Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-31-2010, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwelve View Post
This year is the worst start we have ever had since starting in the business 10 years ago.
So far we have lost 6 residential accounts and one large commercial account and are on the verge of losing two more large commercial accounts, all do to price. No one seems to care anymore about quality of work or the numerous services you provide, it`s all about price.
I opened the local merchandiser this morning and looked under lawn care services, there were 22 listings for lawn care services, some I have never heard of before.
Obama sure has this country screwed up and especially the economy.
It has has me so depressed I am thinking about giving up the business.
I cannot do a half a#@ed job, I want my properties to look the best I can possibly do, in the past my business was built on quality and dependability, not price.
What are other LCO`s seeing this year
Sorry, just had to vent some.
lol i hear you, i am starting to cut tomorrow and i lost a few people and the calls im getting this year everyone is like oh can you do it every other week or lower your price.. after like 5 calls asking this i just tell people, look this is a business this is the price. im at the point where i dont care anymore. i already seen a guy with a minivan pulling tiny trailer with a tractor and push mower (new guy in business lol). im planning on seeing alot of these new part time collecting unemployment people this year cutting grass for extra money this year..
Old 03-31-2010, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The past year has been the most odd ever.

Last spring after the housing scenerio, I expected to be slow. Turns out that a few months were great. By winter, we saw the slowest since 1988.

Then one week alone this January made that month better than any January we had been in business.

February was okay, and now its slow.

The last 3 business owners I have talked to that I know, from several completely different businesses said that their business volume and sales are way down.

Keep on prospering ...

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 03-31-2010, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Granted I don't advertise much anymore, but I did flyer 2 developments I am currently servicing and put an ad in the local paper for a couple weeks. I have not recieved much response yet. I was asked by a friend to bid on a youth center that she manages. The area included a large ballfield and about a 1/2 acre around the building that needed mowed. There was also about 15 minutes worth of trimming and the infield needed raking also. She said they were not happy with the service of the current LCO but liked the price of 80$ a week and by being a nonprofit could not afford much more. The 1/2 ace around the building that needed mowed only could be done with a smaller mower, so I bid 100$. Needless to say I did not here back from her.
I did retain all of my current customers except for 1. It was an older couple that could not afford a lawn service anymore and will try to cut it themselves. I was going to raise some rates this year, but have decided against it.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwelve View Post
Obama sure has this country screwed up and especially the economy.
I agree. The country was in fine shape until he got into office. Puh-leaze! I don't endorse Obama but we were going to be in this sitauation regardless of who won. You can't borrow continuously for over 100 years and then next expect to have to pay it back at some point. This "enconomy" that we're in is nothing compared to what's coming. This is just a warm up.

If you wonder why I blame borrowing for the problems then you should read up on why the housing bubble got started in the first place.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The problem with this country is the Republicans are not who they say they are and the Dems are who they say they are. Both parties are a complete joke. I do not know who is worse at this point. But the most comical group is the " Tea Party Crowd", preaching against all of this government spending. Where were they during the Bush years, when Bush and his hacks were trumping up false accusations to invade Iraq, which has cost the country far more than these bailouts.
Toro super recycler
Husky trimmers
Echo trimmers
Husky BP blower
DR commercial brushmower-17HP Kaw/30" deck
Echo stick edger
Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 F-150 Supercrew
Old 03-31-2010, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbmd1 View Post
I love how everyone blames someone else for their woes. Obama? Please....... The only competition is yourself! Try listening to Marty Grunder, pull your bootstraps up and do something about it. There's more to finding customers than putting an ad in the local paper.
This post should be a sticky on top of the home page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
The problem with this country is the Republicans are not who they say they are and the Dems are who they say they are. Both parties are a complete joke. I do not know who is worse at this point. But the most comical group is the " Tea Party Crowd", preaching against all of this government spending. Where were they during the Bush years, when Bush and his hacks were trumping up false accusations to invade Iraq, which has cost the country far more than these bailouts.
Please stop the poli chat, hijack a thread in the off-topic forum.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not all part timers are bad. I am in my 4th year part time and I am seeing the same things. I do everything right, pay taxes, charge appropriately, yada, yada, yada.... I agree that there are problems but this is one of the easiest industries to get into. What can you expect??

It supports my family too. I've already lost a few to price, not wanting weekly cutting, and a lot of calls are just for price. I hate it too but not all part time guys are bad. I'm often beat out by larger "Full Time" businesses with a lower price. I've also met more guys who drop the mowing and just landscape. I count on the income just like full timers so I feel the pain. I'm sure A LOT of part timers are bad just not all.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2010, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've been busy since almost the beginning of March, that is very unusual because I don't
normally really start until April 1st but I am not arguing out this fine detail with a customer.

Did lose 3, one sold the house, the other is being sold so...
And the last mailed to cancel.

Gained 1 today, another who called once or twice last year has had me doing 3-4 things already and said more is on the way,
another apparent part-timer joined up as well...
So IF...

IF things keep going the way they are I'll be stupid busy before long at all.
But starting my 9th year I'm a little too old to get excited over it anymore lol
I just hope it kinda works out some ways.

Last edited by topsites; 04-01-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The seeds where planeted in the 90's. China was not built over night. Now we will have our standard of living go down.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
lol i hear you, i am starting to cut tomorrow and i lost a few people and the calls im getting this year everyone is like oh can you do it every other week or lower your price.. after like 5 calls asking this i just tell people, look this is a business this is the price. im at the point where i dont care anymore. i already seen a guy with a minivan pulling tiny trailer with a tractor and push mower (new guy in business lol). im planning on seeing alot of these new part time collecting unemployment people this year cutting grass for extra money this year..
You are cutting grass tomorrow are you serious? You are 20 minutes from me and the grass is mostly too short { unless fertilized} and way to wet especially for any thing heavy like a ztr. Good luck though!