Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2010, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltime lawn guy View Post
I hoping to gross 5k this year! Are you impressed yet?
That's what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LwnmwrMan22 View Post
I would get bashed all the time when I was gross $120-140k working solo.
When you're not the norm, everyone else wants to call b.s.
So where and when do we call bs, or do we just let it go on to see how big the figures can get?
Realistically speaking, most folks can't take 100-hour work weeks for long, 3-4 maybe 6 months.
Sure, you're not the norm, but let this thread run its course and soon nobody is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WholeSaleSteve View Post
Many people suffer from "Affluenza". They hate to see someone make good money and do well. Its perverse being successful is somehow shameful?? Even the Govt. wants to tax you more if you makre more as punishment.
Some people might also count their best month's income x 12 as their annual gross
so as to rank decent and not feel left out once threads like these really get a move on.

Seriously, do you think I would speak of my worst year here?
No, I'd pick the best, does that make it an accurate and realistic representation?
And once someone realizes what I did, why not just pick the best week x 52?
Soon as that figure pops out the next guy's looking for his best DAY

It's not that I'm against it, but threads like these, the income figures just keep growing and growing.
It is only a matter of time before it gets so deep.

Last edited by topsites; 04-03-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
mowerman22 - that is some great wisdom there. I have heard more than once on here that when you are at the point of maxing out your work vs. your time available as a solo, you are making your best margins right there. That is where I want to be within a couple years, and may not progress beyond that point for the reasons you stated.
Law of diminishing returns. The more workers you have the smaller you make per job, but you are supposed to make up for it by volume. Working solo and making tons of money is fantastic if it is your passion, the problem is there is only so much you can do and you will max out eventually, and that doesn't consider things like any injury.

Like I said though, nothing wrong with being solo.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was explaining that to my dad some time back. Just because you have 3 people doesn't make you finish 3x faster. It diminishes per each worker you have on a crew, and there are only so many that you need on a crew anyways, after that it becomes inefficient. I think with smaller properties 2 is great, 3 or so for some of the slightly larger ones.

Sorry for the double post. Time ran out.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheC-Master View Post
Law of diminishing returns. The more workers you have the smaller you make per job, but you are supposed to make up for it by volume. Working solo and making tons of money is fantastic if it is your passion, the problem is there is only so much you can do and you will max out eventually, and that doesn't consider things like any injury.

Like I said though, nothing wrong with being solo.
I have studied something very interesting for some years, a concept of mine.

And I can't rightly explain it but it almost seems to me as IF one is somehow
pre-destined to earn a certain amount throughout one's life and this apparently
varies little, although we tend to try awful hard to change it.
Frustrating...

It's a bit to do with that thing about, no matter what I do, it's the SAME money at the end of the month.

Ever notice that crap, been earning x amount for so many years, want to double it?
Forget it, not in 20 years lol, other than perhaps inflation.
Then there are those times where one gets the illusion that somehow suddenly there is a lot
more money coming in, but sure enough at the end of the month, nope, not there.

Meanwhile the guy up the street is raking in how much more, assuming similar levels of education and
that there's no drug deals going on out back and all of that...

It really does make one wonder, but how is it possible?

Last edited by topsites; 04-04-2010 at 03:13 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscraper1 View Post
I see that someone understood the questions, thanks.

I understand what you mean by the margins being better. When I was a smaller company, the margins were better also. But, with more gross you can still make more money with less margin.

Example:
Landscaper #1 Grosses $100K a year. Makes a 20% profit. That's $20K.
Landscaper #2 Grosses $500K a year. Makes a 10% profit. That's $50K.

If you can control your debt, I would say 10% is pretty good in this economy.
wow someone who gets it! This is the most intelligent statement I have read on here in a while. It is very hard to get solo opps to understand this very statement. Thank you for posting. My profit is 25% 2009 20% 2008.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
I have studied something very interesting for some years, a concept of mine.

And I can't rightly explain it but it almost seems to me as IF one is somehow
pre-destined to earn a certain amount throughout one's life and this apparently
varies little, although we tend to try awful hard to change it.
Frustrating...

It's a bit to do with that thing about, no matter what I do, it's the SAME money at the end of the month.

Ever notice that crap, been earning x amount for so many years, want to double it?
Forget it, not in 20 years lol, other than perhaps inflation.
Then there are those times where one gets the illusion that somehow suddenly there is a lot
more money coming in, but sure enough at the end of the month, nope, not there.

Meanwhile the guy up the street is raking in how much more, assuming similar levels of education and
that there's no drug deals going on out back and all of that...

It really does make one wonder, but how is it possible?
I've read on that too, and from all the successful people like Rich Dad, Poor Dad, Millionaire Mind, and Donald Trump, I believe you make your own destiny and reality. Unfortunately many people have a "poor mind", they want to "just make it' and that's what they do. It's why Donald Trump was in 900 million dollars of debt and he came back on top and why people who win the lottery end up broke, they just can't handle the money.

