Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2010, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Blue grass help

Is there a post emergent that controls blue grass in bermuda in zone 7b this late in the season or is round up my only option oh yeah money is a factor, I didn't get on these properties until january 1st so I was unable to pre- m in the fall thanks grassrat
Old 03-31-2010, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In terms of bluegrass, im assuming your meaning poa triv and poa annua? If so i know velocity is used up here to take poa triv and annua out of bentgrass, rye, kent blue, and fescue. Im not entirely sure about bermuda since its not really that common up here on golf courses. This product porbably does cost a good amount, but just thought i would mention it.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks tombo, I'll do my homework
Old 03-31-2010, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Indeed, it is Poa I'm referring to not the other blue grass.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Monument
Certainty
Pronamide
Sencor
Revolver
Prograss
These are safe on Bermuda grass species
I do not understand why each individual's state doesn't provide or allow access to information involving what chemicals are available and what they are for. Each year, I obtain a new MP booklet from our state extension services. (I can go online and read the text from the state website). The first book is free and each copy after that is 15.00. It will list all chemicals available, their usage, their rates, their common and trade name, and especially the cost associated with their acid equivalents. The only information that is not listed is a supplier for the chemical.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Now we are talking I'm familiar with revolver, but was told by lesco that it won't kill it being that my window is closing on the dormancy of the bermuda we are getting some green up i was told not to use round up due damage to the starches in the grass? How about some good ole topical burn (scythe) with a half rate of round up?
Old 03-31-2010, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Rat,
The use of scythe and glyphosate is the total fast burn down non selective combination. It will suppress poa annua alone but combined with gly, it should burn it down and kill the roots. Why not Duel (gly and diquat dibromide) either way, It will burn down green sprouts of bermuda and you will notice slower green out.
I use gly alone in my tanks for dormant muda. It takes a little longer to react in cooler weather but once the temps jump up, the poa falls down. I am still using gly right now to burn out bermuda lawns. If it is a risk you are willing to take, it is less expensive to use your method. Sometimes, it leaves you in poor posture explaining the slow green up.
If I am not mistaken, Pelorgoric acid is the same combination used in roundup weather max. Sorry if i am wrong as i havent used it in a while because of expense.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok info is power and reassurance is even better these are the first full bermuda lawns I've had to maintain, fescue is the predominant grass here for now, so warm season is a
whole nother culture mowing height ph etc... Green to clarify you said my method is less expensive but i think you meant yours since scythe is not cheap atleast not on a commercial application. or did you mean duel?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
Monument
Certainty
Pronamide
Sencor
Revolver
Prograss
These are safe on Bermuda grass species
I do not understand why each individual's state doesn't provide or allow access to information involving what chemicals are available and what they are for. Each year, I obtain a new MP booklet from our state extension services. (I can go online and read the text from the state website). The first book is free and each copy after that is 15.00. It will list all chemicals available, their usage, their rates, their common and trade name, and especially the cost associated with their acid equivalents. The only information that is not listed is a supplier for the chemical.
I need one of those books. I've always just done my own research to get my answers. It's a little risky to be spraying blanket apps of Glyphos here. The bermuda is starting to wake up along buidings, streets and sidewlalks. I sprayed Sencor (metribuzin) on one yesterday. I've had great results with it in the past...on bermuda lawns with Annual Bluegrass.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Ted here too we ware getting some green up on the concrete edges and the south side exposures. I should have mentioned that it is only spot apps that are needed. I too need to check the coop extension to see if we have such a valuable tool. Hopefully my liscense money is going to good use.