They are mechanical drum brakes. Mine apparently froze and I didn't have time to work on them myself so I took it into the shop with a very detailed written list of things in addition to the brakes.
Long story short, my list was apparently not detailed enough because it was all goofed up.
I tried to pick it up 3 times and the mower wouldn't sit still on my trailer. They took it back every time and tightned the brake.
Well' they broke the link from the brake handle!
It took 2 weeks to get that damn part and then I had to pay for it and the labor.
Yeah it's coming back to me now and I'm pissed again, thanks!
Anyway, it pays to work on your own equipment if you can or find a mechanic that you can befriend and call your own.

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12

Last edited by Tharrell; 04-05-2010 at 08:31 AM.

Tags
cub cadet , scag , zero turn