Most of it comes from their parents and backgrounds telling them they can only be really poor (government assistance) or middle class ( just getting by), but to get to the top you have to take educated risks and get out of your comfort zone. I don't find it feasible how someone can work somewhere they hate for the rest of their lives. I've done grind jobs (quick jobs) I hated as I moved up and I'm not that old. But I plan on having complete passive income (meaning I don't have to do the labor myself, and I make money when I sleep) in a year or two. It's doable.

Some people have more of a knack for money, but you still have to expand your reality and content to keep moving up. Those who are the best always want to learn more, while those who stay where they are don't want to learn anything and rather stick with their beliefs. I never understood why people think things just fall into my lap, when my peers are generally doing nothing with themselves overall and I'm working hard and even had to do a second job while in school.

And example of a poor mind. I tend to wear suits everyday when I'm not out, because I find them comfortable and because I like them and how they look and the professional aspect behind it. Older people, foreign people, and other successful people understand accept and appreciate it, but the younger generation doesn't understand as much. He asked why I wore suits because I mowed lawns and wasn't a businessman. He was only 12 but I had to explain to him the concept of business and applying it. I don't even like people to know what I have or where I live because of the jealousy anyways, and people would rather hate someone who has more than them instead of trying to find out their secret and move towards it. I try to hang around other large thinkers and successful people, as negative and lazy people tend to drag you down.

Rant over.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My biz partner and I each netted around $40k last year (I say net after expenses but before taxes). One crew with 4 guys. Just fired one for stealing cash from us so we are down to one crew with 3 guys... The one that was let go constantly milked the clock every chance he got, so I think we will actually do better without him.

That's been about average for us the last few years... we have never done a hole lot in the winter time. Maybe 30 leaf removal jobs all winter... would love to have more work in the winter but still trying to find a good way to get it. So 90+ percent of our net comes from the summer months.

We cut around 100 residentials a week when we are in full swing, we have a total of 150 ish accounts but some are biweekly (I hate those but I take what I can get right now). Average price right at $40 per yard.

I think our gross was somewhere in the $150,000 range. I just finished up taxes so the next thing on my plate to do is get hard numbers on our gross and expenses.

Put out a good number of postcards (around 4000) for more business and the phone just really started to ring at the end of last week... Already picked up 5 new accounts, and my biz partner has 4 more estimates to give monday. So hopefully we can pickup around 30 or 40 more... at least that's what we are shooting for this year (total number of accounts arould 180 or 190 is our goal by end of year).
14x7 landscaping trailer
12x6 P&T hydro dump trailer w/leaf box
We run Gravely ZTRs, Honda 21"s, Kawasaki trimmers, Redmax Backpacks, LittleWonder loader
Old 04-05-2010, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemco View Post
My biz partner and I each netted around $40k last year (I say net after expenses but before taxes). One crew with 4 guys. Just fired one for stealing cash from us so we are down to one crew with 3 guys... The one that was let go constantly milked the clock every chance he got, so I think we will actually do better without him.

That's been about average for us the last few years... we have never done a hole lot in the winter time. Maybe 30 leaf removal jobs all winter... would love to have more work in the winter but still trying to find a good way to get it. So 90+ percent of our net comes from the summer months.

We cut around 100 residentials a week when we are in full swing, we have a total of 150 ish accounts but some are biweekly (I hate those but I take what I can get right now). Average price right at $40 per yard.

I think our gross was somewhere in the $150,000 range. I just finished up taxes so the next thing on my plate to do is get hard numbers on our gross and expenses.

Put out a good number of postcards (around 4000) for more business and the phone just really started to ring at the end of last week... Already picked up 5 new accounts, and my biz partner has 4 more estimates to give monday. So hopefully we can pickup around 30 or 40 more... at least that's what we are shooting for this year (total number of accounts arould 180 or 190 is our goal by end of year).
I like how you know your numbers. Bravo.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscraper1 View Post
I am curious. I have not been a member here for very long. In these few month's I have noticed that most members have very small companies, if they are a company at all. Most seem to be one man operations. Are there any landscapers out there making over $500,000? If so can you post some info about yourself and your company? Such as:

When and how you started the business?
What you gross in a year?
How many employees?
What trucks and equipment you use?
How's your profit margin in these tough times?

You don't have to put down your business name. I am just curious to see the response as, I am sure you would be as well. Thanks
Bump. So far only one company makes over this on this site???
Old 04-07-2010, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah, I know of some other larger companies used to be on here.

Truthfully though, what do they have to gain by being on a board like this?

If you're at that stage, most likely you've already refined YOUR business to suit YOUR needs.

With the margins being so small once you get to that size, you're going to HAVE to be efficient, KNOW what machines work best for YOU.

Sure, there are other little tips and ideas that you may not have thought about, but nothing that's going to completely change your day to day operation.

The only thing that happened when the larger companies would post, was the exact same thing that happened earlier in this thread.

The rest have all moved on.