Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2010, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

& if were at 3K materials, 1,200 @ 10per hr ( 120 man hours ) , leaves 1900 profit. That is pretty damn close to 1/3 materials - 1/3 labor - 1/3 profit

I am not sure if that is how they use that calculation but that is what I am thinking. no?
Old 04-07-2010, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It is quite obvious with your immature rant that you can't accept any constructive criticism at all.

I really feel bad for the legit contractors out there in the Western burbs. They now have another jackleg to contend with
Old 04-07-2010, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Haha. That is hailarious. Immature..... ? wow, Dude read your posts. Your critisim isn't constructive at all it is argumentative. Try going to school. We will make the industry better in time, don't worry. You don't have to hate. We are building good relationships with well know people in all facets of our business here in the western burbs, even other hardscapers. We are in business to bring good not make things worse. Just because we are a new company that is in the process of learning dosn't make us bad. I assure you we will be helping some of the other hardscapers out here in the future. We will be big.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, you are very immature. Anyone reading your previous post can clearly see that. You should follow your own advice & go back to school. The fact that you have no clue on what the differences are between ones labor costs vs profit is quite revealing
Old 04-07-2010, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I am well over $12k and I havent figured in removal of the concrete. Oh well back to the drawing table! I have a feeling the op is going to be there alot longer than he thinks.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

$10.00 per hour?
Not a lowballer, huh?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Member

More bashers. Look man that is what I was paying anyone we had helping us. We were figuring our labor at $30 per hour. Like is said we are very small have almost no over head except repairs, insurance, registrations, ect... We both had FT jobs till my partner got laid off. We are trying to get things right. If you were to read the whole thread you would understand this is our 1st BRICK job. You can't expect us to be 100% correct with pricing not knowing what others charge for things. We got the call, went to the job and did our best to throw a price out there. RELAX. We are not here to low ball the industry. Our pricing will come up once we realize where the market is at.

I do appricate good comments. Don't bash. I am not here to bash others.

yeah I will let you know how many man hours we have when we are done. its been raining the past few days which set us back on the job.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Mylawnwi,

I have to say something here- you have received quite a few remarks that are let's say- glass half empty. While I agree with some (don't take a hit on your profits or time), I also agree with offering a low quote to get the job to help promote your business. You have to start somewhere and if you feel you have covered most of your costs, then good for you! If it turns out you take a loss, it's not like it's going to cost you your business. As long as you make sure the job is done right and don't create a bad reputation for yourself, you will be just fine. I would like to suggest taking a class offered by ICPI (Interlocking Concrete Pavement Institute) or NCMA (National Concrete Masonry Association) that will help you understand all the elements to quoting out a job. Also, our company offers a class that certifies you as a certified applicator and in the class our trainer provides tips on the best way to bid (or quote) on a job. Check out upcoming classes here-http://surebond.com/certification/
Good luck and I hope everything goes well for you!
Old 04-08-2010, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks ( mcornett ) I agree with a lot of the stuff some of the guys say too. It is all a learning experiance for us. I figure the same thing. Hey we needed this job to gain valuble experiance in many ways.

I will take a look at some of these courses for sure. Education can never hurt in this business. I am still learning about the differrent companies out there that sell & promote their brick products.

The main thing for us on this one is we make a bit of revenue and we do the job correct. Next time we know more.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

. We are still very small with little overhead other than insurance, gas, & maintenance or so you know. We are using my 2 car garage as our shop so no rent there.

These are dangerous words. Subsidizing your business with use of your home is not a good idea. You can take advantage of it, but by that I mean price like other companies and make extra profit. You will not always be able to work from home.

Also Gas and Maintenance are not overhead. Overhead are costs that you incur without production. Office staff, insurance, rent, phone bill.

Gas and Maintenance are direct cost that are incurred through production. If you don't work, you don't have these costs.

Gas and maintenance of an estimating or sales vehicle could however be classified as overhead.

Nothing that goes into producing a job is free....ever. Not paper from the home printer, not your time, not your garage (you paid or are paying for it) not the use of you truck or wife's car. You have to charge for everything that goes into the job.