Register free!

Old 04-02-2010, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru75 View Post
You told that tightwad you would discount your labor? Good Lord, man!
Walk away, fast.
The tightwad will keep stringing him along to see how low OP will go.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As low as the bid already was, you should not have lowered the price any more. Next time customers tell you that, offer to reduce the scope of work (no seeding & lawn work) Dont reduce your potential profit because this guy cannot afford it. Another option is phasing over a couple years or financing
Old 04-02-2010, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superior L & L View Post
offer to reduce the scope of work (no seeding & lawn work) Dont reduce your potential profit because this guy cannot afford it. Another option is phasing over a couple years or financing
That's 100% correct.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meezer View Post
The tightwad will keep stringing him along to see how low OP will go.
Yup, it's like a game to some people. He'll probably brag to all his neighbors about how he demanded a lower price and got it 'cause he's so tough.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hate seeing the word "BID" on this site.

Don't say "bid" Unless you do commercial work.

Bid means to submit a price with the hopes of being the lowest to obtain the job or the highest to obtain an object. Bidding only relates to dollars.

I *price work for what it will cost us to do it and hopefully make a profit* known as quoting

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey OP did you get the project?? If not, theres a guy in your town, West Dundee, IL that needs some help:

Hardscaping - Brick Paving, Prepping Base, Brick Garden Bed (West Dundee)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-04-05, 1:54PM CDT
Reply to: gigs-6rvs9-1677553024@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am looking for someone for a days work. It will be the next nice day we have. It may be thursday. Whatever day it doesnt rain comming up. I have a 300 sq ft brick paver patio I am laying. I have 120' of garden bed that I am laying 2 retaining wall brick and 1 cap stone high. Hole is dug with gravel in. We just need to tamp, put leveing sand, grade it, lay brick. I also have trench dug for garden bed brick, just need to put a bit of gravel and some sand and lay.

I am looking for someone who I can leave work on his own either grading and laying the patio brick while I work on the garden beds or visa versa. YOU will need to have done this many times before and be able to have thing be level and strait as well as know how to cut brick. Do not respond if you are not 100% sure of yourself. This could lead to other work for you down the road depending on our work flow this year.

Let me know asap via text message your info below : NO PHONE CALLS I WILL RESPONDE TO WHOM GIVE ME THE DETAILS BELOW AFTER 330 PM CST TODAY.

I need you to txt me your:

full name
Phone number
Vehicle

Thanks,

Michael 630-945-8118

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/lbg/1677553024.html
Old 04-06-2010, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superior L & L View Post
As low as the bid already was, you should not have lowered the price any more. Next time customers tell you that, offer to reduce the scope of work (no seeding & lawn work) Dont reduce your potential profit because this guy cannot afford it. Another option is phasing over a couple years or financing
Never put your profit on the table. Take something off the table before you lower the price on anything. Offer less to lower the price, make the homeowner choose what it is.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey guys. first off pardon my spelling b/c I plain out suck at it & I appriciate all the feedback. I am willing to take critisicum as long as it is constructive and not attacking. I see most people on here are good guys.

No I don't plan on doing this as a Hobbie. Do you think I would start a legit business for a hobbie? It takes time to grow and learn my friend. I am not going to be a pro and do everything correct right out of the gat. I do have a FT Sale job durring the day and my partner just got laid off so he is able to work for us FT. Eventually I will get out of it and do work and sales for our company.

We are not doing half ass work either. We hold our work to the highest standards even if it takes us extra time. We strive for excellence and a good name that is why we get referrals.

We started our lawn business with push mowers on the side. I started with a partner because that is how it worked out. Each of us had some equiptment but neither had the whole deal or could afford it all. We both have skills the other dosn't have. I know partnerships don't alwasy work but hey at least I can say we have a legit insured buisiness that is pretty successfull after only being in business for 10 months.

I understand where everyone is comming from on the pricing. I am not going to make it a habbit to " Submit Pricing " to a customer that is low balling. I do realize it hurts only ME and the INDUSTRY as a whole. I hate low ballers myself. This guy is pretty much a neighbor to us for he lives like 2 blocks from our home base. This job is a good learning experiance as a whole for our company from the estimating, planning, & completion of the job. We really needed a job like this under our belt.

With how far we have come on this job we have about 65 man hours in and probably will have another 35 or so. We will probably come out after paying people and all materials / rentals about 2200-2500 in profit. For us right now that is not bad. This will help us get a better trailer and a second mower. Right now that is what we need to do to grow. Without better and more equiptment we can not begin to think about getting big jobs. If you think back to when you started ( if you started with low capital and barily any equiptment ) you will remember that you needed revenue to grow.

I assure you all that we will be in this for the long haul and will help the industry and not hurt it.

Any info or feedback we can get is great in terms of pricing and stuff so that we can keep our prices up as to not hurt anyone elses pockets b/c I would feel the same way.

Take care guys. I'll post some pics when we are done.

www.mylawnwizard.com
Old 04-07-2010, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
With how far we have come on this job we have about 65 man hours in and probably will have another 35 or so. We will probably come out after paying people and all materials / rentals about 2200-2500 in profit.

It seems from reading your posts that you have no idea what profit means in terms of running a legit business.

In your first post your wrote:

Quote:
I figured in like $3400 in materials, rental equipt, and hard costs. We figured about $2700 in labor

So what happened to the the profit part?????
Old 04-07-2010, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Yo Mr. Mason. Buddy, it was an estimate on materials. It looks like we will be around 3100. Plus we got an extra 100 out of him. That makes 3K left. I don't see how you figure that with our small 2 man company that 3K in 5 days is NOT PROFIT?

In addition: It seems all of your posts are agrumentitive or speaking in an attacking way, don't respond to me anymore. I don't need your comments. You are just the type of hater on this board that I speak about.

Go SOX, Cubs suck anyway.

I appriciate all the other guys comments for they were all constructive. I am not on this board to get into argumetative debates. I came here for opinons and help. Thanks to all who know whats up.