Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-10-2011, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
Always love to read your posts Jim you got a certain style about your writing.
X3, totally agree!
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 12-10-2011, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
You're making analogies that are unrealistic again.... You always go to the extremes.....

What I am saying is that I think people want to listen to others who are successful in their industry. Someone who is looking at how to handle a certain problem that comes up in the industry is going to naturally gravitate toward someone who has actually came across that problem dozens of times and figured out a solution to it.

When they are looking for a good method of installing something that they are new at, they will naturally take the advice of someone who has actually done a hundred installations over someone who has only done half a dozen.

When they are seeking advice for what kinds of marketing works best, they are naturally going to value the advice of someone who has actually done TONS of marketing and tried every single type of advertising out there multiple times and can say from experience how they all work over some other guy with a smaller company who doesn't have nearly as much experience in that department.

When they have a question like, "How would you handle this situation....?" They will usually value the advice of someone who's actually been in that situation many times over a long time with a lot of different customers over someone who has only dealt with it once or twice with a few customers.

The more business you've done over the years, the more experience you have. And normally, people pay attention to those with more experience. Your company size, sales, etc. is a big indicator of how long you've been around, how many customers you service, and how much experience you've had in the industry.

And if you actually we're making anywhere close to the kind of money you were referring to - all from this industry - yes. I'd be wanting to talk to you a little more than most of the other guys on Lawnsite. I'd be writing you a PM asking if I could buy you dinner one night and pick your brain. Because if you had made that kind of money you're definitely doing a whole hell of a lot of things right. And I like to learn from people who have been more successful then myself.
Interesting.

So again I will point out ...... success is subjective. You are not the only yardstick Jim. Further, what does throwing around gross earnings and equipment lists have anything to do with experience and knowledge?
I'll save you the trouble and answer that question ..... NOTHING!
Old 12-10-2011, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
So let's say I net 1.8 mil a year and have 6.3 mil in assets. Will that make my posts, knowledge and opinions worth more?
No amount of money will make your posts, "knowledge" and opinions worth more.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
No amount of money will make your posts, "knowledge" and opinions worth more.
Yup .... you can't put a price on accurate and actionable information backed by experience.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Right. And what exactly is your experience in Kiril? Because as far back as I can remember you've never posted any examples of your work or anything at all about your company, what you do, where you do it, or anything at all to tell us that you really have experience in this industry.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 12-10-2011, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idealscape View Post
I haven't been on the site long...like a week at best. Our company is what you may consider large...$4-5m per year. Check out my thread on "pictures" page. I'm pretty humble and willing to help by answering questions you may have about proper growth, employees, time management and so on. We certainly dont believe in belittling anyone, and as you will read, we dont consider ourselves to be anybodys competition. Cheers guys, there is no such thing as a little company, just another company getting started. We started with an '86 Ford dump truck and a few shovels!
Posted via Mobile Device
i tryed to pm you but its blocked?
echo srm 266 trimmer
echo srm 2400 trimmer
redmax ebz 6500 blower
echo bp 250 blower
john deere stick edger
2 crapsman push mowers
20 inch key start lawnboy self propelled
weedeater gas hedgetrimmer

5 years in business
Old 12-10-2011, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Interesting.

So again I will point out ...... success is subjective. You are not the only yardstick Jim. Further, what does throwing around gross earnings and equipment lists have anything to do with experience and knowledge?
I'll save you the trouble and answer that question ..... NOTHING!
A large Gross earning and equipment list DO have something to do with Knowledge and experience, If you are making $ and buying equipment you must be doing something write. Growing a business is what most people want to do and they want to hear from others that are successful. Sadly There is not much to learn here because people like you come on here and act like a$$ hole to people like Mr Jim Lewis who are all ways trying to help others.
2-TORO Z MASTER'S 25/62 JOHN DEERE 757 -25/60
LESCO Z2 25/60 TORO Z MASTER 19/52 SCAG WB/48
82 CHEVY 4X4 - MEYER'S PLOW- BILLYGOAT LOADER
83 F600- 9INCH DIESEL BRUSH BANDIT CHIPPER
8X24 SHADO MASTER V NOSE ENCLOSED
trailers -6.5X14 - 6.5X16 - 18 FT EQUIPEMET
Old 12-11-2011, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
Always love to read your posts Jim you got a certain style about your writing.
I agree, its nice to have Jim here and I love to read his posts.

Dave...
Old 12-11-2011, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Yup .... you can't put a price on accurate and actionable information backed by experience.
I don't think anyone would argue with your extensive typing experience.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheC-Master View Post
I've read on that too, and from all the successful people like Rich Dad, Poor Dad, Millionaire Mind, and Donald Trump, I believe you make your own destiny and reality. Unfortunately many people have a "poor mind", they want to "just make it' and that's what they do. It's why Donald Trump was in 900 million dollars of debt and he came back on top and why people who win the lottery end up broke, they just can't handle the money.

Most of it comes from their parents and backgrounds telling them they can only be really poor (government assistance) or middle class ( just getting by), but to get to the top you have to take educated risks and get out of your comfort zone. I don't find it feasible how someone can work somewhere they hate for the rest of their lives. I've done grind jobs (quick jobs) I hated as I moved up and I'm not that old. But I plan on having complete passive income (meaning I don't have to do the labor myself, and I make money when I sleep) in a year or two. It's doable.

Some people have more of a knack for money, but you still have to expand your reality and content to keep moving up. Those who are the best always want to learn more, while those who stay where they are don't want to learn anything and rather stick with their beliefs. I never understood why people think things just fall into my lap, when my peers are generally doing nothing with themselves overall and I'm working hard and even had to do a second job while in school.

And example of a poor mind. I tend to wear suits everyday when I'm not out, because I find them comfortable and because I like them and how they look and the professional aspect behind it. Older people, foreign people, and other successful people understand accept and appreciate it, but the younger generation doesn't understand as much. He asked why I wore suits because I mowed lawns and wasn't a businessman. He was only 12 but I had to explain to him the concept of business and applying it. I don't even like people to know what I have or where I live because of the jealousy anyways, and people would rather hate someone who has more than them instead of trying to find out their secret and move towards it. I try to hang around other large thinkers and successful people, as negative and lazy people tend to drag you down.

Rant over.
fantastic post. Learning the tangible part of lawncare is the easy part. Opening one's self to unfamiliar perspectives is the challenge.
Posted via Mobile Device