Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2010, 03:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I really want to talk back to my customer!!!!!!!!

Here is my story, I have a customer that I also work with in the winter when there isn't any snow. Sounds great? Not. He doesn't like to pay his workers on time. He is a big shot builder and I was grateful that he hired me to do Framing, drywall and taping.

The last check took a month to pay me!! Well here comes spring cleanup. I went there from 10-2 and in that middle I had to refill my gas can. My luck the house wife had to do some chores and with the timing of us two she thought I was out more then 15min to refill my gas can for my blower. I charged $120

He texts me versus leaving a voice mail which is a signal of a problem that he doesn't want to face up. Stating my wife said you started and was wondering if you would finish tomorrow (saturday) what a rude comment in my opinion!!! Then I text him back which was late in the day didn't want to be rude and call but I said I will be there tomorrow. He said there was stick in the flower beds and on the porch!! He said there were still leaves!! I do high quality and I know I don't leave a job until it's 100% done. I never had a problem with any customers. I have a feeling the wife said oh hunny he makes $120 in 4 hours!! She does have him whipped. The f***** house wife doesn't understand how to run a business. I used a lot of gas in my blowers, truck, wear & tear, etc.

I really want to tell him off and say are you gonna pull the same stunt like you do with your construction workers and say also don't always believe what your wife say's. I think his wife is pissed that I made $120 in 4 hours and he wants me to spend more time on the lawn so she is happy

He has been a pain lately and I want to say clean your own dog crap I aint gonna power wash it off your pool or scrap it and I am jackin up your price for being a ****** bag and all the dog crap that I run over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I had to vent and it's 3AM You know it takes a lot for someone to piss me off and I know it's not good to burn bridges but on that street I do 8 homes and he knows my clients pretty well.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Old 04-03-2010, 03:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Better vent here than to lose a job. Especially one that covers the off season.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

SARCASM ALERT!!!!

You just said you only charged $30 per hour for a cleanup? Holy COW!!! You can't survive on that!!! You have to charge double that because someone else in some other part of the country does!!!

END OF SARCASM ALERT!!!
Old 04-03-2010, 03:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Does talking back make you any money?
Does working for him make you any money?

These are the questions I ask myself when running my business. I can't let my feelings get in the way of a good business decision.

Some of the best business decisions involve saying "no" to work. I don't think any of them involve talking back.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeded! View Post
Does talking back make you any money?
Does working for him make you any money?

These are the questions I ask myself when running my business. I can't let my feelings get in the way of a good business decision.

Some of the best business decisions involve saying "no" to work. I don't think any of them involve talking back.
This is great advise......also, i am sure you have heard the saying " Don't cut off your nose to spite your face "
Old 04-03-2010, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are you still a teenager? $30 an hour is nothing. I did a clean up 2 days ago and made close to $100 an hour, gross of course.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
Are you still a teenager? $30 an hour is nothing. I did a clean up 2 days ago and made close to $100 an hour, gross of course.
you da man
Old 04-03-2010, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Send him a real bill doubling the price (since that is what it should be at the min) and then let him complain. If he doesn't get it take him to small claims.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Sponsor

Customers like to *itch. I own a LCO and a dealership and deal with literally 100s of people a week. Many folks arn't happy if they arn't *itching. My advice is to not let it get to you, be polite and enjoy spending his money when your done. Customers used to get to me and I had all of the same thougs and feelings you did. I've been in this business 18 years..since I was 16...and I have just learned to not stress as much. Doesn't mean I don't care, I just have learned most people are never happy.

WHOLESALE TO THE PUBLIC "LOWEST PRICES--WORTH THE DRIVE"

Toro*Hustler*Dixie Chopper*Snapper Pro*Snapper*Red Max*Tanaka

9420 NW 13th Street
US HWY 441 North
Gainesville, Florida 32653
352-494-3574 Direct Line
352-379-3130 Showroom
Old 04-03-2010, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

He gave me a lot of work and plus he said if the price is to high I will do the cleanup myself. The lawn wasn't even bad. I charged $400 last fall and it took about 5 hours I think. The lawn is easy it's all woods around the house it's just a lot of flower beds.

I am not a teen I am 25 but going back to the subject.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."