Register free!

Old 04-02-2010, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Cleaning Back pack of round up

Im am about to start spot sparying some yards and need to get all round up out of it so it want kill grass.Any tips or tricks will be helpful.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Rinse it out with water, spray water through the wand and go.

Even if you had an ounce or two of straight roundup in a 4 gallon BP youd never see any damage. At those rates it's nothing more than a PGR.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:00 AM
LawnSite Member

x2 honestly you could just empty it and put what evedr you are using in there and just spray some out in a bucket to purge the gly. mix out of the wand and you would be good. I spray gly out of my skid sprayer multiple times a year. I used to wash it out but now I just make sure it is empty and load up just like normal. I just make sure to take my spray gun and spray into the tank for a couple mins. Never had a problem at all. I do the same thing with back pack sprayers except I just spray onto some gravel or something to get what was in the wand out
Old 04-03-2010, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Recommended cleaning agent for Roundup is water, should have no problems.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

FL says you got to rinse it 3X with clear water... fill the tank 1/2 way one more time and pump it up to clear the hose, gun & nozzle. Roundup is a salt a corrosive... good sprayers are expensive.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Also you can't leave rounup in the tank for long periods of time, it looses it's efficacy and will rust/rot your sprayer fittings
Old 04-10-2010, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

James, I wouldn't do it.
There is a long sad story on here from last year when Whitey, used his backpack with Roundup. Somehow he killed the whole lawn, 3000 sqft. He spent two days stripping the old sod out and resodding the lawn. It was hot that week.
Keep in mind that in backpack sprayers there is a hidden pressure reserve chamber which contains mostly air, but it can fill with the spray solution. Turning the sprayer upside down does not empty the chamber. Use a second sprayer for grass. And a third for shrubs. At a minmum--clean it out--then test it on some of your own flowers.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I used my backpack sprayer for the last week with round-up (Only 2 Gallon mixture) and when finished I put one half gallon of water in it and used that as if it was round-up. 2nd, I filled it with 2 gallon and sprayed the whole 2 gallon through the wand. 3rd, Another 2 gallon and added a scoop of liquid tide washing detergent and sprayed that through the sprayer.

Call me being safe and thorough

Now do have a question here.
It's a Solo 4 Gallon backpack sprayer and the wand wants to leak, whats wrong?

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 04-10-2010, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Triple rinse.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't do it. I rinsed mine thoroughly and still killed some of a customers lawn. Luckily they didn't have too many weeds so it wasn't too bad. But I still had to reseed quite a bit.

That being said. I run 2 back packs now. They aren't that expensive and they are much cheaper than having to reseed anything. Just go pick up another solo and call it a day.