Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2010, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks man. All is good info that I will take into account forsure. I just seen a cupon book come to my place yesterday and this lawn company is advertising lowest cut price starting at $15. I am like Geeze man talk about low balling. We do nothing cheaper than $25 but hate to do less than $30
Old 04-08-2010, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru75 View Post
$10.00 per hour?
Not a lowballer, huh?
That's right Bru75 you have OP pegged dead on.

He complains about people lowballing, charging $15 a lawn. So he decides to jump into hardscapes by lowballing bigtime & that's somehow okay in his little world?????
Old 04-09-2010, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylawnwi View Post
& if were at 3K materials, 1,200 @ 10per hr ( 120 man hours ) , leaves 1900 profit. That is pretty damn close to 1/3 materials - 1/3 labor - 1/3 profit

I am not sure if that is how they use that calculation but that is what I am thinking. no?
To be clear, these are the costs you have told us:

Materials- $3100

Labor- $1200

"Profit"- $1900

It doesn't take a 5th grade education to see that's nothing close to 1/3, 1/3, 1/3. I don't want to seem rude but thats just a VERY obvious observation. That job should be $6k for just the patio, not to mention all the other stuff.

Edit: LOL I remember when $6k was a big job. Add a couple zero's then maybe its big....
Old 04-09-2010, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Meezer -- Dude seriously. You are just as rediculous as your chinsy website. Stay off if all you have is bashing comments. We already know I submitted a low price, never done a job like this before, not even a year in buisiness yet, have a lot to learn ( hence why I even came on this site ), & am looking for help not J.O.'s

GET it RIGHT. I didn't low ball. I had no CLUE how to price the job to industry standards. DUH! Also I didn't JUMP into Hardscaping it jumped on me. I didn't go out activly seeking brick jobs. I had a call from a referral and went to look at it and said hey I can do this job. It would be a good learning experiance.

I really don't see what is wrong with that. But bash away just to make you feel good about your own SHORT commings buddy. Good Luck to you. No one likes to work with, for, or give jobs to a JO. I am sure your people , friends, customers all can see it.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Mcornett or Edgewatter

on the 1/3 ruel some guys had mentioned on here.

If hypotheticaly speaking I have a job that:

3K materials
110 man hours calculated @ 30 per hr. $3300
Profit = 3K then ?

Submitted price barring no other costs that need to be factored in would be $9300 ?

Thanks.. I have never had to do this for any jobs we have had in the 8 months we have been in business no have I owned a busisness before. I want to make sure I keep up with the industry and I am not bringing the value of this type of work down in the future.

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2010, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumLandCon View Post
To be clear, these are the costs you have told us:

Materials- $3100

Labor- $1200

"Profit"- $1900

It doesn't take a 5th grade education to see that's nothing close to 1/3, 1/3, 1/3. I don't want to seem rude but thats just a VERY obvious observation. That job should be $6k for just the patio, not to mention all the other stuff.

Edit: LOL I remember when $6k was a big job. Add a couple zero's then maybe its big....

Platinum,

You do realize that by pointing out the VERY obvious that it would brand you, as it was done to others, according to OP, a basher
Old 04-09-2010, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

My buddy who lives in the Arm Pit of America , Mr. Ram Masonry. Just realx and do your thing and let us worry about our stuff out here. No need to get your panties in a bunch over this small company trying to learn and grow. We will build and maintain good relationships with other Great guys and companies.

Cheers.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Trying to be real. Just need to learn from people who are willing to give good advice and realize the situation. I'm away.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylawnwi View Post
My buddy who lives in the Arm Pit of America , Mr. Ram Masonry. Just realx and do your thing and let us worry about our stuff out here. No need to get your panties in a bunch over this small company trying to learn and grow. We will build and maintain good relationships with other Great guys and companies.

Cheers.

My dear Mylawnwi,

Since you've been busy checking out our website, you can easily see that part of our service area happens to be the "Greater Chicagoland" area. So as you can see Pilgrim, your lowballing does affect our company as well as other legit contractors in the area.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Take it easy kid a lot of guys started out like you.

Most of the advice you’ve received is good. You need to get in the habit of thinking fixed vs. variable costs. Even if you don’t pay for (labor burden): insurance, workman’s comp, payroll taxes, etc.

Illinois has an excellent Landscape Contractor Association. Go to ILCA.net visit their website and consider a membership. The $450.00 or whatever you pay as member is overhead. You pay fee that whether you sell 1 patio or 100, whether it snows 1” or 100”, mow 1 lawn or 100. Hopefully you get the idea.

If you get in the habit now it will pay off later when you get “big.”