Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2010, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Only walkbehinds

My Toro Z is getting very old. Its about time to think about replacing it. I love all these new stander style mowers and all the Z's... There is really no limit to the number of toys you can buy.... unless, like me, you only want to pay cash.

I am considering selling my Z and just find a good used Toro 36 wb that I can pay cash for. I already run one that has been very reliable and low maintenance.

None of my yards are over 1/3 acre. And even those are broken up with lots of landscaping. It wouldnt be a big switch to run only walks.

Anyone else too tight to buy the new shiny machines and only run walkbehinds?
Old 04-05-2010, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Huh...guess not.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally I'd rather run a $3,000 walk behind and have $7,000 in my pocket than have a ztr for $10,000 and no money in my pocket, but I don't mow enough lawns to really have a use for a ztr.
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 04-05-2010, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I did it for 5 years, Wb's only.
For the 8 years I've been in business I've owned 5 mowers but only bought two of them new, and one was the Z.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my great dane 52 z stays on the trailer a lot more than the toro 44 walk behind.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive done OK buying a used Z. No regrets. But it seems like good clean used walk behinds are fairly easy to find. Not to mention I can fix just about anything on a wb but not always on a Z.

I agree with Clean cut that Id rather have the money. When you buy a $10,000 machine, you gotta mow alot of grass to just break even.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

do you currently have another wb? I would maybe try to get like a 48 or something if you have the access with gates and stuff, or a 36 and a 48, you can probably get both of those for the price a a ZTR and on the more open yards just get them done quicker.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know. When I moved to NC from MD 4 years ago I swore to myself that I wasn't going to cut anything larger than 1/4 acre. I did some bigger properties in MD by myself and I'm not getting any younger. But here I am 4 years later and better than 1/2 of my properties are 1/2 acre and larger. It just works out in this area, like in MD, that the majority of people that want their grass cut are on larger lots. I just wouldn't be happy without a 60" deck. You can get them in a walk behind but I have a bad hip and just can't stand that long.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I don't know. When I moved to NC from MD 4 years ago I swore to myself that I wasn't going to cut anything larger than 1/4 acre. I did some bigger properties in MD by myself and I'm not getting any younger. But here I am 4 years later and better than 1/2 of my properties are 1/2 acre and larger. It just works out in this area, like in MD, that the majority of people that want their grass cut are on larger lots. I just wouldn't be happy without a 60" deck. You can get them in a walk behind but I have a bad hip and just can't stand that long.
That does make sense with those size yards to cut. All of mine being very small and just a few medium size...I just cant justify it. My old Z is only a 44" deck and is plenty for my small city lots.