Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2010, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cleaned deck...now what?

Ok, I've only used my new mower a few times but it's amazing how that grass dries and sticks like concrete. I should have plenty of FF in the mail tomorrow so I wanted to clean the deck the best I could before coating it with FF. I assume this is clean enough? Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. How thick should I apply the FF, assuming I'd be using the 1 gallon can and a brush? I thought I heard someone say you only need to apply this a few times per season? Does that mean only a few applications will keep the deck good enough so that I can simply rinse off the grass with a hose? I know I can always rinse after every single mowing but that is not really practical for me, especially in spring. Just wondering how long I can expect a good coating of FF to last and how much I should put on the first time.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

here's before and after pics of my push mower and a tractor deck. that's how much i typically use...

for best results one should (on average) probably coat the deck after they're weekly route is finished or, after every 5 uses as a home owner however... that is something that is going to depend on too many factors to say it's this this and this every time. wet grass is going to take a toll faster than dry, super tall is going to eat it up faster than a every week cut and, if you much leaves or have dusty lawns it's going to affect the longevity of the app as well. last year if i didn't do my 32 right after it was done with all 7 lawns (when they all got done on the same day which was rare) and, waited a few days it got harder to scrape off but no where near as hard as if there was no fluid film coating the deck at all. if i did it right after all 7 then the grass comes right off in your hand like nothing. don't have a Z so i can't offer an honest opinion but Dlawns will be around i'm sure and he'll give you his input. if i aint mistaking he does his about once a month. you'll prolly spend most of this season figuring out what works best for you but then you'll know
Old 03-22-2010, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've never brushed it on but I would put a generous heavy coating on for your first time putting it on there. I don't really have the time to hose off my deck every week so I usually will just scrape it weekly and reapply. Do I hit it every week? Not always during the busy time. You will learn as you go when it needs a reapplication. If I remember correctly, were you a homeowner. If so you should be able to go approximately 5 cuts before a reapp. But as Skynyrd said it will depend on conditions and you will see as you go. I hope that helped a little. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! Good luck...
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 03-22-2010, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys! I knew this would be answered well.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No problem.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 03-22-2010, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, guys. I got the goods today

Old 03-22-2010, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, what the crap? I want black undercoating guns bottles. Mine are kinda beige. lol I might just have to order some of them....
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 03-23-2010, 04:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

easy there bill i think our friend got his from a different place then we did. which if i'm right means he aint got cool key chains like we do
Old 03-23-2010, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm gonna have to put the sprayer to use. I tried brushing on a little, but lying down and trying to brush it under a deck is not an easy task. I'll just drive it next door to the in-laws and use their compressor and be done with it in 5 minutes. From my experience with the brush though, I think my 2 gallons is going to last quite awhile though
Old 03-23-2010, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got my sprayer all ready so I went next door and did a quick spray. I have to say that's the easiest way to go! The sprayer works perfectly and it works fast. I used about 3/4 of the plastic bottle you see in the previous post above. The result is below. I think that should do the trick. Maybe I'll hit the spindles a little more next time.