Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-04-2010, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Who Has Mowed Steepest Hill on a Zero Turn Rider?

Hey everyone, I have large, potentially very lucrative account with a huge hill, I'd call it 100 ft across at its widest, and 200ft (including 15-20ft of flat at the top and bottom) top to bottom. I'd estimate the slope to be between 35-45 degrees. 2 man crew, with plenty of other areas to mow on this lawn, so one could take his time on the hill if necesary. I have a little experiance mowiong my hill with the tiger cub, comparable in size, but only 20-30 degrees.

Here are my options:

19 hp Scag Tiger Cub (48" deck)
72 inch deck Zero Turn Kubota
20" John Deer self propelled wb
(Or let the account go eslewhere)

I'll try to get pics up soon, but here are my requests:

1. By the numbers, would you even attempt it on one of the zero turn riders I have and which one?
2. Post pictures (and any good videos if they exist) of a ZT rider mowing the steepest hills out there.

Any pics, videos, or advice will be appreciated, but PLEASE DONT go out and video tape yourself rolling your rider down a hill that you shouldnt be. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2010, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

if the kubota is the older zd28 i would go that route, i loved those on hills, very stable but not i had trans issues due to mowing hills, so i guess maybe not,hmm
Old 04-04-2010, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
if the kubota is the older zd28 i would go that route, i loved those on hills, very stable but not i had trans issues due to mowing hills, so i guess maybe not,hmm
It is older, not positive which model (its not mine and its not in my garage)would you mow it straight up and down, across, or angled?
Old 04-04-2010, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaley927 View Post
Hey everyone, I have large, potentially very lucrative account with a huge hill, I'd call it 100 ft across at its widest, and 200ft (including 15-20ft of flat at the top and bottom) top to bottom. I'd estimate the slope to be between 35-45 degrees. 2 man crew, with plenty of other areas to mow on this lawn, so one could take his time on the hill if necesary. I have a little experiance mowiong my hill with the tiger cub, comparable in size, but only 20-30 degrees.

Here are my options:

19 hp Scag Tiger Cub (48" deck)
72 inch deck Zero Turn Kubota
20" John Deer self propelled wb
(Or let the account go eslewhere)

I'll try to get pics up soon, but here are my requests:

1. By the numbers, would you even attempt it on one of the zero turn riders I have and which one?
2. Post pictures (and any good videos if they exist) of a ZT rider mowing the steepest hills out there.

Any pics, videos, or advice will be appreciated, but PLEASE DONT go out and video tape yourself rolling your rider down a hill that you shouldnt be. Thanks!
You need a good 52in wb with sulky. No way in hell I'm taking a ztr on a 40-45 degree slope. You're asking for trouble.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I mow a very steep hill, probably 30-40 degrees that is 300 foot long by about 75-100 feet up and down. I use my 60" diesel gravely to mow it. Take your time, and go up and down. Its hard on the hydro system, but I really have no other choice on a hill that size. The problem with the hill I do is that there is no landing on top, the hill ends with a chain link fence on top. I personally would still bid on the account, but take into account the extra time it will take you to mow the hill taking your time and price it accordingly.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Id walk it and like said above, bid accordingly for the extra time and more importantly, the risk...
Old 04-04-2010, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I will have to get a picture of this hill next week to show yall. It is probably a good 40 degree slope and 400+ feet long. The hill slopes is around 50-60 feet down to a pond. I am the only one that has been able to mow it because of the slope and it is very bumpy. It is either that one string trim the majority of it which would take the guys forever. I use a Toro 52" ZTR and go very slow on the first pass by the water and get as close as I can to cut down on string trimming and after the first three or four passes its not that bad. I go across, not up and down.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I mow alot of step hills I use a m60 tank it works just fine and I mow them cross ways
Old 04-04-2010, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

post some pics

Youtube Channel... http://tinyurl.com/l9a3843
Old 04-04-2010, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys...

what I'm hearing is go with the bigger ztr if i do decide to ride it... Just curious on this question: has anyone ever tried mowing straight down and going up backwards (to prevent flipping over backwards on the way up)? Would that be a viable option if all else fails?

I'd like to see some pictures of what you have rode or wouldnt ride.

Tags
hill , rider , slope , steep , steepest