Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-28-2015, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Can't believe how cheap things are

My daughter calls me up and says 'Dad, our mower won't run right and it's only a year old". Even though we're in Florida the mower hasn't been run for the last couple of months. So I go pick it up and figure I'll clean out the carb and see if that will help. It's just a little Briggs on a Troy-Built push mower. I examine it and see that the carb is all plastic. I think to myself, well, maybe thats good, less chance of corrosion. I take it apart and clean it out without actually removing the carb. While putting it back I realize that the carb is loose. I think to myself that maybe the problem was air slipping past the gasket between the block and carb. I come to find out that the carb isn't even held on by bolts! It's just pressed over a manifold with a gasket around it! A "press fit carb". How cheap can they get? Boy, I must be getting really old.
http://www.klawns.com
Old 03-28-2015, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

everything is crap now days. there are pushmowers 50 years old still going strong. they made them to last back then. now they are junk and you throw them away every few years and buy a new one.

i guess it's their way of "stimulating the economy"
Old 03-28-2015, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Member

There is now a Briggs & Stratton engine on consumer mowers that they advertise as "Lifetime Oil".

You never change it, just add a little when it's low.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, because by the time you've used enough to completely refill it, the engine is no good anymore. Why bother with an oil change.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerman90 View Post
My daughter calls me up and says 'Dad, our mower won't run right and it's only a year old". Even though we're in Florida the mower hasn't been run for the last couple of months. So I go pick it up and figure I'll clean out the carb and see if that will help. It's just a little Briggs on a Troy-Built push mower. I examine it and see that the carb is all plastic. I think to myself, well, maybe thats good, less chance of corrosion. I take it apart and clean it out without actually removing the carb. While putting it back I realize that the carb is loose. I think to myself that maybe the problem was air slipping past the gasket between the block and carb. I come to find out that the carb isn't even held on by bolts! It's just pressed over a manifold with a gasket around it! A "press fit carb". How cheap can they get? Boy, I must be getting really old.
So, does it run better now? If not, you may be right about sucking in air around the carb joint. Maybe you could try some permatex gasket maker that is good for use around oils and/or fuel and "weld" it on.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cant expect too much out of a 90$ mower
Old 03-28-2015, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Yeah, because by the time you've used enough to completely refill it, the engine is no good anymore. Why bother with an oil change.
exactly!!!
Old 03-29-2015, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

you should know better than to buy a troybuilt in the first place if you are in this biz-even if its for personal use
Old 03-29-2015, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopy Shoe View Post
There is now a Briggs & Stratton engine on consumer mowers that they advertise as "Lifetime Oil".

You never change it, just add a little when it's low.
Maybe that's because the expected lifetime is only 2 yrs.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 25 year old toro push mower that starts second pull, wile my 3 year old one takes 5 or 6 pulls to get it going. Really is a let down to see how they are cutting cost in every way possible.